Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
This has been happening way to much now. My cursor disappears almost everytime I go up into the top bar when using Safari, and sometimes other programs. Picture included, shows my cursor over the three color dots for closing, minimizing and maximizing. Notice no cursor, and there buttons only light up the way they are in the picture is when the cursor is over them.
missing.jpg

What is up Apple?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I want to know the answer to this as well - it has to be a Safari bug as that's the only program it happens in for me.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
If you start typing etc the cursor will disappear, to allow you to see the screen better. This isn't a bug, it's a feature ;) :)

Saying that this doesn't seem to be the case with you, maybe try doing the usual repair permissions etc and see if it is fixed. Any third party haxie installed that might be causing conflicts in your system?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Nothing to repair, and no crazy software. It just disappears. But it only disappears when in the confinds of the brushed metal area. That means when I come back down into the place where the webpages are displayed, or off safari, the cursor comes back, but when I go up to click on a bookmark, gone. And it wasn't typing either.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
That really is odd! Whilst not a major problem it does sound pretty annoying and disconcerting. Apart from what you've already done the only other thing I can think of is to go all out and do a complete reinstall. Hope you get it sorted out :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I was able to get rid of that problem by trashing the preferences and restarting - hope this helps.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
While I gave up on using Safari awhile ago, I used to experience this problem a lot too. It is different than the mouse disappearing when you type. The mouse just disappears when you move the cursor into the brushed metal region at the top of a Safari window. It never bothered me enough to pursue a solution, however. Although, it is a shame that Apple still hasn't corrected the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.