The Cult of Macintosh

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Jul 4, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Amazon had this on my recommendations list. Releases in September.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...11EXFU3ZV&colid=1363FV6EXF41T#product-details

The Cult of Macintosh

About the Author
    Leander Kahney is a journalist who covers Apple and the Mac community for Wired News. Before joining Wired, he was a senior writer at MacWeek. He has written for numerous publications, including Wired Magazine, Scientific American, and the London Guardian.

Book Description
    There is no product on the planet that enjoys the devotion of a Macintosh computer. Apple's machines have legions of loyal, sometimes demented fans. The Cult of Mac surveys the devoted following that has grown up around Macintosh computers. Like fans of a football team or a rock group, Macintosh fanatics have their own subculture, with clearly defined obsessions, rites, and passages. Famously dedicated to their computers, many Mac fans eat, sleep, and breathe the Macintosh. Fans who get Mac tattoos and haircuts, people who attend Apple Store openings like they are Grateful Dead shows, counterculture icons who love the Mac, people who turn old Macs into aquariums (or bongs), Ellen Fein lookalike contests, erotic fiction featuring Steve Jobs; it's all here. Technology reporter Leander Kahney exposes all sides of Mac fanaticism, from the innocuous to the insane.

2. Koree macrumors 6502

Im buying this

It's quite true,

^^ we are not a cult but i think the title is just to catch the attention. Like in Korea, there is a book called, There is no Jesus. But it actualy means There is no Jesus like that. And its a book talking about some needed Christian reforms. Anyway sounds like a fun book!

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'd love to read it, but look at the price! I guess I'll wait until my library gets it... Ha! Bah.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Looks interesting, but I find a lot of the mac-fanatic books I read are really kinda cheesy and childish. Candy Imac era stuff... who knows, I'll prolly pick it up when I see it in B&N.