The Danger of Newspapers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Motley, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Motley macrumors 6502

Depressing story here. The brief being that a parent wants the school to remove newspapers because children could read about bad things like the Foley scandal. The upside seems to be that most people are of the belief that the complaining parent is nuts.

Choice Quote:
    :rolleyes:

2. tvguru macrumors 6502

Yes, because school children just can't wait to read the newspaper. :rolleyes:

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

a loaded gun?!?! what? Some mothers need jobs I suspect:rolleyes:

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh no! Those children are learning about the real world! We can't let them escape their protective bubble!

Tip: If you want to keep your kid in a bubble, don't let them leave the house.

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Um, if you click on the link it leads you to the local TV stations website.

Check out the tall guy standing in the middle.

Certain episode of Friends with Ross and a dental product...

6. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

She must be nuts.

If I would have children I would be more than happy if they touched/read a decent newspaper.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wow, first they ban tag, then take away newspapers. I wonder what else is next on the "take away" list?

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

My kids get a copy of US News and World Report every week. If a parent asked me not to give the kid a copy, I guess I would comply. But I'd also say someething like "You do realize that my job is to teach your kid how to read the text and the world, right?"

This is just one more example of the fundamental impossibility of public education as it's currently implemented here in the US.

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Which could explain the growing increase in private schools.

God forbid a child should read about the world. Oh no, we must not let that happen. We must coddle them, spoil them, and we can't ground 'em... I wonder what America's going to be like in another 20 years.

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Either that or my own vague, Saturday night bitterness. :p

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I know, how ridiculous! :eek: :rolleyes:

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The "no tag" rule is ten years old though.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, they will get depressed because the comics are already gone.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I fully support this woman's right to protect her child from the dangers posed by political stories and bra ads. We need to turn our children's attention to something safe...like the internet... ;)

Seriously...can you picture this uptight woman at home? "I can't **** tonight honey, I had my hair done today." :D

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Things were so much better in the 1950s when none of these things happened. :D Filmed bed scenes required one foot on the floor, no advertisements for bras or other feminine products, and no corruption in the government shown on t.v.

It's impressive that people still want to avoid the truth and of course, there are more children being removed from public schools every day to prove it. I continue to hear of more students being home schooled by parents who barely have an education of their own.

Children should be aided by an adult to understand many things--that's why all children come with at least one parent. Of course, how do you educate the parents?

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

My laughter is slowly dissipating. Yes, I bet she has one of those beehives, or bouffant jobs.

"You can fence yourself in, but you cannot fence the world out" - J.R.R. Tolkien from "The Fellowship Of The Ring"

What saddens me most is the spineless sheep-dip at the school who caved to this nonsense. I would have told these parents where the nearest private school was.

17. Roric macrumors regular

A few comments here....

First, my sister lives in Eagan, I need to ask her if that is where my nephews went to school..

Second, it is things like this that made me decide to homeschool my children. My wife and I are both college graduates, as are most of the other homeschool parents in our area. Yes there are those who are a cheeseburger shy of a happy meal, but they are the minority.

Lastly, my 9 year old daughter reads the paper every day. She starts at the comics, moves on to local news and if she doesn't get bored by then, she moves on to national. Last night, she heard a name mentioned and turned to me and asked if that was the person running for election to a local office. I was surprised she recognized the name and started asking her questions. She knew what offices were up for election and most of the candidates' names. I am willing to bet most adults could not name the current office holders, much less the challengers too. And this is not just the big ones, I am talking state assembly (we have 99 reps), state senate (we have 33), county coroner, etc.

In short, newspaper reading is educational and the parent who complained needs to get a life and the principal is a spineless idiot too.

18. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

With the US education system in the state it is - I am betting that they can't read ;) - anyway the newspapers are not something the kids would read as it is probably the internet or cell phones they get their news on...

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

First, I would probably complain about USN&WR. But, that has more to do with my belief that it is a rag that isn't worth the paper it's printed on and that the money on the subscription should go towards something better. Like The Economist.:D

Second, I do wish for the day when feminine product ads could be restricted to Lifetime and Oxygen. Nothing worse than watching the game, eating nachos and pizza and suddenly hearing "Suffering from a yeast infection?"We can keep the bra ads...let's not get carried away ;)

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Especially when you're eating yeast-driven bread? :D

21. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

ZOMG! ITS TEH DEADLY NEWSPAPER! EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR F***ING LIVES! :eek:

:D This womans raw stupidity amazes me.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Nothing like life, liberty and the pursuit of censorship to start off the day.

23. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Maybe we need something to change newspapers so kids can read them again? A job for the Ministry of Truth perhaps?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Maybe if they had news stories in them?

25. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Vegimite?