The Da Vinci Code Movie [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, May 17, 2006.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey guys,

Since I work in a cinema I am getting to see a advanced preview of The Da Vinci Code tonight. I am really excited about this film and I believe that it is going to be the biggest blockbuster we have ever seen.

The film doesn't get released world-wide until Friday but when I come home tonight I will tell you what I thought of the film. I read the book last year so I will try and also tell you how much it relates to the book.

Moreover, this thread can be used for discussing the film when it is officially released on Friday.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I'm really excited about this film. My brother and I are going to see it Friday night (we've already bought our tickets online, because I'm fairly certain it'll sell out).

I also just finished re-reading the book last night, so everything is fresh in my mind for viewing.

Just to show you how excited I am, this is the first movie in my entire 22-year-old life that I have ever seen on the first day of release.

3. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I think it's going to be the highest grossing film ever, what do you think?

4. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I'm going to go see it this weekend. I don't usually go to movies, but all the hype surrounding this one has convinced me to check it out.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I really enjoy the anti-movie/book hype surrounding it.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

its gotten some so-so reviews lately, but i really hope its good.
    Ron Howard usually does some pretty good work.

7. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Abinos of the World, Unite!

It was a pretty good beach book (or airplane book if you prefer). Certainly, the idea would make a good summer movie. But I can see it now, Albinos Against Racist Pop-culture (yes, that was intentional) will be picketing the world-wide premier. Interviews with Albinos who ask, "How come hollywood always makes us the bad guy, huh? Why is the bad guy always white? What's with that?" The look of blood-boiling outrage will be fairly easy to to discern .

Poor Tom Hanks will probably get drenched in white paint. So sad. Won't stop me from buying tickets though.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I don't know if I would call it the biggest blockbuster of our time. Its going to be quite a feat to beat Titanic.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

10. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Apparently it did really bad at cannes, a real let down.

due to trying to squeeze a book into a film, none of the drama or tension was left, only the plot line.

What a shame.

11. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

12. rjgonzales macrumors regular

Just from the few clips and trailers I've seen of it, it looks horrible. If it wasn't for the attempts to stop it from being released in the theater, I wouldn't bother seeing it....... what can I say, I'm an advocate of free speach.:p

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Thanks for this...I was about to put in my two cents. I totally agree.

It's fiction, people!!!

14. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

So much for "Politically Correct" thinking, eh?

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I didn't read the book, but I am familiar with its storyline... I was getting kind of excited to see the movie, but now I'm reconsidering. It's not that I'm offended by the subject matter, just that I'm getting a "bleh" kind of vibe from the film.

It might help, I suppose, if more of the storyline was actually going to be a surprise when it's revealed in the movie.

One thing I would like to point out before this thread gets moved to the Politics/Religion forum: It's nice that I've not heard of any death threats against Ron Howard, Dan Brown, Tom Hanks, or Audrey Tautou for working on this movie. If the subject of the film were an alternative history of Mohammed which suggested that he liked eating pork and had a Jewish wife, I'm quite sure that fatwas would already have been issued by now. Religions that are intolerant-to-the-point-of-making-death-threats of their symbols and beliefs being ridiculed or speculated about have a serious problem.

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

17. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

OK - I am just this minute back from the showing. In a word I am dissapointed.

P.S. For those of you who followed my 'Car Woes' thread - tonight I went to see 'When a Stranger Calls' @ 8:30 (which I thought was very good) then I drove over to Asda (a supermarket) to get some stuff for the Da Vinci code at 11pm. When I came out of the store, put the car into first gear, brought it to the bite, and took the handbreak off, the car does not move! If I try to drive off, the car pulls as me as if the handbreak is still on! The car is parked in an awkward position at Asda and will need to get fixed tomorrow! They told me the handbreak was sticking and I got it fixed - maybe they never fixed it right? Argh!

Anyway back to the film. I would not recommend this film if you have not read the book - I feel reading the book is imperative as the film to me, did not make a lot of sense at points. The French FBI guy was difficult to understand. I would have prefered the museum bit at the beginning to take longer. A lot of that is cut out.

I can't really place why I was dissapointed. A lot of the parts are like I imagined in the book but I was so excited about this film and I feel it failed to deliver my expectations.

18. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

FearFactor47, thank you for sharing your impressions of the film.

Honestly, who cares what the critics think. 90% of the time, a film they say is terrible I find to be fantastic (or vica-versa). Most critics view a film from a completely different perspective than the 99% of people that actually see the film will.

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm going to go see it, but I'm not really expecting much. I suspect I'll enjoy it, but a movie rarely improves upon a book. I also think that Tom Hanks was the wrong person to cast in the character - I don't know why, I just imagined Robert Langdon differently I guess.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So much controversy.....and why? It's a fiction book. Surely you're allowed to make stuff up in a fiction book. It's not like it has to be based on 100% facts. Nobody claims everything in that book is fact. Some of it is based on fact (although what's a "fact" in the religious world? It's a lot of interpretation.....), and some was obviously brought up so that the rest of the conspiracy in the novel could be written.

Which is why so many MacRumours members are waiting for "Snakes on a Plane"!! Admit it, folks. "Snakes on a Plane" will change your life.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That is the one movie I'm going to make an effort to see in theaters this year. It can't be worse than horrid and with expectations already set low... what can you lose? :)

For the unlearned...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_on_a_plane

22. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Well I have to interject here... I know the book is fiction but the way Dan Brown talks about it in all these moronic documentaries, he's pretty sure its based on fact. I believe at this time he's the only one that believes that, he seems quite stubborn... it almost makes me NOT want to read any sequal that he writes about it.

Quite honestly, his books aren't really well written... but they ARE entertaining. The 3 books that came before Da Vinci Code were far far FAR more entertaining though, and I'm dissappointed that they didn't make THEM into movies. I'll see the movie though, just for the fact that I enjoy watching the movie versions of the books I've read (except for Relic. I didn't enjoy that experience at all)

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm hoping to see it, just out of curiosity.

Of course no movie will change my opinion about the accuracy, honesty and integrity of organized religion.

24. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Holy crap that's hilarious.

The fake image on wiki is amazing.

Thanks.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

A book found in the FICTION section must be taken as such.

Its not in the NON-FICTION section

ITS ONLY A MOVIE!

ITS NOT A DOCUMENTARY!

ITS NOT LABELED REAL NOR "BASED ON A TRUE STORY" like Amityville etc!

If you want to believe the crap in the book, go right ahead. Its why people read FICTION, to have a good story. And obviously this is a GOOD STORY.

Keyword: STORY

whether based on fact or fiction, its still NOT TRUE!!

99% of Michael Crichton's (Jurassic Park etc) books are BASED on fact, but are still FICTION.

/rant

ps: go read Lamb : The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal