The dark side is taking over me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsnuff1, May 10, 2005.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2003
    ...what do i do?!?!?? Im one of those that has been waiting for the REAL revB PM update for the past year and a half or so...and all this waiting has got me looking into things I should never be looking into.

So what has been pulling me to the dark side? Custom built PC's...can you really blame me? I just configured an AMD3400+ system with 400mhz FSB 1GB DDR400 ram PCI-E with Radeon X800XT 256Mb RAM for a whooping 900 bucks.

This system is as good if not better than the top of the line G5 with a third of the price. Please someone enlighten me...or do I just let the dark side get a hold of me just this once untill the real G5's come out?
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Is it as quiet as the G5 and does it run OSX Tiger?
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004

OS X is the best thing about using a Mac...the powermacs are good where they are for now, but by years end i hope they will have been much improved
  4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Have fun with XP. Hopefully you don't lose everything to a virus ...
  5. AnewMac macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2004
    The Northern Plains of OK!
    Your rig sounds like you want to do some gaming? If so go windows, just dont connect to the internet or the thing will be inflicted with a massive amount of viruses.
  6. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Buy an iBook to get some work done. Use the Athlon for games. Simple.
  7. jsnuff1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2003
    Yea thats exactly what I want it for. I know the OS is what makes mac a mac, but I just cant wait any longer and I need some seriouse gaming power right now (WoW PvP action is calling my name :D )

hmm ive always been a powermac user but thats a good idea...i guess a low end powerbook and a custom built athlon will go for about the same price as a high end PM...and i get the best of both worlds
  8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Hurry up and do it before the people around here get to you... you're not going to find a gaming rig for that cheap in Mac world.

9. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    $900 to play games? Why not buy a gaming system?
  10. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    i've finally come to the conclusion after years of saying that mac's are adequate for gaming (if you only play Warcraft games =P) that they are in fact garbage for gaming. sure they run the games, but not adequately and with all the features turned off. it's sad that i can buy a machine for 1/3 of the price that will run circles around a power mac, but i am in the same boat as you, ready to give up on a power mac gaming/design machine for just a PC gaming machine and using my old 933 G4 until it no longer runs (which it seems close to).

no im not a newbie, nor a troll, macs blow for games, it's that simple.

i used to be one of the deluded few who claimed they weren't but the cold truth has finally hit me, if i wanna play games, i cannot use a mac.
  11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    because the games that we want to play aren't on gaming systems. if you're not a gamer, you will never understand so your arguments will likely be moot.
  12. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Feb 13, 2005
    Fear should not be the Path to the Mac-Side

Please stop with the arguments from fear--

"just dont connect to the internet or the thing will be inflicted with a massive amount of viruses"

"Have fun with XP. Hopefully you don't lose everything to a virus ..."

Many people are dual-platform and arguments based on fear are among the weakest arguments for the Mac platform. FYI, XP is a very stable operating system--I prefer it in classic mode (ala Win 9X)--and I have yet to get a virus from the internet when running a good AntiVirus program. And BTW, AVG puts out an excellent free edition for personal use and it uses almost no system resources.

Sorry, but while I prefer Mac laptops in general--though the current models both need a SERIOUS update (i.e. new chip architecture, DDR support, etc.)--the PowerMacs are seriously lagging and no Mac is very good at games, even though they might run some. However, I do expect a dramatic change at the Paris Expo for the PMacs (hopefully).
  13. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Some of the best gaming experiences are multiplayer online games...
  14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    "The dark side is taking over me"

Seems you are already using a Microsoft grammar check...
  15. arribadia macrumors member

Apr 5, 2005
    Considering you have spent $3000 on a OS that automatically install dashboard widgets for you... Glad that you are happy with it :D

XP is the only OS that runs on a x86.. NOT.

