Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
There are different definitions around what a "processor" is. Especially IBM and Intel have been in disagreement quite often. So some people would say the for example a current (Jan. 2007) iMac has one processor, others would say it's two processors. You try to get them to agree.

They will all agree that it is two cores. When it is important, I would say it is one chip with two cores and avoid the word "processor" (for example, at some point Apple might build a one chip / four core MacPro instead of the current two chip / four core ones). (In Intel/AMD speak, the word "socket" is often used; I don't like it because again Apple could build a MacPro with two sockets, of which one is empty).

Well, since you didn't read the thread, I'll give you a short summary: We all seem to agree there are two actual processors inside all these dual core Macs. I'm not really understanding why "dual core" even exists - as two processors soldered together on a single board has existed long before the term "dual core" was coined, and it was always called "dual processor" - even back then.

The debate going on now is whether or not you can say "two processors" - which I think you should be able to, since there are two processors.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Are you like, ignoring everything in this thread? No matter if there are two processors on the same chip or on twenty chips, they're still two processors. Nothing is changing the fact that there are two processors. How can you possibly tell me you do not understand this?

Look I understand that point. The fact is one is called a dual core system and the other is not. That is all there is too it.

One use of the phrase is correct, the other is not.

It is like the dual and duel thing you corrected me on earlier. It would be like me saying "Why can't I use duel in this context? Everyone knows what I mean" and the answer is because I am wrong. The same applies here.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Look I understand that point. The fact is one is called a dual core system and the other is not.

But both are dual processor systems.

It is like the dual and duel thing you corrected me on earlier. It would be like me saying "Why can't I use duel in this context? Everyone knows what I mean" and the answer is because I am wrong. The same applies here.

No, it's completely different. "Duel" in that context is wrong. But saying two processors is not wrong, because there are two processors.

You basically are saying "you have to say it that way because." Well sorry, that doesn't prove anything. "Because that's the way it is" is not a reason.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Look I understand that point. The fact is one is called a dual core system and the other is not. That is all there is too it.

One use of the phrase is correct, the other is not.

but what is wrong with saying dual processors when there ARE two processors?

on the same chip or not, there are two processors, and if there are two processors, it should be able to be called dual processor

the analogy of the dual v duel just doesn't make any sense. dual and duel are completely different and duel doesn't make any sense in this case... however to call 2 processors dual processor is not fundamentally false.

to dpaanlka: see, i can be corrected too :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Yow.

OK - I scrolled past a bunch of stuff when my eyes glazed over.

For us in this business, a dual processor machine has 2 processor chips in independent sockets, no matter that those sockets are mounted on a single daughtercard (like the G4 duals) or separately, directly in their own sockets on the motherboard.

A dual core is two CPU units on a single silicon processor chip, which may or may not share some circuitry. But they are packaged into the same package with one set of pins.

A daughter card with 2 processor sockets mounted on it does not make it a dual-core.

All Dual-core machines are by definition dual-processor, but we use Dual-Processor to designate 2 CPUs in 2 different sockets. This is an identifying feature of the machine, such as differentiating between G5 towers of the same speed.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
Okay bad analogy.

Lets start from the beginning. One processor is a one processor system. Now add an entirely new processor to the system and you have a dual processor system. Now combine those two processors onto the same chip and you have a dual core system. I believe we are all agreed on this.

Now calling a dual core system the same as the dual processor system is not the same. As the dual core system shares the same system bus to access RAM and other important parts of the system. This slows it down as it has the same amount of throughput as the dual processor system yet half the available bandwidth. Now I guess you could call a dual core system a dual processor system but that would be implying a system without that limit in place and thus giving the wrong impression. The important thing to note in this dicussion is not the fact there there are two processors as this has already been agreed to be the case. The important thing to note is the differences between the two whether these differences mean that a new name should be used to differentiate between the two.

In this case the difference in available bandwidth to the two cores limits them and so they do not perform to the same level as two entirely separate processors. While this maybe a small difference in most real world applications the fact that they can not perform to the same level as two separate processors is what derives the need for a different name to distinguish the two.

