The Death of The American Car

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FFTT, Jun 17, 2006.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm sure everyone has heard about the GM buyout.
    Yesterday I heard that Ford was preparing to lay off 30,000 workers and then move production to Mexico.

We have the technical know how to build the finest cars on the planet, so
    why is it that we have failed to do so?

We COULD BE building the safest, most reliable and most fuel efficient
    vehicle fleet on the planet. What's wrong with these people???

Soon those who would only buy an American built car will be buying Hondas
    and Toyotas assembled here.

The corporate upper mismanagement of American manufacturing has now put the lives of so many in jeopardy.

To me, this is one of the strongest arguments in favor of affordable education for anyone demonstrating the desire to learn.

2. x86 macrumors regular

x86

We could be the best, but when you have to pay an entry level assembly line worker $20+ an hour you A)Cut corners on your product or B)Move the assembly plant to the southern states (to avoid the union) or C)to Mexico.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The only good vehicles manufactured by america anymore are trucks. The cars suck. Kind of puts a stick in the eye of all of those "Built Ford Tough" kinda guys.

4. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

We bought a Ford Freestyle that we really love. You see Chevy Aveos pretty much everywhere. Isn't Ford doing well in Europe with their Ka and so on, too? Maybe all is not lost...

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I bought a Chevy... but it was made in Mexico. :rolleyes:

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I've never owned an American vehicle...no reason to.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ford and Opel have both lost ground over the last decade or so in Europe although Chrysler, being German owned has gained a lot of ground. You'd be surprised at the number of jeeps and Chrysler minivans in Europe. Jaguar, Saab and Volvo are also signs that even when building cars in another country, the Americans just don't get it.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if i were to get a truck, it'd have to be a toyota. observe why.

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Damn, that was worth watch.

My father has had two Toyota Pickups in the past 16 years. He sold the first, bought a second one which was even older than the first one, and that was only killed after he was t-boned by someone in a Ford F 250 going 50 miles an our right into him.

I've heard that Nissan's trucks are really nice too.

Thanks for that clip!

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're welcome! i've become a Top Gear junkie. too bad the season dvd's aren't available in NTSC or region 1.

if you go to youtube and search for either "top gear" or "topgear", you'll be able to watch hundreds of clips. i can post URLs to a few of my favorites if anyone's interested.

11. Queso macrumors G4

The same thing happened over here in Britain. Shoddy manufacturing, crap management and a workforce that were too afraid of change led to our car companies either being bought by foreigners (Jaguar, Vauxhall, Rolls Royce) or going spectacularly bankrupt (Rover, MG). Now the only British owned vehicle manufacturer left is Triumph Motorcycles, and even that died and had to be brought back from the grave before they sorted it out. The UK still makes a lot of cars, it's just they're all foreign brands like Toyota, Peugeot, Ford or Honda.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Two things are to blame here, one is our USA Govt giving them every reason on the planet to move the manufactoring base, and two is sorry ass CEO's who vision is only the current qtrs profits then throw on all the shady crap the big three have done to its consumers through the years. Our latest addition was a Hyundais and its quality and value is way above the big three offerings in my view.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sadly, Toyota's towing capacity tops out at around 8,000 or 10,000 lbs IIRC. And I don't recall seeing a Toyota truck with a 5th wheel capability, or with the option of a diesel.

And that's coming from from a guy who owns, and enjoys, a Tacoma.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I used to sell Dodge trucks. Give me a 3500 dualie with the Cummins Turbo, please. :D

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, save your pillow talk for Rob! :p

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Ha!

Actually, dualie is a bit too big...maybe a 2500....:p

17. danny_w macrumors 601

As they say, different strokes for different folks. While I certainly wish that the American car companies could build better quality and reliability into their vehicles, there is more to a car than simply reoliability in my view. I have owned multiple German and Japanese cars, and am back to an American car. Perhaps my next car will be foreign, but probably not Japanese; the ones that I have owned and driven have been just too bland for my taste.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The U.S. auto industry became far too dependent on high-margin SUVs and trucks. Now that the craze for oversized vehicles is apparently coming to an end, all of the U.S. manufacturers are having problems making ends meet. They're way behind the curve on smaller cars and hybrids. So while issues such as pay, health care and retirement costs are important, the biggest failure of these companies is to plan for the future.

FWIW, the last two "American" cars I've owed were built in Canada. Now I own a German car built in Britain with a Brazilian engine. That'll tell you a lot about what's happened to the auto industry, worldwide.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Always has been.

My last two Hondas were built in Canada.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

toyota does offer diesel engines, just not in the US, apparently.

21. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

that is insane! Great video.... just goes to show ya that a yota will run FOREVER!;)

used to have one when when i did contract work for cable & telephone companies... all i had to do was change the oil regularly and she would run like a champ... i think i put 150k miles on her and then sold her for a land rover...

last year i sold the rover and bought a honda ridgeline, billet silver... love it even more.... although i dont think it could handle everything that poor yota was put through! :D

22. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

My '99 tacoma 4X4 has over 166K and still runs wonderful.

I've been running Mobile 1 since the first oil change which seems to have
    paid for itself.

So far the only thing it's needed were a timing belt, alternator and brakes.

I couldn't be happier overall.

At work, my GMC Sierra is buring oil badly at less than 60K.

That''s just pitiful.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That works out to about 24,000 miles a year. Yikes. :eek:

24. iGav macrumors G3

I'm sure we've been here before on MR ;) and as I said at the time, and I still maintain... that a large portion of the blame cannot solely be laid at the feet of U.S. car companies, and that the american public is at least as responsible for the decline.

Companies such as GM and Ford (and their respective subsideries) make cars that are everything you outlined... reliable, safe, economic etc etc, which compare favourably with Japanese cars, and often exceed them in many area's (design, dynamics) and they market these cars today, but you have to ask yourself... why don't the majority of americans want a well screwed together, reliable, dynamic Ford that can achieve 58MPG???

What I find kind of interesting though... is the amount of sh*t that gets thrown at Ford and GM etc etc for their deficiencies, yet the same isn't heaped upon the likes of Honda? a company that steadfastly refused to build a diesel engine, until it became obvious that they'd eventually end up being marginalised in the European market the same too regarding their perplexing decision to revert back to a twist beam layout in the name of costs (or bean counting as Don't Hurt Me, would call it) at the expense of what little dynamics their cars have, whilst still preaching the innovative technology angle? :confused: :rolleyes:

GM, Ford, Honda... I don't think they're all that different to be honest.

25. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's all about trust in quality and workmanship.
    Consumer confidence.

The American manufacturers should have been willing to back up their products with bumper to bumper 100K plus warranties at no extra charge.

Most of the imports couldn't even offer a warranty that strong.

This is especially important now where vehicles have become so complex, that
    it takes an automotive engineer to repair them.