The parent might well be using Gnome or KDE. Nice troll otherwise.
  16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I guess that depends on the games you want to play. All I play is war3 and WoW and my SP 1.8 G5 with radeon 9600 runs both extremely well... I guess if you want FPS in some quake-esque game then yeah, you need a PC...
  17. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
    Besides that, the G5 is still noticeably faster than the system you configured.
  18. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    I agree. Online gaming is so far removed from console gaming that its not funny. Currently my Xbox fulfils the remnents of my gaming addiction that this G4 Sawtooth can no longer cater for. I really, really miss Q3 CTF, Q3fortress, Ghost Recon and all those UT mods, but I had to admit defeat then system requirements meant I had to endure 'flip-book' framerates.
    One day Keyboard and mouse fragging will day. :(
  19. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    how did you get such a sweet deal on that computer. i need a new GAMING computer but i am getting an iMac first so i need the cheapest price as possible . Where did you get that deal????
  20. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Better setup, although probably not a better deal financially:
    Get an iBook/PBook as you see fit if you have an urge to purchase something Mac, but if you have a Mac currently for your productivity usage, check out the little Fragboxes that some companies sell, or as always, build your own to save some money.

I saw a sweet little rig at a friends house, Radeon X800XT, some high end AthXP, etc etc, 2Gb of 400mhz dual channel ram, all in a tiny little box. One optical drive, one HDD (250Gb SATA). The ONLY use for him was gaming, and it was awesome because he can just carry this (with a handle on the top to boot) anywhere and lan-game or whatever, pretty sweet setup. Keeping it small so it doesn't exude pc all over the place :cool:
  21. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Noticeably faster? At what? and depending on the games he wants to play, the support just may not be there.

I would love a PM G5, but more than likely I will always keep some form of a pc sitting around for those times I want to game with all of my 'other' friends.
  22. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    I have to agree, PCs are too fast for Apple to catch up with.

But I don't buy a PC because I like the Mac Experience. Windows XP gives me the heeby geebies.
  23. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    I wasn't trying to say that Mac cannot 'catch up' to a PC for games, but currently I don't see it. They are making leaps and bounds, but its not quite a photo-finish yet.
    A buddy of mine said he gets 3 times the framerate of Doom 3 on his PM G5 since switching to Tiger, and he said that there is more OpenGL support which makes the cards better too. I cannot speak to the validity of this, but if it is even remotely true, its getting closer to the point where Mac and PC will be an actual choice for gaming systems. Now its nearly hands down, sad as that is.
  24. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    Who connects computers direct to the internet these days anyway? Well I'm assuming there are a lot that do but I'm sure people reading this forum would have some form of router so just hooking up an XP machine is not going to get you any viruses or what not.

With Apple I find you just can't compare machine specs to Wintel boxes, first for most computing needs what difference is there between a 3Ghz Wintel machine and a 2Ghz one anyway? I certainly haven't noticed much of a difference if any between my recent upgrades. However when it comes to PC gaming, which is it's own little world then it is a different story although it is arguable how much difference those extra clock cycles make compared to a better video card.

My Powerbook just works and does just about everything I need it to but it isn't designed to run games and probably more importantly games are not designed to run on it, so if you want a gaming rig then I don't think an Apple will ever meet your needs, just build a custom PC, get an LCD display like one of those Dell's and then get a tricked up Mac Mini or a lower grade Powermac to get your OSX fix.

Personally I gave up the PC Gaming Rig race a long time ago, once you get in a serious relationship you just don't have funds to play that game and you enter the world of consoles, which is where the only true plug and play exists.

I think a good comparison for gaming would be that consoles are more akin to the Apple experience for gaming, they work beautifully but don't cater to everyone's needs and aren't for everyone. (well that sounded better in my head so I don't think I expressed that very well...).

But when it comes down to it if you want to do gaming get a PC, full stop end of story.
  25. Barham macrumors regular

Feb 5, 2004
    I find it quite humorous that many people on this board will say, "Macs suck for gaming" or "Games are pointless, buy a PC if you want to game" or "Apple shouldn't waste it's time on gaming", when there are multiple threads daily about gaming or lack thereof on Mac OS X. I made my bed long ago (productivity and OS X is more valuable than game performance to me) but many people could be persuaded (and I wouldn't argue) if Apple really invested in better gaming code in the OS. It's not the hardware, guys, it's the OS that we all love that need work in the games department.

Oh, the widget thing is overblown. Get the widget manager for your system prefs.