'The Daily' Available in App Store, In-App Subscriptions Now Supported

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the conclusion of today's media event to introduce the new iPad news publication The Daily, the application has now gone live in the App Store.
    Those looking to download The Daily are being met with updated iTunes Store terms and conditions reflecting the addition of "In-App Subscriptions" as debuting in The Daily. After a free two-week period, subscriptions to The Daily will be available at $0.99 per week or $39.99 per year, automatically billed to users' iTunes Store accounts.

[​IMG]

Article Link: 'The Daily' Available in App Store, In-App Subscriptions Now Supported

2. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    It's a welcome new platform for news. Hoping other players will release competing products soon.

3. macrumors 65816

citi

.99 per week is doable. May have to give it a try

4. macrumors 601

goobot

Is there something I need to turn off to not get billed after the 2 week free trial? Or just delete the app the day before it ends?

5. macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It should be interesting to try out.

I think they should make a Mac App too though in the App Store.

The MacBook Air 11-inch is becoming an increasingly desirable product compared to an iPad.

6. macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

Awesome, a whole new way to consume news. Kudos to all involved.

7. macrumors member

I'm sold, at only a dollar per week, it's a great buy.

8. macrumors 65816

citi

fixed it for you. ;)

9. macrumors 6502

can't hurt to try, but I'm wary of the subscription model - always forget to cancel in time.

10. macrumors 6502

too bad, us store only

11. macrumors regular

This app has crashed 5 times in a row after the initial graphic. I don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet.

12. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I won't see the app until later today, but it looks great from the pictures.

13. macrumors newbie

Paying for something I already get for free? No thanks...

14. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Cool to see subscriptions being supported. Nice. :)

15. macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Love the app. Hate the crashing.

16. macrumors regular

Cannot download from UK iTunes account...

Any info as to when it will be available in the UK - and any ideas of a workaround to get it in the meantime...? I don't have a USA registered credit card needed to set up as USA iTunes account :(

17. macrumors regular

Hrm. Anyone else notice it's marked as a Game Center enabled app? Maybe for the crossword?

18. ipedro, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

macrumors 68020

ipedro

I like it. I'd pay for it if it beats my skepticism and doesn't turn out to be a Fox News clone. If they remain centrist and unbiased, I can afford 99¢ for an iPad purpose built news app.

That said, other players will most likely come forward with their own, at which point we can choose our favourite.

Verdict: I'll wait and see.

19. macrumors 6502

Now I just need to get myself an iPad! :D

The Future is now ... Save the trees!!!
    No more printing of newspapers, magazines, books, or anything else for that matter....
    All gone. Like antennas on top of roofs, replace by cables and satellites, Newspapers and most printed material is being replaced by the iPad Age.

Maybe not at this moment but, soon. :eek:

20. macrumors 6502

nice app

pretty slick

two thumbs up

21. macrumors 65816

iZac

*sigh* can't believe I'm going to post this ...

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

22. macrumors regular

No international release is seriously weak. I've been looking forward to trying it too. Besides the fact that no localization is needed for English-speaking countries such as Canada, the UK and Australia, many people in Europe consume English media all day long, and are perfectly capable of reading a publication I'm English.

I think everyone besides America being excluded from this self-proclaimed digital renaissance is borderline offensive.

23. macrumors newbie

I'll definitely download it and test it, but I want to see what kind of slant the journalists have. Also, will it mostly be real news, or will it full of the entertainment/celebrity type news that so many sites focus on.

24. macrumors newbie

Fox Lite?

So, am I just going to get a Murdock edited version of the news, like I get with Fox News?

25. macrumors 68020

jclardy

It seems pretty cool, my only issue is that it seems to crash all the time...

At first I tossed it up to my iPad running the 4.3 beta but it seems other people are having similar problems.