The Definitive Greatest Band Ever Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by wsteineker, Apr 24, 2003.

1. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

After much searching of the forums, I've come to the realization that, while we've occasionally discussed music and even particular songs here in the forums, we've never laid it all out when it comes to our absolutel favorite bands and solo artists. I want to know what bands get you guys going, what just excites you and wakes you up in the morning. What makes you feel like a million damn dollars and what you listen to when you're depressed. I want to know the whos, whats, whens, wheres, whys, and hows of it all. Here are the rules: List your top 5 bands/solo artists of all time in no particular order. In keeping with the Nick Hornby-esque theme of the thread, feel more than free to give reasons why. Let's get to talking about something that really tells us about each other. I'll start.

My Top Five:
    The Rolling Stones
    U2
    Bob Dylan
    The Band
    The Who

It's that simple, folks. Let's see what you've got. :)

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: The Definitive Greatest Band Ever Thread

Gee man, U2 might be considered great for their earlier stuff, but defintely not top 5 material....The Who is somewhat questionable as well and The Band has no reason in my opinion to even be listed in the Top 50, and Bob Dylan is not really a band....

Now that that is aside, here are my choices"
    1.The Beatles
    2.The Velvet Underground
    3.The Ramones
    4.Sonic Youth
    5.Radiohead

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

radiohead
    led zeppelin
    nine inch nails
    pink floyd
    aphex twin

...wow that was tough...i'm not so sure its 100% accurate

4. guitargeek macrumors regular

My top five:

1. Dream Theater - For me, they have it all. Heavy parts. Sad parts. Happy parts. Wacked out syncopation in 19/16. There is nothing better that I have found.

2. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia really brought me around, and they're now number two on the list. Great playing, OUTSTANDING production, and very hummable :)

3. Ben Folds Five - They used to be number two until Porcupine Tree came along. My girlfriend got me into them, and I discovered some amazingly creative pop music (something I had never heard before). Sadly, my favorite album by them was also their last....

4. King Crimson - They define "weird". Really. Some of their stuff is just completely ****ed up. Go download "Lark's tounge in ASPIC part IV" and you'll see what I mean. REALLY ****ed up. But, on the contrast, they'll write something completely perfect and beautiful, like Mate' Kudasai, or Eyes Wide Open. Amazing live show, as well.

5. Transatlantic - This was a side project group, and they only produced two albums. 10 songs in total. 160 minutes of music. I wish they would continue, but, alas, it was not meant to be. If you have a good connection, go download "Duel with the Devil". It's an amazing song, and flawless. Mystery Train is excellent as well.

I had trouble choosing number 5, because I realized there aren't too many other bands that I get excited about merely because it's that band. Mostly there will be several albums, or an era of a band that I enjoy, but not the group on a whole. Other possibilities were Frank Zappa, PInk Floyd, Spock's Beard, Steve Vai, and even Rush :eek: If for the rest of my life I could only listen to music by these musicians, though, I think I could continue to enjoy it, and that's what really says something.

EDIT: Also, it has come to my attention that this board has a profanity blocker, which means that words like, " **** " and " **** " get turned into "***. But fill it in accordingly.

5. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Medea

The Beatles were a close call for me, as was VU (I'm listening to White Light, White Heat right now), but like I said this really comes down to an issue of personal taste. It's not "the" definitive top 5, it's "your" definitive top 5. That said, I'll defend a few of my choices.

First, the easiest: The Who. Ok, like them or not they are easily one of the greatest bands EVER. I mean come on. You've got what is arguably the greatest pure rock album ever (Who's Next), the greatest rock opera ever written (Tommy), and a whole spate of great concept albums (ie Who Sell Out) and incredible Brit-rock standard setters (ie My Generation). If an argument can be made for bands like Led Zeppelin, then we have to include The Who.

I'll admit that The Band seems out of place, but it's one of the purest bands ever. They established the sound of Americana better than any other band before them. Not an easy task considering that all members save one were Canadian. They may not have had the longevity that other bands of that era did, but they were absolutely fantastic while it lasted. Doubt it? Listen to The Basement Tapes, Songs From Big Pink, and The Band. Then go out and actually watch The Last Waltz. Insanely talented, awesomely powerful in concert, and vital to the establishment of a style that, up until they appeared, was still emerging. They're the Nirvana of their genre. Bands like Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, and solo artists like Springsteen and Steve Earle (maybe even Tom Waites) owe The Band a huge debt.

U2's early stuff is, in a word, fantastic. There's no doubting that. I think their later stuff (save the travesty that was Pop) is just as good, if not a little better. I mean Achtung Baby is absolutely fabulous! One of the greatest albums of the 90s. The newest release (All That You Can't Leave Behind) is proof positive that, 20 years after they got started, they've still got it. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 other bands that can claim to have remained vital for that length of time, especially ones that are still recording. And let's face it, they're hard to top live. The intensity of their performance really shows the passion that they have for the music, and that really helps their case. I think they take a lot of flack because they're popular, really.

As for Dylan, well I've edited the original post to include "artists" as well as bands. ;)

Why did you choose some of your artists/bands? I'm interested in the why of this whole thing just as much as the how.

