The Cult Of Mac - How far does your obsession go?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Hmm. When I was 8, I got a Preforma 410 40MB HD, 4MB RAM, Floppy. I loved it. Thought it was awesome. I didn't have internet or anything. I played around in Clarisworks and people used to give me disks with some little games on them (anyone remember cannon battle? :p). My grandpa gave me the old Apple dot matrix printer and I went sooo crazy, I used like 5 full ribbons in the first week. I was printing EVERYTHING. I was a heavy Hyperstudio user then, and I was printing from their like crazy, because it was smart enough to SHADE the "colors" printed from the Apple dot matrix. Printing from a normal app would either do black, or white. Hyperstudio would like put the certain dots closer or father away to make get the point. So, I made this business card. Of course it was black and white. It was the shape of a floppy disk, with my name written on it and "minimacspert" under that.

There was a place by us for the longest time (actually it's still around today, based out of someone's house) called MacSperts. So, probably voiding all copyright/trademark laws existing, I named myself minimacspert.

I had the Preforma till I was 9 when I was given a Quadra something or other. It had a CD drive, which got me extremely excited! I continued to use Hyperstudio because now I my computer was fast enough to do audio animations. Great times. Had this for only a week when.....

I won an iMac G3 333Mhz at our Apple User Group Christmas party and thought OS 8.6 was the coolest thing out there. So I got really into it, and before I knew it I was helping people fix their Macs. Soooo I made another business card (shown below, because I happened to find one).

It's too bad I can't find any of the old card...darn.

2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Sometimes I am embarrassed by this cult that exists. You see a lot of strange people who are obsessed with Macs with no life that come in and buy computers. I have a nice Mac and some nice accessories but I by no means where Apple clothes or go to LAN parties and stuff like that. But because of my mom I have some very valuable Mac accessories, including all original Think Different posters.

3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    Hm... I am in more than one page on that book (aka The Cult of Mac). Maybe that's far enough? :)
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    No obsession really. Over time I have moved over to Mac completely, simply because after using both OS X and XP at the same time, I have decided I like OS X better (though I still use, and support, Windows everyday at work). I will chip in a word for Mac whenever anyone is looking to get a new computer, but I by no means go out of my way to push it in to peoples faces, the decision is up to them. I don't get Mac magazines, no stickers or posters anywhere. Just my PowerBook and iMac serving me well.

...oh, and there's those 10,000 odd posts on a Mac forum...not sure if that counts...:p
  5. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    In public, it doesn't go all that far, though I am looking at getting a few Mac pride t-shirts... :rolleyes:
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

Hey, what page?

I mean.. I don't own that book! :p

I'm pretty bad on Cult of Mac-ing. I don't know why I'm so attracted to Mac and Mac users (although I DID see an old orchestra teacher that I really did NOT enjoy at the Apple store today.. He snuck up on my mom and I, put his hand on our shoulders, and was all... Heellloooo. I told her I wanted to leave after that. *shiver*)
    At the opening of the Woodlands store, I was in HEAVEN! Other Mac users, a giant Apple store, a free Apple T-Shirt, high-fiving clerks. IT WAS AWESOME!

I'm proud of my Mac, and people HEAR about it. Bahahaha.

/going to HQ on August 8.
    //will try to hit every Apple store between LA and SF and one in Dallas
    ///I need a life.
    ////Maybe I'll see Steve Jobs!!
    /////GLEE and Fark-slashes.
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I wear my Apple pins on my favorite blazers, and advocate Mac usage to all those who really don't know anything about computers but still want one (and typically end up with a Dell or a HP which I have to clean up too often) so I'm probably part of the Mac Cult.

Not sure I would call it an obsession, though... more like a combination of knowledge and common sense... ;)
  8. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    Well .. a full page picture, with a tattoo. If I tell the page numbers (aka featured in more than one page), far too easy. (forget some details in that book however.. gettin' married).
  9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

*flips through book*

when I'm older, I think I wanna get a little Apple Tattoo. Somewhere not too showy, though.
  10. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Hmmm, I'm not out preaching on street corners or handing out leaflets just yet. I do, however, have lots of books, some pens, 2 coffee mugs, an old Moof T-shirt that is ragged beyond belief but cannot part with, and I can't ever seem to throw out those cool white bags from the Apple Store.
    I don't push Macs at people, but have been known to offer "friendly advice" on occasion to friends as well as to imperfect strangers. No tattoo, but I've considered it.

I guess I'm borderline. ;)
  11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Most people here in academia general uses Macs. So, I guess it's somewhat common for people like me to have Macs. I have a G3 and G4 Powerbooks, and my wife has the G4 iMac. And just like a cult, we try to "encourage" friends and family to be "one of us." :D