Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I haven't been able to keep up on all the iPhone talk so I'm wondering what people think about the lack of handwriting recognition and Inkwell?

I'm sure Apple has done there research, heck just looking at the sales of Blackberry and Treo devices is probably enough research. But, with a multi-function device like the iPhone I would really like to also have the ability to jot down a quick note or shopping list or web address. Just small, quick tidbits of text that I'd probably rather not hunt and peck type in. Handwriting recognition would be nice but even just digital ink would be cool.

Is this the final death for Inkwell (the last thing kicking from the Newton)?

It looks as if pen-based input and handwriting recognition in computing devices is now only left to signature capture and some vertical apps (medical, architecture, field sales reps, UPS).

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
The main issue with handwriting on devices like that is that there is no physical response to writing your name or anything else. Everything has a specific feel when you write it but all that is lose when you start using things like Inkwell and other handwriting recognition software.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Well, I still catch myself using Graffiti characters (from Palm OS) when I write handwritten notes, and will miss being able to do so if Inkwell dies. It actually works quite well for me at the moment.

I hope there is a future version of the ANT (Apple Nano Tablet) aka iPhone, where pen enabled input is possible. Not just for writing, but also sketching.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Exactly. If the iPhone has the ability to allow drawing simple little sketches and jotting down notes it will really be a valuable device. I carry so many little scraps of paper around to remember stuff. Getting old...

DarrenSW

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
The Death of Inkwell?

It astonishes me that all that remains of the Newton OS is the Ink Preference Pane. Apple really thought about what a mobile OS should be, and the gesture-driven interface and beautiful UI of the Newt, rather than OS 2.x's handwriting recognition, was what made that device a joy to use.

I for one would love to see a small, slim, colour, USB 2.0, XScale powered Apple PDA running on OS X with Ink but using Newton gestures (such as the 'scribble out' and 'cross out'). No chance of anything with even a vague smell of Newton appearing as long as Steve J is at the helm, sadly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.