Anyone else? Come on, folks. This should be a lot of fun! :)

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

ok heres why i chose them

led zeppelin:...the greatest with out a doubt rock and roll band in history. heavy riffs..insane solos. i just love there style

radiohead:...the music of my generation...in fact the online music of it that i actually like. but what can i say...who doesn't like radiohead? there songs just hit so deep and there totally revolutionary.

nine inch nails: trent reznor is a god in the realm of music. you just can't compare. his layers...his lyrics...his melodies...so beautiful hes the only musician that can be so heavy and powerful with so small a volume...his tones are perfection.

the next two were harder...

pink floyd...love gilmours guitar work and you can't beat them when it comes to concept albums. the entire field of psychology should follow "the wall" as its bible.

aphex twin: something just hits me with a lot of his songs....

7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Re: The Definitive Greatest Band Ever Thread

1. brian wilson/beach boys (60s)
    2. kraftwerk (70s)
    3. new order (80s)
    4. underworld (90s)
    5. nils petter molvaer (2k?)

my favorites for every decade... :D

vSpacken

...oh, and here's my favorite album of all time:

Attached Files:

8. brogers macrumors regular

Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Boston
    Van Halen
    AC/DC....To me this is the greatest band that ever was.

I love all types of music. I loved the '90 alternative rock and the rock of the '80's, but to me, they were good and the bands today are good. However, when I listen to the above bands, I feel like I am listening to "greatness". Bands today just don't break the 100 million copies sold mark before they fade out. Hootie tried it, but lost it.

Just my 2 cents.

9. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

1) Rolling Stones
    2) Beatles
    3) U2
    4) Radiohead
    5) David Bowie (not a band, but I notice someone above had Bob Dylan)

[edit]
    The rationales:

1) Stones - so many good songs. So cool and badass. The Stones are rock 'n roll
    2) Beatles - wow, so much quality, breadth, and depth in the few short years they existed as a band
    3) U2 - they always surprise with what they come up with for their next album. Kinda like the Beatles in their day.
    4) Radiohead - the only recent band that has established itself with the greats, in my opinion. In the 90's they totally epitomized for me millenial angst.
    5) David Bowie - Wow, one of the true originals. Defined a style that still reverberates to this day 30 years later...

10. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Bob Dylan
    The Who

god, there's so many other great artists and bands, it's hard to make such a small list, but you asked for my top 5, so there they are.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm not gonna say these are the top 5...but definitely favorites & important as far as I believe...

1) Depeche Mode
    2) Pink Floyd
    3) The Doors
    4) Radiohead
    5) New Order
    6) Led Zeppelin

12. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

That's the reason it's a top 5, man. A top 10 would be way too easy. Choosing a top 5 says a lot more about a person. It's supposed to be tough, making a decision like that. Still, I'd say you did a FANTASTIC job of picking a top 5. ;)

13. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Hey man, good stuff all around.

I feel like people aren't getting the point of this. It's not some sort of Rolling Stone magazine all time greatest or anything, it's your all time top 5. Christ man, haven't any of you ever read or seen High Fidelity? ;)

14. howard macrumors 68020

howard

well theres a reason these bands are so popular :)

15. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Medea

Hear hear. So many good albums for so long, they gotta be included. And I agree with you, the 90's stuff was just as good. Achtung Baby will forever symbolize for me the transition in the 90's from grunge malaise to mid/late 90's decadent/futuristic millenial angst. Awesome. And Zooropa was underrated, IMHO. "Stay", "Lemon", and the title song. Man, those were good.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hmm... if it's my top 5... i'll probably catch hell for listing bad bands, but... in no particular order

b52's
    duran duran
    goo goo dolls
    counting crows
    REM

The latter two primarily because of their lyrics. i love deep lyrics that make you think about the song... so much better than this "come over here so i can have sex with you, have sex with you, yeah" stuff that's all over anymore...

music is about a hell of a lot besides sex... there's drugs and depression too... ;)

edit: Tommy alone puts The Who in the all-time top 5...

pnw

17. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hehe. Yeah, I have to include Massive Attack in there to show I'm down with the new stuff ;)

18. vniow macrumors G4

I don't believe my ears, someone is actually implying that there's more to music than sex, what is the world coming too!!?[​IMG]

19. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Hey man, there's not a damn thing wrong with R.E.M. And I totally agree with what you're saying in regards to the recent spate of date rape rap/rock that's so prevalant. It's nice to see that the subtleties of other subject matter such as the eternal drugs and depression isn't lost on everybody. ;)

20. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Awww, yeah man. REM. So many good albums. Oh well, it was hard to limit it to 5.

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

music is actually a verb for ear sex.

22. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

I take a lot of flak for the bands I listen to the mosty due to their stereotypes(some of them unfair)
    No particualr order:
    -Weezer
    -Ozma
    -Dashboard Confessional
    -Beatles
    -Radiohead
    (Also, if no one has heard any Ozma, i encourage you to do so; especially Flight of Yuri Gagarin, Shooting Stars, Domino Effect, Apple Trees, and Game Over)

23. howard macrumors 68020

howard

wow radiohead and the beatles are a popular one....thats cool

24. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

That's because they're rockin'! Come on folks, more top 5s! :)

25. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Kraftwerk
    The Grandfathers of techno. I have every album they've made, in several languages, and have seen them twice in concert. They are my gods.

The Alan Parsons Project
    Thematic, modern, enviornmental and emotional...every album an opera.

Tangerine Dream
    Masters of soaring, Euro sounds and head visions. They have so many albums and soundtracks now I've lost count. Saw them in concert as well.

The Beatles
    What can be said?

The Rolling Stones
    Classic rock 'n' roll and still going strong.