The Death of TechTV

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 29, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68040

tech4all

ahhh the memories

That's too bad. Ever since TechTV became G4TechTV it really went down. I used to have TechTV until Comcast pulled it from my line up :rolleyes: :mad: Did anyone here ever post at their old messageboards?

3. macrumors 6502a

I post in their new ones, and man, EVERYONE hates G4TechTV. I'm talking about people who normally don't talk about this stuff, like people on travel message boards and other places. Even Leo says it's on it's funeral martch.

4. macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I had been a fan of Tech TV for the past 5 years, and the last 8 months has been hell. First with the loss of Leo, then rehiring Leo to just do Call For Help.

Then the loss of Patrick with the move to LA.

And now losing Alex, Yoshi, Dan, and all of Unscrewed.

I gave the "New" Screen Savers a shot last night...they blew it.

I'm done with them and that channel, and it feels even more right to say that after reading that link...thank you.

Farewell Tech TV, you will be missed!

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I liked TechTV very much, and I'll miss it. Personally, I'd much rather that G4 and TechTV remained separate, and G4 was added to the list of channels I get from my cable company. That way, I'd have the best of both worlds.

6. macrumors regular

I enjoyed TechTv when I first got it back this past spring (late to the game, but hey, I still made it). The Screen Savers was my favorite show of the bunch because it was cool and helpful. Then came the merger. It sucked, but I could still watch TSS and learn something every once in a great while (not nearly as often as geek talk was replaced with talking about Halo, faking bad comedy and reports on drift racing and other misc. b.s. that had no place in the show). I'm sad to see Alex go, as annoying as he could be. And Dan, who admittedly could not talk without stuttering, but he had good chemistry with the other cast members. I can't believe they shitcanned Yoshi, though. He was at least providing some geek content to a somewhat Sonny and Cher-esque show. All the same, it was the last thing I enjoyed watching on the channel. Oh, and I just started getting into Unscrewed. Thanks Comcast! You suck!

7. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I love TechTV, but hate G4TechTV.... this is the final nail in the coffin :(

8. macrumors 6502a

fistful

So that's why TSS has been all re-runs. Now they fired Alex right when I started not minding his bad humor, Yoshi and Dan always gave me a laugh. :(

I don't have the same loyalty to techTV as most as I only started watching about a year before this merger. It's definitely not the same, I still watch TSS and occasionally x-play, either way unlike before I can now live without it.

at least we still have Call for Help with Leo in Canada even though it's not as good as it was in SF.

9. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't even watched G4TechTV in months. It was clear that Comcast bought TechTV for the audience, and it's just as clear that they've lost almost all of that audience by removing every single reason that audience tuned in. TechTV used to account for a great deal of my TV viewing - it's what I had on in the office when I was working at home. Now it's worthless.

I'm disgusted.

10. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Seriously I feel like I am about to cry. TechTV was all that I watched, the shows were very informative and entertaining, and I felt like I knew all the hosts personally. I really hate comcast and those that decided to kill TechTV, probably the worst idea ever.

P.S. I think that Pual Allen sold it becuase, as much as TechTV tried to be unbiased, they were starting to slam Windows, and starting to tout Linux and OS X, so Pual just sold it becuase of pressure from Gates, to G4, who they knew would kill it. Wait, on second thought, M$ isn't that smart, nevermind.

11. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Same here. I guess that, by not watching at all for the past months (save for a minute here or there to remind me why I wasn't watching it), I can remember it in its former glory. I know it's dead, but at least I have no real memories of its decline. In my head, it's still alive.

But man, it sucks that it's actually dead. What a loss. The shows often contained information which was either known or useless to me, but those occasional gems were worth waiting for, and the personalities and interactions were great fun.

12. macrumors 65816

13. macrumors 6502a

joeytheintern.com has some great coverage of this whole crap. He even has a great link to Leo commenting on the whole debacle.

14. macrumors 6502a

bpd115

it is seriously a sad situation. I mean how can the bigwig comcast types be so stupid? G4 was failing before the merger....what makes them think that taking TechTV and infecting it with the cancer that is G4 would = better ratings? I seriously miss Leo and Patrick....my father and I would sit and watch the ScreenSavers and actually learn about things every night....be it a download, networking ideas, etc. we would always take something away from the show.

Then G4 moves in, moves everyone from SF to LA and replaces Patrick with some guy on acid (who they fired as well) and replaces tech with games and the live calls go from linux to "How do I buy a Video Card" or "What games can my Girlfriend play?"

I Hope TechTV is resurrected somewhere else.

15. macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

This really sucks, my brother used to set his alarm clock to watch TSS, now we just laugh when the alarm clock goes off. Just when I thought the show couldn't get any worse, no live audience, kevin's been sidelined, no Yoshi, no "Foo", lame host. Combine that with Leo and Patrick who left months ago, and what do you have left? The sad crap I watched yesterday, I love the way the new host got excited because they were taking a live call..oooh how exciting. It's a shame, TSS was the only show I looked forward to watching everyday :mad: :(

16. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Add me to the list of people who are sincerely disappointed. I learned so much from leo and patrick when I was a computer newbie. I used to watch TSS every day just to get a glimpse of his iBook. Leo left, patrick left, and now G4Techtv is just what G4 was a year ago. I just don't understand why they have left the TechTV viewers out in the cold. We were loyal. Do you know who else was cool? Bret Larson. He always touted the mac platform, and showed me cool stuff about macs.

I will continue to watch some shows on G4TechTV, like Pulse and G4.com.

My best wishes go out to everyone who was fired from TechTV.

R.I.P TechTV

17. macrumors 6502a

Bret was sweet, I remeber the day he brough the new 1st gen iPod on TV on some show (Call for Help or TechLive, don't remember....) Ah, the memories.... :cries: