Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Style.

They will both be compiled to 0.

From what I can tell the stylistic difference is that NULL is used to indicate a null pointer to a primitive type, and nil is used to indicate a null pointer to an Object.

-Lee

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Assuming we're talking about Objetive-C:
nil (all lower-case) is a null pointer to an Objective-C object.
Nil (capitalized) is a null pointer to an Objective-C class.
NULL (all caps) is a null pointer to anything else.

So, conceptually, they mean the same thing but for different categories of things. They all have the same representation, too; they all happen to have the numeric value of 0.

I don't know whether or not NIL (all upper-case) has special meaning in Objective-C.

Darkroom

Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Darkroom, I believe on your avatar, the letter immediately following NS should be capitalized.

but then it would be an ex-object... and NSSexObject doesn't play with the term/concept as much... anyway...:rolleyes:

Assuming we're talking about Objetive-C:
nil (all lower-case) is a null pointer to an Objective-C object.
Nil (capitalized) is a null pointer to an Objective-C class.
NULL (all caps) is a null pointer to anything else.

So, conceptually, they mean the same thing but for different categories of things. They all have the same representation, too; they all happen to have the numeric value of 0.

I don't know whether or not NIL (all upper-case) has special meaning in Objective-C.

so to get this straight...??

Code:
[NSApp beginSheet:sheet
   modalForWindow:mainWindow
      modalDelegate:nil                 [COLOR="SeaGreen"]//pointing to an [I]object[/I] (modelDelegate?) and making it zero?[/COLOR]
      didEndSelector:NULL             [COLOR="SeaGreen"]//pointing to a [I]non object/class[/I] and making it zero?[/COLOR]
           contextInfo:NULL];           [COLOR="SeaGreen"]//pointing to a [I]non object/class[/I] and making it zero?[/COLOR]

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Yea, the different types can get confusing at times. In all my experience, I've only used the "nil" and "NULL" keywords, referring to an objective-c object pointer, and a primitive type pointer, respectively. I've never needed anything else, but maybe I just haven't gotten deep enough. :D

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
NIL is a reserved word in Pascal, I don't know what it would be doing in C (although I've never used objective C). Like NULL, it's value is usually zero.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.