the darkness is the coolest band right now, hands down...

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by jero, Dec 6, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

no one is even daring to do what they are doing. bringing rock back to its most flamboyant time. guitar solos, big hair and stadium rock anthems. its about time too, im getting sick of all this nu metal, rap/metal linkin park nonsense. lp got nothing on the darkness!:D

2. macrumors 604

scem0

ugh i hate them.

I certainly have no problem with guys singing with their upper range, being a soprano myself, but when it sounds like your in pain please cease to annoy the rest of the world.

Bleh... annoying-ass music :p.

scem0

3. macrumors 68030

cr2sh

two words: postal service.

they rock my socks.

its funny that you'd even mention LP in a discussion of cool bands.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

there are so few comtemporary bands im feeling right now. i only really like:

the darkness
    the yeah yeah yeahs
    primus
    the strokes
    radiohead
    the hives

jet is pretty cool but i havent heard the album. most rock is giving off this whole "mtv nu metal, pop/punk, good charlotte, rap/metal bs, linkin park, trl kiddie rock" vibe. and im not feelin it. give me a guitar solo and falsetto "freddie mercury" type vocals and im good for the night.

5. macrumors 68020

howard

the postal service does rock

that cd got me into all of death cab for cutie, who rocks a ton

6. macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

PowderFinger (and Australian band From Brisbane) has an excelent sound, but I can't go past Oasis, and the rock bands of old.

7. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The Darkness were on TV last night in the UK, one of those "play your first venue" type things, but with plenty of interviews.

I like the band a lot, especially the christmas single, they can really play, and they don't take it seriously, in fact they play it for the Spinal Tap groove all the time, and let the listener decide if they are joking or not.

Can't see them ever being particularly credible though... not that it matters.

RAWK ON!!!

(headbangs into an early grave)

8. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, I really like The Darkness - crank it up...and ROCK ON BABY!!!!!

Nothing serious, but sound great, IMO the whole album doesn't have a bad track on it, I can't count the numfer of times I've listened to it.

9. macrumors G3

can't stand them myself.... I was watching MTV2 the other day, and the boy wonder was saying how we're beginning to see all these post-ironic-poodle-rock bands re-appearing.... :rolleyes:

I f-in hate Queen too. :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

He's taking the piss mate, everything they say is right on message, they know exactly what image they are peddling, and they might love the music, but they really love making folks guess about their irony, post or otherwise.:D ;)

Incidentally, I think Queen suck too.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

i respect bands and artists that go against the grain. and what theyre doing is going far beyond what ANYONE is doing. hate all you want, but take a step back and see all these cookie cutter nu metal, rap metal bands and you see a band like this thats on a totally different vibe, thats balls right there. forget playing it safe, folks have to respect the fact that they do what they want and forget what appeals to trl kids. heres a good review:

The Darkness - Permission To Land
    Rock with balls.... no scrotum, just balls.

"Please God, I don't like Nu-metal or Garage rock. I like music with soul, with power, with showmanship and above all with humour. But I'm bored of all my Thin Lizzy and Motley Crue records. Please God, please send us a new band of the highest proportions. Amen"

Well here they are, a swaggering, solo-ing, spandex-clad, falsetto-vocaled, guitar-wanking, crowd-baiting, endlessly loveable foursome of music Gods sent from the heavens to answer our prayers. The Darkness are here to show the world that they are, as their website states, "Men what do rock, baby" and their debut album Permission To Land has, er, landed. If you're not familiar with the band live then upon first listen you will be in fits of laughter. This is the aural equivalent of a circus; a circus in space, with lots of monkeys, all wearing little hats and playing guitar. This is entertainment. And that's just what this album does: entertains from start to finish. The singles Growing On Me, Get Your Hands Off My Woman and I Believe In A Thing Called Love are all standouts, but there's a lot more to the album than that. Lots more anthemic, sing-along, air-guitar provoking RAWK numbers throughout with a fantastic November Rain style power-ballad, Love Is Only A Feeling stuck in the middle.

The songs are great, the style is great, the musicians are great, the production is great, the artwork is great, everything is just great!
    Well, not everything. You see, some people are going to listen to this album and ask "This has got to be a joke, right? No-one makes music as, well, obvious as this anymore.

"So is it a joke? Well, no-one knows. It's certainly not original. Justin's falsetto vocals are hilarious in some parts. And the guitar solos are outrageous. Especially in I Believe In A Thing Called Love when Justin actually shouts "Guitar!" before the first guitar solo kicks off.

