The cost of a lawyer...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to open up a crowdfunding site, and I thought it would be good to have a lawyer go over it to make sure everything is written and set up in a way that won't cause legal problems. Does anyone know how much a lawyer costs to look over a business before it starts up? I'm just wondering about a ballpark figure, I don't know if it's $1,000 or $100,000.
    Thanks in advance :D
  2. mobilehaathi macrumors 604

Aug 19, 2008
    The Anthropocene
    That's not really an answerable question for people here. It would vary a lot depending on the lawyer, your expectations, the business, the hourly rate, etc. I suppose some will venture a guess, though.
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Whatever it is, I'm certain it is too much. And mobilehaathi is right, it's a bit difficult to answer.
  4. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
  5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004
    I have one here. It's 3.5 cm.
  6. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England

(It is probably more than $1,000 and less than $100,000.)

EDIT: The low end implies a task that can be accomplished in a few hours, the high end could be perfectly reasonable if it requires a number of attorneys for a week or two.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    to legit to quit.

thing is does it involve a 'Patent' lawyer, or just a normal business start-up and LLC/PLC or other paperwork. as above, your are asking the impossible from an internet forum. a 'ridiculously' well informed group, granted, but still... :):apple::D

if it is a for real idea and is going to turn into a real business... spend the money to build/improve/protect it. your life/money, just my two cents.

best of luck. send me the stock market symbol when/before it goes parabolic... :p