Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glowrider

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Okay I appreciate UPS's lack of accurate tracking online. I appreciate UPS's poor track record with past deliveries :p

BTW, Saturday delivery was not a gift from UPS ;)
:apple: did/arranged it . . . credit where credit is due

You past delivery history has no bearing on on today's delivery. Yes, Apple has arranged this, but UPS is the one conducting the orchestra. 250k 3lb boxes all going to different locations in addition to their usual delivery haul.

You'll get it soon - it's a beautiful morning, go walk to the Apple store and watch everyone who already has theirs:)

Cheers

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
From what I've read......it won't charge via USB from the computer if the screen is on.

The included wall adapter supposedly takes about 4 hours to charge it. From a USB cable on the computer it takes twice that....but I think the screen needs to be off.

-Kevin

Which just seems silly that the screen would have to be off but I guess it can soak up that much power.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
This is my first post from the iPad. Whoever's been complaining about typing on this keyboard must have giant hot dog fingers, because I'm flying on this thing.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
From what I've read......it won't charge via USB from the computer if the screen is on.

The included wall adapter supposedly takes about 4 hours to charge it. From a USB cable on the computer it takes twice that....but I think the screen needs to be off.

-Kevin

What the hell? How about plugging it via the included charger? Can you use it when you're plugged in?

tanousjm

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Just had delivery in Cincinnati, OH. Don't worry about statuses: mine still says "Destination Scan" at the sort facility and I'm currently syncing it to iTunes. My first impressions:

Good: Not too heavy; the bezel seems smaller and much better looking than in pictures; the wife liked it (said it was "very pretty")

Bad: I can clearly distinguish the pixels on the display. It's easy to tell that this is much lower in resolution and ppi than the iPhone. We'll see how that works out over time.

Overall, can't wait. I hope everyone gets theirs soon!

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
Went to Best Buy-Vauxhall NJ, their UPS Shipment didn't arrive yet. Gave out numbers and tickets. So as soon as UPS gets there, I get mine! 64Gig, wish there was more space. They had some on display there. Really nice machine. Felt great in your hands, not heavy at all, enough to make you feel like you were holding something. Seemed pretty fast too. Can't wait!

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
No iPads here in Canada yet either.:( They should have introduced the new MBP's for the rest of the world while we wait for the iPad.:p

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Regarding charging via USB to the computer....

Folks, the iPad will want to suck the FULL 500 milliamps (.5 amp) your computer's USB port can supply. Unfortunately, the following USB ports might not be able to supply the necessary current:

• USB Hubs
• USB ports on keyboards
• USB ports on displays or monitors
• USB extension cables over 20' in length

From experience with other high current draw USB devices, even if USB ports on the above devices work one time, it doesn't mean they will work every time.

Your best bet is to always plug the iPad directly into your computer's motherboard.

Oh... BTW... It is also my experience that some inexpensive laptops don't have any USB ports that can supply a consistent 500 milliamps. In those cases, you can sometime achieve success using a POWERED USB Hub. Sometimes.

Mark

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Just had delivery in Cincinnati, OH. Don't worry about statuses: mine still says "Destination Scan" at the sort facility and I'm currently syncing it to iTunes. My first impressions:

Good: Not too heavy; the bezel seems smaller and much better looking than in pictures; the wife liked it (said it was "very pretty")

Bad: I can clearly distinguish the pixels on the display. It's easy to tell that this is much lower in resolution and ppi than the iPhone. We'll see how that works out over time.

Overall, can't wait. I hope everyone gets theirs soon!

Wah! I moved away from Cincinnati last year.
Waiting patiently in Centerville (technically Washington Township) Ohio :cool:

Have fun with your spanking brand new iPad today ! :D

ET007

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Awesome man! It's rare to see someone from LEXINGTON, let alone KY! It's on it's way brother! I think you were next on that list I saw in his hands ;)

Who said it is rare to see someone from Lex, KY! I am also here in the Hamburg area. However, I have to wait a few more weeks since I ordered the 3g model. I am on my way to the main best buy store to play with the wifi model! :D

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
ipad: my initial impressions

Well my ipad is still syncing, but i got a chance to play with one at the Apple store for a while and here are some things I've noticed:

- You DO have to initially connect the ipad to a computer. It will not work until you do so. You will not be able to sync to anything prior to windows XP (windows 98/windows ME will not work) This is according to the Apple rep that helped me anyway.

- The weight of it is just right. It's not too light and it's not too heavy. It has a substantial feel to it, but I can easily see holding it for a few hours without getting tired.

- They had plenty of cases at the Apple store, including cases from Incase and Belkin. I decided to go with the Apple case, and I'm really not too impressed with it. It looks fine and will do the job for now, but it's feels very cheap. I can confirm that you CAN fold it all the way back and its completely comfortable to do so.

- This thing is FAST. There's virtually NO lag at all.

- For some reason, it's currently connected to my computer syncing to itunes, but it still says "not charging", and no, the battery is not full. It came at about 85%, I wonder why it won't charge while connected to my computer.

- When upscaled to 2X, apps look good but you can def notice a difference. It's worth it to buy the HD version of the apps you really like because you will notice a big difference in quality.

Let me know if you guys have any Q's

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No, at least not until it's jailbroken.

Devices can't tell the difference between a WIFI point and a tethered WIFI point ( unless Apple have disabled WIFI adhoc mode - which quite a few tethering software use ).

So, the real world - can iPad tether - any one tried it yet - on their smartphone or iPhone?

Thanks

Gixxerguyk6

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Canada
Congrats

LOL I never thought i would want one of these things. I thought they were just going to be big lame Ipod touches, but damn all this excitement is making me quite GREEN :D. Maybe i might have to get one in a week or two when i wont be trample in the apple store.

Lucky people :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.