If you want music to entertain and top make you feel like a God amongst men, look no further.
    If you want serious, heartfelt, sad music to remind you of all Man's troubles, then buy a Leonard Cohen album.

This choice is yours, but I know where I want to be...

"GUITAR!!"

12. macrumors G3

wasn't the guy from the band, it's the aussie dude that presents MTV2....

I'm liking the Fiery Furnaces at the mo.... kind of like a more inventive White Stripes. :)

13. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, they're pretty good, I've been backtracking Soundgarden's Superunknown all week, excellent..:D

How can you not love "Don't let the bells end"?;) :p

14. macrumors G3

it grinds mate... it grinds.... :eek:

Superunknown... ;)

I'm currently listening to Roberta Flack... *sighs* such a good singer....

15. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

F*ck yes it grinds, but it grinds good....:D

Roberta flack, Galaxy chocolate in a voice.

16. macrumors 6502

i am not a big fan of the darkness...

i like that poeple are going against the grain and all, but i think it could be done a little better than this (not that i could lol). my roommate summed it up best; the beat in their hit right now is very pedestrian. its not my taste, but its a relief from the same old stuff.

17. macrumors 65816

kettle

18. macrumors member

I hate to break it to you all, but NOTHING on MTV is pushing new boundaries, or is really all that interesting.

I didn't know about The Darkness until a couple days ago when my roommate was watching MTV and I saw the video. Revival rock? Please. Can we move forward instead of continually trying to revive what's already been done?

The bands that are truly doing something are the bands that AREN'T trying to appeal to pop radio. Pop music is struggling to find an identity; to find the next Beatles, the next Nirvana. Instead of trying to break the "next big thing" by marketing certain select bands to us, if MTV really wanted to make a difference they would air a wider variety and try to tap into the underground.

You know who's pushing boundaries? Kid606. Hella. Lightning Bolt. Drums & Tuba. Cheer-Accident.

Yeah, The Darkness isn't that BAD, but when there's nothing new under the sun, it's hard to appreciate a band who isn't trying to find it.

19. macrumors 65816

kettle

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

You really have to look for the talent because if "they" don't want to sell their souls, you won't get to hear them in the "music industry"

20. macrumors G3

I agree, it's the same with these so called 'Punk, Hardcore' bands... they need to get out there and do something different as well.... man, they bore the pants off me!

21. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

A band that's really made an impact on me lately is Dredg. Think of Tool, but with happier lyrics.

The lead singer is awesome and the guitar hooks are tight. The site is kinda artsy-fartsy, but you can download some clips (no iTMS yet).

http://www.dredg.com/

22. thread starter macrumors regular

23. macrumors member

The Darkness are playing at the Big Day Out.

I'll go check them out after I watch The Sleepy Jackson.

24. macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

theres nothing original or inventive about "the darkness"... dont get me wrong i have a few guilty pleasures by them in my ipod, its fun to listen to, but its just rehashed rehashed rehashed... truth is most everything has been done... even radiohead who are creative genius are comparatively todays pink floyd... please dont flame me, but the darkness are nothing to get all excited about...

25. thread starter macrumors regular

DAMN! who said anything about being inventive?! or original?! you would have to be a total moron to not see what they are doing. they are bringing back fun rock music from the 80's . thats...it. i love radiohead(and no they dont come close to pink floyd, no radiohead album touched dsotm) but whats with all this been done before talk. thats the beauty of it. not that theyre doing something thats been done before(cause tons of artists in all genres have done that) but that they are touching a form of music despised and such a 360 to the s___ rock of today that it has to be mentioned and recognized. cause everything post nirvana, bands it seems took a s___ load of downers and everyone was all depressed and serious and complex. like rock got all cynical. bull____! why does it have to be like that?! all inventive and original and depressing all the time? why cant rock have some fun?rock has been depressed for a looooong time, and its done so much for me and so many people it deserves to have a little fun. and no one is doing that better that the darkness. it takes more balls to go against the grain than simply follow it with crap nu metal. but i guess to really understand and appreciate the darkness you have to either a)lived through the 80's or b)really musically knowledgeable and c)have a sense of humor. cause obviously they do. they know what theyre doing, they know what they do pisses people off haha. thats the genius of it, people think they are 100% serious. if you do then the jokes on you jack.

yeah yeah, theyre rehashed. but i see everyday that theyre getting more and more radioplay and see theyre cds selling in the stores. so im not trippin.

im not trying to single you out btw, im just using you cause you were the last to respond.

www.thedarknessrock.com