Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

More than a year after a media event launching News Corp's tablet news app The Daily on the iPad, the publication has now expanded to the iPhone [App Store].
The Daily took the world by storm in 2011 as the first ever custom daily news app created and designed from scratch for the iPad. By popular demand, it's now available on the go for iPhones. Get the same amazing content as the iPad app, optimized for your phone.
the_daily_ipad_iphone.jpg

The app is free to download with a selection of free articles available to read. Full subscriptions are priced at $1.99 per month or $19.99 per year, essentially half the price of the iPad version, which costs $0.99 per week or $39.99 per year. Subscribers to the iPad edition can also access the iPhone edition for free.

Article Link: 'The Daily' Now Available on iPhone at Half-Price Subscription Rates

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Anyone able to find this? I read The Daily every day on my iPad, and my wife has been wishing for an iPhone/iPod version for a long time. I can't find it in Newsstand or the App Store.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I find it hard to believe it is exactly the same content if they feel the need to give it away half price. It must be a more limiting user experience perhaps. Or is this just a promo period thing?

I find it hard to believe it is exactly the same content if they feel the need to give it away half price. It must be a more limiting user experience perhaps. Or is this just a promo period thing?

I believe it's because the experience is less complete on a smaller screen even though it has the same content. It's like how games (angry birds, cut the rope, etc) cost significantly more for the "HD" version simply because it's on a bigger screen. It's not because it's that much harder to make.

----------

So I'm guessing buying the 1 yr subscription on the iPhone (at half price), wouldn't allow you to have the subscription on the iPad for free? Just the other way around? That'd be a sneaky loophole.

Would they at least allow you to purchase the iPad "upgrade" for simply the difference of $20 instead of paying the whole $40?

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
To anyone on the fence, I bought an iPad subscription shortly after the 3rd-gen launch and I've been very happy with it.

It is true that it's from Fox, and they do tend towards conservative in their editorials, etc. I'm personally a little more liberal than the voice of the publication seems to be, but I actually appreciate having a dissenting voice as input sometimes. If there were a comparable liberal-tilted publication, I'd probably subscribe to both; as it is, I just read The Daily with the bias in mind (same as I do any publication, really). They do occasionally feature obviously-liberal editorials as well, so there is at least a token effort towards balance.

Past the ideological voice, the content is extremely well-composed, particularly for a daily. It's very nearly comparable to something like Newsweek. I'm finding myself much better informed about current events since subscribing, just because it's so attractive and pleasant to read through.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
So I'm guessing buying the 1 yr subscription on the iPhone (at half price), wouldn't allow you to have the subscription on the iPad for free? Just the other way around? That'd be a sneaky loophole.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking about that. Also, fair enough about the price difference, but I very much prefer the content providers who provide universal access for one fee (games and other media).

To anyone on the fence, I bought an iPad subscription shortly after the 3rd-gen launch and I've been very happy with it.

It is true that it's from Fox, and they do tend towards conservative in their editorials, etc. I'm personally a little more liberal than the voice of the publication seems to be, but I actually appreciate having a dissenting voice as input sometimes. If there were a comparable liberal-tilted publication, I'd probably subscribe to both; as it is, I just read The Daily with the bias in mind (same as I do any publication, really). They do occasionally feature obviously-liberal editorials as well, so there is at least a token effort towards balance.

Past the ideological voice, the content is extremely well-composed, particularly for a daily. It's very nearly comparable to something like Newsweek. I'm finding myself much better informed about current events since subscribing, just because it's so attractive and pleasant to read through.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I've read through some of it when it had free offers for a few days, and I did subscribe for a week of content once. When you think about it, it's pretty cheap for what you get. I mean it's 14 cents an issue if you subscribe weekly and 11 cents an issue if you subscribe yearly.. and that's for the iPad version! iPhone version would be 7cents/5.5cents an issue.

Although I do wish you could download previous days issues... is that available yet? And then it would automatically mark which issues had been read.

ukwildcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009

Couldn't agree with this more.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Paying for what?

I downloaded the app, looked cool, then paid $1.99 for a month-to-month membership. Then found out they show ads in the paid version. I contacted support:

--- Original Message ---

I'm paying for the daily. Why do I see a banner ad at the bottom of the screen?

--- The Daily Reply ---

Thank you for your email.

Like most magazines and newspapers, ads exist even if you are a subscriber. We are sorry if they are an inconvenience to you, and if you come across one that you find inappropriate or that causes technical issues with the app, please let us know!

Best,
Support

--- My Reply ---

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have cancelled my monthly subscription. As practice, I don't pay for apps for which I also have to view ads.

I downloaded the app, looked cool, then paid $1.99 for a month-to-month membership. Then found out they show ads in the paid version. I contacted support:

--- Original Message ---

I'm paying for the daily. Why do I see a banner ad at the bottom of the screen?

--- The Daily Reply ---

Thank you for your email.

Like most magazines and newspapers, ads exist even if you are a subscriber. We are sorry if they are an inconvenience to you, and if you come across one that you find inappropriate or that causes technical issues with the app, please let us know!

Best,
Support

--- My Reply ---

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have cancelled my monthly subscription. As practice, I don't pay for apps for which I also have to view ads.

The app is free to download with a selection of free articles available to read. Full subscriptions are priced at $1.99 per month or $19.99 per year

that's what you pay for. ALL the articles. Are you gonna cancel your cable subscription because of the commercials? Have you ever bought a magazine? Ads. Newspaper? Ads. Let's face it, there are a lot of paid things with ads.. Hulu plus is another one. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's not unheard of in the slightest

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
I believe it's because the experience is less complete on a smaller screen even though it has the same content. It's like how games (angry birds, cut the rope, etc) cost significantly more for the "HD" version simply because it's on a bigger screen. It's not because it's that much harder to make.

----------

Would they at least allow you to purchase the iPad "upgrade" for simply the difference of $20 instead of paying the whole $40?

Has anyone tried? my year was up a few weeks ago and I've been paying weekly, but $20/yr would be very nice if it will work on iPad too.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
that's what you pay for. ALL the articles. Are you gonna cancel your cable subscription because of the commercials? Have you ever bought a magazine? Ads. Newspaper? Ads. Let's face it, there are a lot of paid things with ads.. Hulu plus is another one. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's not unheard of in the slightest

Am I gonna cancel my cable subscription? Actually yes. I have no cable TV, just internet. I didn't say it's unheard of, I said as a practice I do not pay for things for which I also have to endure ads. I have Netflix. No ads. I listen to audiobooks, no ads. I only pay for apps/media which have no ads.

Commercials were for free, broadcast TV, as the public got it for nothing. Then cable came around, kept the sponsorship revenue of commercials, then started charging. We effectively pay for things twice. I don't do that model.

I've had iPhone/iPad apps that I paid for, and they advertise inside for dev, etc. I've emailed them as well, and had to remove some. One in particular, won't mention a name, change the UI in a future update and it wasn't trying to push the dev's products.

If the Daily has good content, I would have paid $2.99 month for NO ADS. Until then, I'll stick with FREE RSS feeds. If something is FREE, I have no problem with ads. It's once I start paying for things, then have to pay for it a second time by viewing an ad. Give me a percentage of the profit for my time of viewing the ad, and I'll be fine. Don't keep that extra money for yourself, then jack the price on me ultimately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.