The Departed - Scorsese's Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irmongoose, Oct 6, 2006.

1. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Just went to the opening show of Martin Scorsese's The Departed.

Beautiful.

It was absolutely mind-blowing. From the screenplay to the acting to the cinematography to the music, this film hits top notch. Scorsese has managed to take a great Hong Kong flick (supposedly) and make it a historical masterpiece. I came out of that theater holding my head in shock of what I had witnessed. The trailers say "the best film of 2006", I say screw that, this is the best film to come out of Hollywood in a long damn time.

For those of you who can't be convinced to watch a film full of "super stars" just because it's a work of Scorsese, let me tell you this: DiCaprio and Damon are simply amazing. Scorsese has managed to bring out the best of them in this film and it is just so obvious that it works. Jack Nicholson is a perfect Costello, and surprisingly, Baldwin as Ellerby has great lines you certainly do not want to miss.

Still reading this? Get off your damn seat and go watch the film! The Departed. Just doing my part so people go watch it - I'm going to be extremely disappointed if this doesn't break some box office records.

irmongoose

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

The Departed is an insane movie! Saw it last night and it blew my head off. It blew everybody's brains out. Sick. Loved it.

5. kentrox99 macrumors member

"I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

6. iGary Guest

iGary

*punch* - SHUT - *punch* - THE - *punch* -**** - *punch* - UP!!!!!!

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm going to go see it later this week after work with a gentleman colleague (Scorsese nut) or next weekend... :cool: ;)

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I think Nicolson will at least get an Oscar nomination for this.

Probably his best role ever.

(You'll love, it, BV.)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nicholson — he's already got three; Scorcese is the one who really deserves an Oscar. When a talentless hack like Ron Howard can get a statuette for Best Director and Scorsese — a real auteur — misses out, there's truly no justice in the world.

:mad:

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I agree, and not to try and save face, but when we were walking back to the car, we also said it would probably be up for best picture and director.

Best movie (at a theater) I have seen in a while.

11. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Saw this Friday...it just bumped "Thank You for Smoking" as my favorite film of 2006!

It was far better then I expected, the cast, performances was outstanding!

It's a Warner Bros., so I can expect this to hit HD DVD!

12. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I also loved the movie. Jack was, of course, Jack, which is never a bad thing. Leo was incredible. Damon, though... seemed too unbelievable. I didn't ever really see any chemistry between his girlfriend and him - I understand that there was supposed to be some lack, but it seemed completely absent.

However, none of that matters. I'd see it again, and highly recommend it.

Note, though, that there is a lot of very graphic violence, as one would expect.

14. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Huh. I've heard many good things about this film, but the trailer makes it look like any old cop movie. (??) You'd think with the reviews its getting, they'd have managed to make a better teaser.

I'll be seeing it soon though.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think they were trying not to give the whole plot away, unlike most trailers. ;)

16. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I agree, the trailer doesn't really show how friggin awesome this film is... but I think that makes the viewing experience that much more enjoyable and amazing.

Oh well, I hope word-of-mouth will more than make up for the lousy trailer.

I'm going to go watch it again.

irmongoose

17. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Yeah. Brutal. But good. Very good.

Spoilers below...

jsw: Edited so as to avoid accidentally revealing info to readers (not that it's all that pivotal) - select text to see it:

One small thing that stood out for me was when Damon was looking at the playback from the camera on the street and it was almost impossible to see any details. Unlike so many other movies where they can just zoom in and see every little detail. Or like CSI on television where they actually pull someone out of a database as a result :rolleyes: They sure relied heavily on cell phones, eh?

At the beginning when they showed Nicholson's character off'ing that couple, there was someone else with him. I could have sworn it was Baldwin, but that never played out, so I guess it wasn't him. Anyways, I thought Leo did a great job.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wasn't that "Mr French"? And wasn't the girl behind the counter at the beginning Jack's girlfriend later on?

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Heh. Secret agent code :)

yes, I guess it was French. And the young girl behind the counter was definitely all grown up later in the movie, but I'm not clear on whether or not she was his girlfriend. I'll have to watch it again I suppose. Bottom line. It's tough to be a rat, eh?

20. iGary Guest

iGary

Me too.

I thought it was a very brainy movie.

Get it? :D

*har de har har*

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The movie was good but a great performance by Mark Wahlberg. Glad MS got Jack Nicolson to tune it down a bit and focus on what the script wanted. Good Oscar contender...only the screenplay though.

Bless

22. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

The Departed

not great, but pretty good. Good ending, too. Scorsese d@mn well better win the Best Director Oscar he should've won for GoodFellas.

any thoughts?

EDIT: Vera Farmiga's role seemed kinda tacked on, to me anyway. But she sure was easy on the eyes...hubba hubba.

SECRET CODE BELOW:
    I don't think the girl behind the counter became his girlfriend later. I think the counter girl's name was Carmen, and his girlfriend's name was Gwen.

23. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

It is a movie for people who enjoy movies(just like the commerical says) I was very impressed, and thats good because I expected alot.

24. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I agree about the oscar I mean Damn did anyone see Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and of course Goodfellas.

But I think it was great along with Goodfellas