The Descent (Movie)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Badradio, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Badradio macrumors 6502

Has anyone here in the UK managed to see The Descent yet? I saw it on Sunday and I'm still feeling mildly traumatised. Don't get me wrong - I love horror films - but this really freaked me out. One friend compared it to the first time he saw Kubrick's The Shining; I wouldn't go that far, but it is an excellent film.
    Unfortunately - and the main reason for this thread - there doesn't seem to be a US distributor involved yet, meaning our Stateside friends won't be able to see it without a lot of work. So if anyone knows of channels to communicate with some of the distributors, it would be great if you could start some interest over there. Not just because it's a great film, but because Neil Marshall (director - also made Dog Soldiers) deserves to make a wad of cash from this.

2. Badradio thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to give this lonely thread a bump as the film now has a US release date: 2nd December. It's also out to buy on DVD in the UK on November 7th.

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am looking forward to getting it on DVD. Sounds really good! I wish I could get it by Halloween.

Thanks for the info--I love Horror movies!

ps: Any horror recommendations for DVDs I can get now?

4. Badradio thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not been a great year for the horror fan - maybe why this one stood out as a good choice. I really liked Creep but not too many of my friends rated it. I'm a big Franka Potente fan though, so that may have swung it for me. One that is worth seeing is Ju-On: The Grudge - the original version of the US remake. I liked the remake a lot, but the original really scared the hell out of me. :eek:

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

Thanks for the recommendations!

Did you see Haute (High) Tension? I heard it was good. Not released in the US (Cut version only) until 10/11/05, but they have it in the UK (uncut version).

6. Badradio thread starter macrumors 6502

Funny you should mention that - a friend loaned me a copy and I forgot I still have it. Might have to finally watch it this weekend. I saw the quicktime trailer for the US remake; looks good.

Another recommendation for a horror film would be Wolf Creek. Not seen it myself (didn't like either Texas Chainsaw and heard this is in a similar vein) but a lot of friends who are fans of that genre liked it.

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

One month left before the US DVD release. Everything I have read about this picture is amazing!

8. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

I watched Ju-on on Dish Network last week, funny horror movie. :)

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Has anyone seen "The Last House on The Left" 1972 movie?

I hear it is disturbing

10. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Ahem:

Code:
    <html><body></body></html>
    Cool Web site. :rolleyes:

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

The Wolf Creek website is not coming up for me.

12. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Code:
    <html><body></body></html>
    See the above code? Ad verbatim source code form Wolf Creek, fairly clean code too.;)

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I googled that movie, and got this.

What. The. ****?

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow, the naked wench project....i cant wait to see that. whats up with the needles?

Bless

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

16. Badradio thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like they pulled the site. Oh well, like I said: not really my thing. IMDB has plenty about it if you're into it.

The Descent DVD is out over here on Monday 7th, so I'm going to grab a copy and watch it with some friends who caught it at the cinema. Can't wait.

17. Badradio thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies for re-bumping this thread, but thought some of the US horror fans here might want to know that the movie is getting a cinema release very soon. The trailer is up on Quicktime Trailers in HD, with a cool new promo poster. You may already all know about it, but I'm reading that the film isn't getting much promotion over there. Also, it seems like the US release is getting a different ending - just a small snip - but will be obvious to anyone who's seen the UK version. Hope you get a chance to see it...