The Demonized Seed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 18, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ok, so I thought the hemp legalization advocates were all basically weirdoes and burned out hippies. Then I read this article. It turns out, most of the hemp weirdoes are in the DEA.

A long article, but really worth a read.

http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-hemp03jan18,1,1658290.story

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The government's not against hemp. It's against the perceived threat to authority its use represents.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What threat is that, exactly? This seems to me to be a sort of worst case example of inertia. "There's no reason, it's just our policy," as the old bureaucratic joke goes.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I read somewhere that legalization of hemp usually leads to legalization of medical marijuana. (Something like this has happened in several other nations, apparently) And if we legalize medical marijuana, then people will start to wonder what's wrong with any kind of marijuana. And if the people no longer believe weed is produced by Satan to destroy their lives (because all pot-heads become crack addicts who knock over 7-11s, you know) then they may start smoking it. And then civilization falls and anarchy rules. So really, the DEA is just looking out for us. ;)

It's the old slippery slope argument, and it conveniently ignores the fact that no one (I know, at least) believes what the government says about marijuana anyway.

They are afraid of losing their death-grip on the minds of the citizens. If hemp is "okay", then they believe uncomfortable questions arise about marijuana. Which just says to me that maybe the uncomfortable quesitons already exist.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

According to the article, this is a red herring argument. Hemp is a different species within the same genus as marijuana, and many countries including Canada have figured out how to make a legal distinction between the two. Even as the law stands now, in theory at least, the DEA could allow the cultivation of industrial hemp in the US under a permit, but to date they've denied each and every application. So it isn't even a legalization issue as much as it's an administrative and bureaucratic one.

Another startling factoid in this article is the report that 95% of the "marijuana" eradicated by the DEA is in fact "ditch weed," aka non-narcotic hemp. So in effect the DEA currently spends millions of taxpayer dollars every year on pulling harmless weeds.

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Sure.... it's really maddening that they spend SO much money to pull out things that aren't drugs.
    I'm really sorry I'm reawakening this thread if it bothers people, but I was going to start a thread on hemp and decided it would be better to wake this one up than to repost.
    I was in a hemp store today (http://www.santafehemp.com/) and started getting sorta mad again about hemp not being legal to grow in the US.... no one could ever get high off hemp, and the economic and environmental benefits would be huge.
    Well, I guess the US is too afraid about it looking too much like marijuana.... in my opinion the benefits far outweigh any bad things that could come from it.
    Thoughts?

7. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Whoa, hold on a second...colour-me-stupid, but do you mean to say that hemp and hemp products are 100% entirely outlawed in the US??

Hemp things are just so common here in Canada, I find that hard to fathom. Or, am I missing something? :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As far as I know, the only legal hemp plantations in the US are maintained by the government for production of rope in time of war.

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Sweet frig! That's ridiculous! I'm not even a tree-hugger but hemp is still a staple of my life.

Wow, culture shock. I wonder if I'd get arrested on drug trafficking if I brought my hemp wallet into the States...

...Actually, I've already done that a few years ago :eek: Whew, barely got away with that one!

10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Probably not? But you may get your ass gnawled by a dog. :eek:

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds nasty.

12. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Horribly nasty! Especially considering this is my ass we're talking about here. I think I'll leave my precious hemp home safe in Canada the next time I head south of the border.

13. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Oh, sry, I was unclear... it's just outlawed to grow hemp. But hemp products are very uncommon. But you can pick up hemp twine at most craft stores.
    Btw, is hemp paper very common in Canada?

14. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Ha, is that tongue in cheek or do they still do that??

From a hemp fact sheet I read today:
    "A few years later, in 1942, nylon ropes were a great disappointment to our military forces....." and essentially we quietly lifted the band on growing hemp... and later banned it after the war.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I use powdered hemp protein daily in my morning protein and fibre drink. It's better tasting than soy or whey protein. Hemp oil is also a very good dietary oil, but flax oil is even better in our diet.

16. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Ah, very good. That eased my mind a little.

I have seen hemp paper, but it's not overly common and I think it costs a bit more than regular stuff. I've never seen anyone actually use it.

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You mean, for actually writing on? ;)

18. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Depends on the person, I suppose :p

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

When I joined the Credit Union I use as my bank they offered a hemp checkbook cover, which I payed a few extra bucks for at the time. That thing lasted 5 years being stuffed into my back pocket most days, and living in my backpack the rest of the time. All my plastic ones were crap within a year of that kind of abuse. My wife got one a year later, and treats it better. Hers is still going strong after almost a decade.

IIRC there is still a government program that supplies actual marijuana to a handful of people who were part of a government research program. I remember seeing an article about a guy who got a tin with like 300 joints that was his month's supply. I think he was using it to keep his glaucoma under control.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Yeah, it's the last of a group of people that were on a test run for marijuana back before it was illegal. Montel talked about it in some interview I read. I believe it is grown at the University of Mississippi. Anyone in Oxford care to verify that?

jon