Maybe that has helped clear up my position?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
For us in this business, a dual processor machine has 2 processor chips in independent sockets, no matter that those sockets are mounted on a single daughtercard (like the G4 duals) or separately, directly in their own sockets on the motherboard.

A dual core is two CPU units on a single silicon processor chip, which may or may not share some circuitry. But they are packaged into the same package with one set of pins.

Yes, but both examples have two cores, and both examples have two processors. You didn't prove or disprove anything.

A daughter card with 2 processor sockets mounted on it does not make it a dual-core.

Well... it has two processors, and it has two cores. So why not?

All Dual-core machines are by definition dual-processor

Yes!!! Exactly!

but we use Dual-Processor to designate 2 CPUs in 2 different sockets. This is an identifying feature of the machine, such as differentiating between G5 towers of the same speed.

But why? I'm aware of what the phrases "dual core" and "dual processor" are accepted today as meaning. I'm calling that acceptance (or non-acceptance) into question. If I say my Mac Pro has four processors - I am not wrong.

Lets start from the beginning. One processor is a one processor system. Now add an entirely new processor to the system and you have a dual processor system. Now combine those two processors onto the same chip and you have a dual core system. I believe we are all agreed on this.

No, we didn't. Are you suggesting that your first example doesn't have a single core, your second example doesn't have two cores, and your third example doesn't have two processors?

Now calling a dual core system the same as the dual processor system is not the same. As the dual core system shares the same system bus to access RAM and other important parts of the system. This slows it down as it has the same amount of throughput as the dual processor system yet half the available bandwidth.

That's the worst definition of dual core I've ever heard, as plenty of examples of that exact setup have already been given (dual G4s, dual 9500s, dual 9600s). Those were all called dual processor systems. Independent cache, buses, access to ram and the system are not part of the definition of a processor.

Now I guess you could call a dual core system a dual processor system but that would be implying a system without that limit in place and thus giving the wrong impression.

The wrong impression to people who have bought into the false idea that the definition of a processor includes all those things.

The important thing to note in this dicussion is not the fact there there are two processors as this has already been agreed to be the case. The important thing to note is the differences between the two whether these differences mean that a new name should be used to differentiate between the two.

Regardless of whether or not you give this combination a new name, somebody saying a Mac Pro has four processors is not wrong. They are not wrong. You can not say they are.

In this case the difference in available bandwidth to the two cores limits them and so they do not perform to the same level as two entirely separate processors. While this maybe a small difference in most real world applications the fact that they can not perform to the same level as two separate processors is what derives the need for a different name to distinguish the two.

I already addressed all this several times. "Naming" the combination of two processors in this manner is perfectly fine (although, it is by no means a new thing). The problem is the name is totally wrong. You do not nail two pieces of wood together at a right angle, call it "a right angle" and then insist they are no longer two pieces of wood, nor insist that two pieces of metal combined in a similar shape are "not a right angle."

Maybe that has helped clear up my position?

Yes. I am aware of what you think.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
how about we call quad/dual processor/core proper noun, and 4/2 processor/core common noun... and in the form of proper noun, they specifically mean what ppl think they mean, aka dual core means 2 core on same chip, dual processor means 2 chips... and so on

and in 4/2 processor/core, it's well, if there are 4 processors there are 4 processors, whatever configuration?

how about that... (i'm playing rainbow six, so i might not be very clear :eek:)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The reason they are called dual core systems is to make sure that people do not misunderstand and think that the system is one with two separate processors. I don't understand why it is taking so long to get this point.

They are different and need to be distinguished.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The reason they are called dual core systems is to make sure that people do not misunderstand and think that the system is one with two separate processors. I don't understand why it is taking so long to get this point.

They are different and need to be distinguished.
dual core AND dual processor configurations both have 2 separate processors.. i think you aren't understanding the point.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

Well I think that's stupid, because they both have two processors. How can you justify telling someone "your computer doesn't have two processors" when it does?

Are you going to go up to someone and tell them their MacBook Pro doesn't have two processors?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
dual core AND dual processor configurations both have 2 separate processors.. i think you aren't understanding the point.

