The Definition of "a while" before they put a g5 in a notebook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by spaceballl, Apr 21, 2004.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Now this little piece i'm writing isn't intented to give any exact insights into when a G5 powerbook will be out, but rather, just some speculations.

So these Powerbooks are the supposed final generation of G4 powerbooks. By this deduction, the next powerbooks will be G5s. Assuming this, we know that Apple needs to keep a regular release schedule of hardware. They know this too. They also know that they are losing a lot of business to many people waiting to buy a G5 laptop. They want this thing out sooner than later.

Also, if you look at MacRumors' buying guide, the longest time Apple has ever gone without updating their Powerbooks is eight months. That happened only once. The rest were done in seven months or less. That points to a december release, plus or minus a month.

The only thing that would mess up all of these predictions is if Apple decided to re-use the G4 once more in the PBs, but I really don't see that happening.

Another thing to consider is this: The PPC970FX... everyone always talks about its power usage and stuff. Let's be honest. Do you really think that this is the chip that will be put into powerbooks? Absolutely not. Manufacturers release chip steppings quite periodically. The decrease excess circuitry, finish up rough edges, increase chip yields, and streamline manufacturing processes to get to the next stepping. A stepping isn't a huge increase as it is the same chip. However, polishing these rough edges does lead to heat production decrease and the ability to achieve higher clock speeds. I guarantee Apple is working with these chips, not with the ones that everyone is quoting heat/power consumption specs of. That's the minimum. At most, they could be working with prototypes of a nextgen 970 chip that has similar characteristics, but even lower heat output than the FX.

So consider these factors...
    Apple will not wait more than 7 months or so to update, 8 at most.
    There will likely be no more G4s in the PB
    The 970FX they're working with is a prototype and likely to be putting out far less heat / scaling higher than the ones we've read about

Just some thoughts.
    -Kevin

2. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

your reasoning is sound, and it will be great to see G5 laptops. I agree that a lot of work needs to be done to refine the current G5 chip, and hopefully IBM will bring out a new one custom made for Apple laptops, just as Intel has done.

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

As Ozi said, your reasoning is sound. To be fair, Apple has waited longer between product updates before (but they don't like to and we don't like them doing it).

Your arguments seem to support a MWSF05 announcement. We might not see actual models shipping until February or March, but they'd certainly like to use the publicity of Macworld to really make a big deal out of G5 Powerbooks.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If so, that's like 10 months before they hit OZ... Too long for me, think the G4PB17 beckons... :rolleyes:

5. brhmac macrumors regular

G5 PowerBook vs. G4 - both at 1.5 Ghz

[dumb question]Let's say Apple got the G5 PB line rolling with a 1.5 Ghz processor. What would the bus speed be, and how much faster would a 1.5 G5 be vs. a 1.5 G4?[/dumb question]

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Its been half to date so 750MHz vs 167MHz (but I am no engineer ;) ).

Also a Powerbook may not use the ram as the PM G5 does, in pairs because of a lack of space for 4 ram slots, or they may only allow 2 ram slots...

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

but is this it? Are the G5s Definitely coming?! Have apple said so or are people just guessing?

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's possible, but I'm not so sure it would be that early.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes, Steve has said "They're coming", he just hasn't said when (and I doubt he knows yet).

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Although it has been half to date...alot of heat is generated from fast bus speeds, so I can't imagine it being that high unless they come out with a radical cooling design...with that in mind, I would not mind if there was another G4 revision as long as it is fast...say 1.8+...as noted in other threads(I believe) a dual-processor G4 PB would be an interesting way to go next revision, although that obviously has heat considerations of its own...interesting point about the RAM...later

12. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

An MWSF05 introduction does seem the most likely scenario at this point. Still, it'll be a while before the G4 is phased out of the product line entirely, so buying a G4 isn't a sentence of immediate obsolescence.

Given the refresh, it looks like the only reason to wait to buy is if you're entirely happy with your current computer and dead-set on a G5 or nothing.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Well that's fantastic! :D Although I’ve only just bought my G4 PB which i thought would last a good year or 2. I don't think we'll see a G5 pb for quite a while. December at the earliest?

Will my current PB hold most of its price if i were to sell it on? oh i will miss her if i have to sell but a G5 powerbook. Who can resist?!

thanks

14. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Your reasoning is sound except for one thing...you forgot about that BBC interview the other day with the Apple rep. He said "some time" and pointed to the fact that the g4 took 2 years to make it from tower to portable. These PR people calculate public reaction for a living- I don't think he wouldn't have pointed to such a pessimistic reminder unless there was a reason. i am going to be a hopeless pessimist and say shipping by NAB 2005. I hope I'm wrong. :(