Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I am intrigued by The Daily due to Apple's involvement in the development and the subscription model at 99 cents a week works if someone wants to go "paper free" and no longer have a paper delivered.

What I am hoping they do with it is that it not only be a national newspaper, but also serve as a platform for other newspapers to deliver content to. For instance, I live in Detroit and subscribe to the Detroit Free Press, however they simply do not have an iPad app, and despite having an e-subscription, it is almost impossible to get it in a readable format on the iPad.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to make a standard container (e.g. like an RSS feed) that papers could use to deliver their content to The Daily and you could have all your newspapers in one place.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Content, content, content.

It's a good price and no doubt the interface will be good but I don't want to read a magazine which is flashy for the sake of being flashy and has little content. I want to read good journalism, see great photography, and I'm happy to pay for it.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
CONTENT and interactivity.

Content, is obvious IMO.

I'd like it to be interactive, embed videos with articles, maybe video of those who they quote. The ability to save an article for offline use. I'd love to see a deep interactive sports section. Read a game review, click on the image of the game per say, and the stats of that game pop up. etc.,

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'd like it to be interactive, embed videos with articles, maybe video of those who they quote.

To this point, I hate the web sources that just give a video and no written story. I want to SKIM the article, READ they key points, and maybe then look at a video if it interests me.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I would like to see international versions localized for all markets. I don't care about local US news. I am interested in international events and local German news. I guess the same could be said by anyone not living in the US.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Just an FYI they are streaming the announcement on http://www.thedaily.com coming up within the hour.

I will be interested to see what it offers. I think that it has to offer more in-depth analysis than what is out there currently. I think the people saying the "free news" would have to go away are missing the point - there is a difference between something like CNN and AP which essentially report facts and very superficial analysis, versus something like the WSJ or what I think The Daily will be going for in that you will still get your facts, but the coverage will be much more in depth.

Who knows, we'll see.

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
I wouldn't partake of any entity that involves itself with dumbing-down our news information sources and perpetuating divisive political dialog. This organization, namely Newscorp is evil, short-sighted, stupid and worthless.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Did anyone notice? The Daily crashed during the 360 view demo... I laughed so hard. Seriously. The guy who was demoing just started at it dumbfounded. So funny! :D

May 8, 2008
It'll need journalistic integrity and actual news.

Two concepts Murdoch seems unable to grasp.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
It launches today. I am not sure if there is going to be free trial, but I am going to try it for a week. If I like it, I keep it. If not, then bye bye because I already like WSJ, NY post and USA today enough already.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Absolutely, I would never knowingly pay money to any organisation that profits mr Murdoch

I'm assuming you've never bought a book published by HarperCollins or seen any film distributed by 20th Century Fox or any of its subsidiaries?

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
It launches today. I am not sure if there is going to be free trial, but I am going to try it for a week. If I like it, I keep it. If not, then bye bye because I already like WSJ, NY post and USA today enough already.
They said the first two weeks will be free, courtesy of Verizon.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I also like the 360 view. I'm hoping, though not expecting that we're able to get NEWS. And when I say NEWS, I don't mean Twitter, Hollywood, fluff stories. I want news. Egypt, the flood in Aus., when a plane goes down, financial stories etc.

But it is cheap so certainly worth a shot. And maybe this gets other papers to do the same.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
People like surfing the web with a browser to read news, sports , etc, at web sites of personal choice.

That's free.

To have to run a separate app and pay is a non starter for most.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Hilarious how people can't separate their hate for Murdoch from the product and have to bring it down to the level of laughing because the app crashed once - as if Jobs has never had a "Turn off your WiFi!" moment.

I think it looks pretty compelling and I'll definitely be giving it a chance. Some of the things they showed were pretty awesome, especially the Twitter integration where you can bring up the Twitter feed of athletes or celebrities you are reading about in a story.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Hilarious how people can't separate their hate for Murdoch from the product and have to bring it down to the level of laughing because the app crashed once - as if Jobs has never had a "Turn off your WiFi!" moment.
What? I'm not a hater. I just liked the expression of the guy's face when it crashed. That's what made me laugh.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I also like the 360 view. I'm hoping, though not expecting that we're able to get NEWS. And when I say NEWS, I don't mean Twitter, Hollywood, fluff stories. I want news. Egypt, the flood in Aus., when a plane goes down, financial stories etc.

But it is cheap so certainly worth a shot. And maybe this gets other papers to do the same.

Yeah, I can see where something like The Daily could eventually be free - or forced to be free if other publications adopt their format. Murdoch said the up front development was $30M, which has been written off and weekly expenses, before selling a single ad or subscription are $500K a week - which is nothing in that world.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
I am intrigued by The Daily due to Apple's involvement in the development and the subscription model at 99 cents a week works if someone wants to go "paper free" and no longer have a paper delivered.

What I am hoping they do with it is that it not only be a national newspaper, but also serve as a platform for other newspapers to deliver content to. For instance, I live in Detroit and subscribe to the Detroit Free Press, however they simply do not have an iPad app, and despite having an e-subscription, it is almost impossible to get it in a readable format on the iPad.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for them to make a standard container (e.g. like an RSS feed) that papers could use to deliver their content to The Daily and you could have all your newspapers in one place.

Content and it has to be FREE for my interest. Why pay for something I can get from the CNN app for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.