Yes I understand that as I have stated a fair few times above. The point is that a dual processor system performs better than a dual core system because it does not share a system bus. Hence the need to differentiate between the two. If they both performed exactly the same and there was no real difference there would be no need for a different name but seeing as that is not the case.

As for the previous examples that dpaanlka keeps asserting (i.e the 9600) why does it matter? Lots of things are given new names when the need arises, I don't see how this is a different situation.

Ninja Edit :
Are you going to go up to someone and tell them their MacBook Pro doesn't have two processors?

No I am going to tell them they have a dual core system. Which as we have already stated means that they have two processors on the same chip.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The point is that a dual processor system performs better than a dual core system because it does not share a system bus. Hence the need to differentiate between the two.

Ninja Edit :

No I am going to tell them they have a dual core system. Which as we have already stated means that they have two processors on the same chip.

http://www.barefeats.com/dc20.html
conventional name dual core perform better than dual processor, get your facts right before speaking nonsense

is the following statement correct or not?
"Macbook Pro has two processors."

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
http://www.barefeats.com/dc20.html
conventional name dual core perform better than dual processor, get your facts right before speaking nonsense

Okay I can admit that. But even so that still proves the need to differentiate between the two systems. You still have not changed my mind on the fact that a dual core system is not the same as a dual processor system.

Edit : Yes it is a dual core system.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yes I understand that as I have stated a fair few times above. The point is that a dual processor system performs better than a dual core system because it does not share a system bus. Hence the need to differentiate between the two.

But thats stupid - the Dual Processor 9500s, 9600s, and G4s all shared a single bus. Those weren't called "dual core." Your reason for calling something "dual core" as opposed to "dual processor" doesn't make any sense. It's just Intel marketing.

As for the previous examples that dpaanlka keeps asserting (i.e the 9600) why does it matter? Lots of things are given new names when the need arises, I don't see how this is a different situation.

Like what. What technology that has been around for decades has ever changed it's name entirely for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Right, so they have two processors. If they ask "does my system have two processors" - you cannot respond with "no."

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
is that your response to my question? if so that doesn't even make sense... lets try again

yes or no please.

It makes perfect sense here is the definition that you seemed to have missed :
A dual-core CPU combines two independent processors and their respective caches and cache controllers onto a single silicon chip, or integrated circuit. IBM's POWER4 was the first microprocessor to incorporate 2-cores on a single die. Various dual-core CPUs are being developed by companies such as Motorola, Intel and AMD, and are scheduled to appear in consumer products in 2005.

So the answer would be yes it is a dual core system.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
It makes perfect sense here is the definition that you seemed to have missed :

So the answer would be yes it is a dual core system.

i need to stop before i start cursing you... try use logic and reason next time you argue

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
i need to stop before i start cursing you... try use logic and reason next time you argue

You still do not get it? It may have two processors but it is not a dual processor machine. It is a dual core machine. It really is not rocket science. The Mac Pro is a dual processor machine. I don't understand why people do not understand this incredibly simple point.

Late Edit : A few more points before I finish :
A dual-core processor is a CPU with two processors or "execution cores" in the same integrated circuit. Each processor has its own cache and controller, which enables it to function as efficiently as a single processor. However, because the two processors are linked together, they can perform operations up to twice as fast as a single processor can.

The Intel Core Duo, the AMD X2, and the dual-core PowerPC G5 are all examples of CPUs that use dual-core technologies. These CPUs each combine two processor cores on a single silicon chip. This is different than a "dual processor" configuration, in which two physically separate CPUs work together. However, some high-end machines, such as the PowerPC G5 Quad, use two separate dual-core processors together, providing up to four times the performance of a single processor.

