The Dashboard Ripple Effect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ukmaestro, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ukmaestro macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    Huddersfield, UK
    It's a very silly question but it has made me wonder for a while now,

I have an iBook G4, one of the models towards the end of the iBook line, and got it with Panther and then I purchased the Tiger upgrade once that came out. I noticed that when I started seeing machines that came with Tiger pre-loaded, their widgets would have the ripple effect once placed on the dashboard but mine never have! Is that just something to do with the graphics technology being older in my iBook G4?

Also, another stupid question that puzzled me. Apple's always came with those Vouchers in them for upgrades I think. Is that just like a ghetto form of updating from 10.4.x before the internet? or is it say for getting updated system disks with 10.4.x to 10.5?

I'm sure some knowledgable person will be able to put my mind to rest with these trivial questions!
  2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Yes the dashboard ripple thing is based on your graphics. And those voucher things, I have no idea...I think I might have used one once to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.6 or something way back, but never used them since.
  3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
    Yes, it's the graphics card (or lack thereof) of your iBook. Basically those effects are made by core graphics supported video cards, and the newer intergrated video cards. I think the earliest ones were the 5200 (NVIDIA), and 9200 (ATI) cards, though don't quote me on that. It's just eye candy, anyway.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    The vouchers are basically worthless and have no use. The last time Apple used them was to allow those of us who had purchased 10.0 retail to get our free upgrades to the usable 10.1.

Unless Apple are in the same situation again (having released a product that was barely usable) they won't use the proof of purchase tokens.
  5. ukmaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    Huddersfield, UK
  6. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    I always wondered why I got ripples on my MBP but not the ol' Mini G4. Apple should work out a contract with arn to compile a big bunch of helpful MR threads and sell it as a bible:p
  7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    I think Apple told people, while showcasing Tiger, that it would only work with certian supported graphics cards. Not sure which ones can display that Ripple Effect though. I know both of my ATI cards don't work with that effect [Radeon Pro 9000 128MB DDR, and my older Radeon 7000 32MB DDR]; even though they are both after market cards.
  8. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2006
    I have the 1st gen Macbook base model with no graphics card. I still can see the ripple effect. :apple:
  9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    I have a Mac Pro with an X1900XT graphics card and have never seen the ripple effect. Not a major problem just a bit puzzling really, does anyone know why this might be?
  10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't be ridiculous. Of course your MB has a graphics card, it's just that it is an integrated one - part of the intel chipset - and it has been made to support core graphics.

11. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA