The Death Star's Trash Compactor.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sb58, May 31, 2006.

1. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006

i think someone has too much free time of their hands...
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Heh, i wrote that!:eek: ;)

But what in Gods name does this have to do with Games?:confused:
  3. sb58 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    d'oh! oh well, a mod can move it to the write place if they want...
  4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Some people should be abolished from the planet.
  5. fanbrain macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2005
    So. UT
    It's just a movie prop. Calm down and breathe. Why don't you write about the improbability of pretty much everything else in Star Wars?
  6. sb58 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
  7. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    There's a great essay in one of Chuck Klsterman's books about saved by the bell. In it, he talks about how a friend of his was watching it an exclaimed how kids would never have that kind of relationship with their principal. Klosterman's reactino was, of all the implausible, impossible things in that show, that's what you cling to as being unrealistic.

I think the same applies to this. Almost nothing in star wars actually makes sense. And it doesn't matter one single bit. Why bring up this one thing.
  8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    This is why Star Trek was such a better serious... and why the SW sequels fell flat. No science, logic, or cohesion to SW.

EDIT: Always did think the X-Wings were a cool looking fighter, though.
  9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Who's going to write about every little implausible detail of Star Wars? Are you saying that in order to make a satirical entry about a certain aspect of Star Wars, one must address the film series in its entirety?

I appreciate that someone put the effort into writing a comical essay about the implausibility of the Death Star Trash Compactor.
  10. blablabla macrumors newbie

May 17, 2006
    startrek vs starwars

YOU think thats a wast of time look at this this
  11. Boggle macrumors 6502

I'll just bet that somebody @ Berkley has a Ph. D, thesis on this subject.
  12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    Man oh man. I'm just a little scared. The first page was mind numbing, I can't believe it goes on for 60 or 70 pages. Sure I like Star Wars, and I like Trek. Even Babylon 5 and Crusade. But they're all separate series, and each has their own set of rules. Trying to compare characters, explosions (??) and the superiority of "Eugenics" soldiers from each series....
  13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    Honestly I have heard this discussed on lots of Star Wars documentaries.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, and I think even Harrison Ford have all commented on the trash compactor...

this guy just elaborated.

if we nit pick everything about Star Wars, its going to fall apart like burning burlap.
  14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

There are a couple really funny scene in Galaxy Quest that address just this sort of thing. Just what is "Omega 13" anyway? And what's with those smashers in the service tunnels?
  15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Agreed. Star Wars is SCIENCE FICTION. ***Ducks*** Anyway, the rest of the original series would have been, well, pretty flat (pun intended) if the trash compactor had been built by a real engineer.

Come on, we don't sit around picking apart the James Bond gadgets. They're just cool gadgets, regardless of how implausable they actually are. And when someone writes a satirical piece that is clearly meant for humor, let's just let it be what it is... humor.
  16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    HAHAHA! Star Trek- science and logic?

I'm a big Star Trek and Star Wars fan, but I tell you, Star Trek has some of the worst pseudoscience I've ever seen. You hear a bunch of scientific terms but they almost never make any sense if you know what they're talking about.

Check out for comparisons by an engineer of the two.
    Read the Hate Mail section. You'll die laughing.

Also, Star Trek has FAR worse brain bugs than Star Wars.

Seriously, read this. You'll fall over laughing.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    wow....too much time on their hands is an understatement...

more like serious mental issues, to sit around and dwell on a trash compactor on a 30+ year old movie scene.....

**edit** actually I take that back, that is a pretty funny read....I like it now.
  18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd actually make the arguement that Star Wars is more realistic than Star Trek. Whereas Star Trek makes up non-sensical pseudoscience explanations using big words that actually don't make any sense, Star Wars just assumes that it simply works.

Now, think about how everything works for a second. In Star Trek, you need ENGINEERS to run the ship. This is opposite of how things work in real life- engineers design the ship, technicians keep it running and maintain it. Someone doesn't need to know how a processor works to be able to maintain a computer; but apparently in Star Trek, you need someone with a PhD in microchip design to be able to actually operate a computer. Further, it seems every single person on board the ship (including the Doctor) knows everything about everyone else's job.

Star Wars is more based on actual military. Just look at the weapons. The handheld phaser is probably the worst weapon ever conceived- it doesn't shoot straight but is a bit angled downwards and has no sights. Star Wars has actual rifles and militaristic weapons. In fact, Star Trek ground combat is a joke.

Anyone here seen the episode "The Seige of Ar-559"? 150 Federation troops have to hold off a couple hundred Jem Hadar troops that will be attacking their base. They knoew that the Jem Hadar will be coming through a canyon and through a choke point that only one man can squeeze through at a time. They set up mines through the canyon and get behind cover.

Half the Jem Hadar are wiped out by mines (creating loud noises, so everyone knows they are there). Then, the Jem Hadar scream as they approach, making sure EVERYONE knows they are coming. Then they run through the choke point through a clear open area while being shot at by Federation troops who are behind cover.

A number of people have commented that a small group of modern day marines could have completely wiped out the Jem Hadar assault by pointing a machine gun at the choke point and just shooting a lot. Yet, somehow, the Jem Hadar manage to make it through the choke point, run across a clearing, jump over the Federation troops' cover rocks and engage them in hand-to-hand combat.

Further, the Federation seems to have a complete lack of any military weapons outside of handguns. No rifles, bazookas, grenades, mortars, tanks, or anything equivilant to these. And when they get enemies like the Borg that can adapt to the way their phased weapons work and cancel them out? They try to modify the weapons every time they shoot, instead of doing the smart thing; Picard demonstrated in First Contact that the most effective weapon against the Borg is a 19th century tommy gun.

The Klingons are a joke- half the time they drop their disruptors and run with swords and knives into battle, and somehow they manage to wipe out all the Federation troops, and the Feddies are scared of them.

Seriously, the writers of Star Trek know nothing about a real military.
  19. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C

No SW is cooler! Logic is stupid:)
  20. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    what what WHAT?!? :D

Very funny read btw. I always wanted to hand in something along those lines for my Film Theroy class. See what the uptight prof. thinks of it.
  21. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
  22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think you forgot the biggest flaw in the ST combat world. The fact that they have people w/swords and magic powers* that can wreak havoc on hordes of heavily armed troops. Oh, wait...

Oh, and BTW, ST does have equivalents to rifles, grenades, heavy weapons, etc.,.

Of course it does make sense that SW has a more fleshed out military aspect sense the whole freakin' thing is centered around war.

*magic powers are very inconsistent and only work at very plot specific points w/in the story.

23. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Well, in all fairness, its friday, and if the person who wrote this is as painfully bored at work as I am right now I can totally see writing about this. In fact, I may start waxing poetic about... well I dont know yet, but... something.
  24. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Is everyone forgetting the biggest flaw of all, The lack of gravity, How are they able to walk in space, they should all be floating.
  25. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    That's nothing. A friend of mine showed me a post on the official Star Trek forums going through every season on TNG and comparing Dr. Crushers HAIR STYLE!!! Then they played a game where they showed a picture of her hair and you had to guess which season and which episode. amazing.

Another time we were trying to figure out the name of a ship the Will Riker made up to fool an enemy. We go onto the official Star Trek forums and post the question... this part amazes me even to this day... less than a minute later (i kid you not) there were 2 posts. The first one corrected the name of the ship (we had it wrong!) and which episode is was. I just about **** myself in disbelief.