While a dual-core system has twice the processing power of a single-processor machine, it does not always perform twice as fast. This is because the software running on the machine may not be able to take full advantage or both processors. Some operating systems and programs are optimized for multiprocessing, while others are not. Though programs that have been optimized for multiple processors will run especially fast on dual-core systems, most programs will see at least some benefit from multiple processors as well.
A multi-core processor is an integrated circuit (IC) to which two or more processors have been attached for enhanced performance, reduced power consumption, and more efficient simultaneous processing of multiple tasks (see parallel processing). A dual core set-up is somewhat comparable to having multiple, separate processors installed in the same computer, but because the two processors are actually plugged into the same socket, the connection between them is faster. Ideally, a dual core processor is nearly twice as powerful as a single core processor. In practice, performance gains are said to be about fifty percent: a dual core processor is likely to be about one-and-a-half times as powerful as a single core processor.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You still do not get it? It may have two processors but it is not a dual processor machine. It is a dual core machine. It really is not rocket science. The Mac Pro is a dual processor machine. I don't understand why people do not understand this incredibly simple point.

Because it's fundamentally stupid.

The Mac Pro has four processors. That is not a false statement.

And your bottom definition implies the 9500, 9600, and G4s were all "dual-core" not "dual processor" which you argued against leading me to believe even you don't know what you're talking about.

So perhaps instead of saying "quad processors" in the Mac Pro, it would be more correct saying "four processors" - I can at least give into that. But if I say I have four processors in their Mac Pro, I will not take a correction by some idiot trying to tell me I don't.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
PowerMac 9600 Specs :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112424

Note where it says second processor, see that it says optional PC compatibility card? It was a dual processor system not a dual core system.

Don't call me an idiot. I have shown you time and time again why you are wrong and yet you continue to claim that you are right in the face of evidence (just about every website out there) that claims different.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
PowerMac 9600 Specs :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112424

Note where it says second PC, see that it says optional, PC compatibility card? It was a dual processor system not a dual core system.

That's the wrong system entirely. Here are the correct specs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112402

Picture 5.png

Note where it says "Processor board contains two PowerPC 604e processors." It is a single bus, and single L2 cache, shared by both processors (each processor had it's own L1, just like todays "dual core" crap). The "PC Compatibility Card" is something else. It was an Intel processor on a PCI card (either a 486 or Pentium I) that allowed you to run Windows at native speeds.

So I guess that would make it a three processor system... or not because you could only use the one Intel processor, or the two 604s... you couldn't use all at the same time.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
There is no information on the IBM website stating that the 604e/ev ever ran two processors in the same chip. Apples website is vague at best stating that there were two processors on the logic board, but giving no definite information as to whether they ran on the same chip or not. Neither is there any evidence on Wikipedia. I would be highly surprised if IBM would not advertise that fact if it was indeed true. If you can show me that information I will bow out of this discussion. In the mean time you have shown me that the processors both occupied the same logic board. Screen shots are pretty hard to find of the 9600 motherboard with the CPU(s) exposed.

In fact the earliest processor I can find information about that had a dual core configuration was the IBM Power5.

Edit : That is not to say you are correct though. I still believe what I originally stated.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
There is no information on the IBM website stating that the 604e/ev ever ran two processors in the same chip. Apples website is vague at best stating that there were two processors on the logic board, but giving no definite information as to whether they ran on the same chip or not. Neither is there any evidence on Wikipedia. I would be highly surprised if IBM would not advertise that fact if it was indeed true. If you can show me that information I will bow out of this discussion. In the mean time you have shown me that the processors both occupied the same logic board. Screen shots are pretty hard to find of the 9600 motherboard with the CPU(s) exposed.

Both the processors in the 9600 are on a daughtercard, together, that plugs into the motherboard. The L2 cache is located on the motherboard, not the daughtercard. Both processors share the same bus and cache. I said that like ten times. I'm not getting this off Apple's web site, but from fact. I have several 9500s, 8600s, and had a few 9600s before. I know what I'm talking about, ask anybody that used one of these before.

And everything you're saying about a dual-core system "not having two processors" is just nonsense. You're telling us that if somebody with a "dual core" Mac says they have two processors, you would tell them that they do not. That's just dumb.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Not having read the thread, I would say that 1 CPU = any number of cores in a single die. This is because a CPU is a Central Processing UNIT. That means that the entire UNIT (ie, the chip) is the CPU, because the term 'unit' covers everything in/on a chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.