'The Daily' News Service for iPad Set for December Media Event Launch?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 23, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we noted that Apple and News Corp appear to be in the final stages of preparing a new tablet-focused news service known as The Daily that would offer high-quality video content and interactivity for $0.99 per week.

Daring Fireball's John Gruber has weighed in on the developments, reporting that he has heard that The Daily will be launched at a special media event next month hosted by Apple CEO Steve Jobs and News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch. Gruber notes that he is hearing rumors of a December 9th event, although it could be pushed back to the following week.
    Gruber goes on to note that Apple's key contribution to The Daily has been its building in of support for recurring subscription billing for apps via iTunes. The new API could open the door for other such products offering true recurring subscription-based content.

Meanwhile, French site Consomac reports [Google translation] that it has tracked down a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark application on an iOS-like icon for The Daily. The filing is registered to a company known as "News DP Holdings", which appears to be a shell corporation designed specifically to manage assets for the publication.

Article Link: 'The Daily' News Service for iPad Set for December Media Event Launch?
  2. macrumors demi-god

Jun 2, 2007
    The post is coming from inside the house!
    Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Here's the part I'm hoping is true:
  3. macrumors regular

May 14, 2010
    Cool, now that we have a rumored date, everyone will have something to complain about when it happens a week later.
  4. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    Cool, it'll be like that time Jobs got Bill Gates up on a video screen at an Apple event.
  5. macrumors member

Jul 6, 2009
    Isnt subscription based payment already available as In-App purchases?

I wonder how the new payment system differs from the current one.
  6. macrumors 6502

May 4, 2009
    Wow. Steve'll do anything for a dollar. Looking forward to the day he decides to auction off his Granny.
  7. macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2007
    Don't Expect Much

Based on the awful transformation that News Corporation has put the Wall Street Journal through, I'm not expecting much. IMHO, News Corp has effectively ruined the WSJ. It now looks like a cross between the NY Post, the NY Times, and FOX News and it goes straight from my driveway into the garbage can. I can't understand why Steve Jobs wants to get into bed with Murdoch.
  8. macrumors 6502

this is funah

Oct 13, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Well the good news is Steve obviously hasn't dropped acid in a long time.
  9. macrumors 6502

this is funah

Oct 13, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    news corp also owns tattoo magazine... should we expect a lot of tattoo content too?
  10. Mal
    macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    What are you smoking? What do either of those comments have to do with this story, or reality for that matter?

11. macrumors 6502a

Poll Smoker

Jul 20, 2007
    You're a little late to the party, aren't you?

He's already partnered with McDonalds and Nike -- why not Murdoch?
  12. macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2007
    Why all the negative votes? Newspapers, magazines all do this already. This is just an electronic (and more convenient I think) medium of delivery without having to buy a new issue every month. What's the downside here? :confused:
  13. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    There's nothing that allows a subscription where you just get charged every week. The only option now is to keep offering a new issue each week where you decide to buy it all over again.

So the current model = Buying magazines at the grocery store.
    The new idea = Paying upfront and getting magazines delivered to your mailbox.

I think it's great.
  14. macrumors 65816

Dec 4, 2008
    The back of beyond.
    Will be interesting to see how this pans out. If the quality of journalism and pricing were right it might just work.
  15. macrumors 65816

Jan 12, 2005
    How is arranging for a method to have periodical subscriptions "doing anything for a dollar"? To me, it's an obvious use for the iPad, would save paper, and couldn't happen soon enough.
  16. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
  17. macrumors 6502

this is funah

Oct 13, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    it probably will work... the top mobile device manufacturer teaming up with the top news outlet, creating something we all know is the future of news"papers" ... this will set the standard and establish the next era of the print news market.
  18. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Errr... if you don't like it why do you get it? It's not an inexpensive subscription.

Oh and about Steve Jobs getting into bed with Murdoch. Ask James Cameron. He certainly had no problem producing Avatar w/ Murdoch's 20th Century Fox. Or maybe Oliver Stone w/ Wall Street: Money Never Stops. I'd guess neither of these guys is a huge Fox News watcher. But they do love to look at their cash piling up.
  19. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well I don't like Murdoch and I think FOX News is [mostly] crap. There you have it.

But that doesn't mean Murdoch can't create a good platform for news on a tablet. It will depend on the content and if I can customize it to show me what I'm interested in.

I'm certain they get the technology and the layout done very well especially if Apple directly supports the concept.

And Murdoch certainly can make sure that there is enough good content across the board available that subscribers can pick from. Nobody can force me to watch Glen Beck if he is part of the news.
  20. macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    The poor guys at all of the newspaper print shops that are losing their jobs could be considered a downside. I realize that this transition can be considered progress, but don't kid yourself, people do get hurt along the way.

I know many people that have been in the printing industry for years who are shifting into entirely new careers outside of the trade.
  21. macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    love the idea but, given murdoch's track record, hope the content isn't stereotypically "fox"-y...
  22. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2008
    Haven't we seen this before? Sort of?

First it was supposed to be the new york times, then well - not so much.

Now this is a better idea, because it will be tablet platform exclusive, but not iPad exclusive for long. News Corp was something Apple wants, so they have the influence.

I hope that this does well. I knew there was a reason for all the macbook love on Fox News sets.
  23. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    You've got it backwards. People stopped buying newspapers and THEN the iPad came out.

The iPad did not cause this. Do you think if Apple stopped selling the iPad tomorrow people would go back to buying newsprint?

Fact is, the downward slide of the newsprint industry was about to put printers and writers out of work. Apps like this are step towards preserving the writers' jobs, at least.

So I don't see how "saving some jobs" can be considered a downside.
  24. macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Voice your opinion on Faux's News with your $'s, I'll be voicing mine by not buying this.;)
  25. macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Oct 3, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Again with this? Really, people, if you can't see how this move could represent a major step forward for the entire publishing industry, then you really need to reexamine your ability to think beyond partisan definitions.

As I said in another thread on this topic, the issue here isn't News Corps. The issue is the development of a strong content distribution model between Apple and the periodical industry. In case no one has noticed, newspapers and magazines are on the verge of a total collapse. If some kind of viable digital distribution model isn't developed soon, there will come a time when newspapers and magazines simply don't exist in either print OR digital format.

You don't have to like FOX News. You don't have to buy this application when it comes out. The point isn't that FOX and News Corps are angling to corrupt your mind. The point is that News Corps is willing to take a chance in a partnership with Apple that has the potential to save the ENTIRE periodical publishing industry, not just News Corps.

Let's not make the mistake of throwing out the baby with the bath water here.