The disk "zzz" is in use and cannot be ejected...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

...try quitting applications and try again."

There's nothing in use on the CD. I've quit all applications, including force quitting the Finder and OSX still refuses to eject the disk.

This happens from time to time with mounted CDs and DVDs and the only thing I know to do is reboot and then eject.

Is there a better way of ejecting these stubborn disks?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Try restarting while holding down the mouse button.

3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

I recognize that restarting fixes things, but I'm looking for a solution that makes the Mac let go without the annoyance of quitting all my apps and restarting.

Any ideas on achieving this without a restart?

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try pressing the eject button in itunes....it works for me.:D

5. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

That happens to me when Spotlight is archiving a drive that i have attached - it won't let me eject until it has finished....but when a CD get's stuck i've always had to restart.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i've had this happen from time to time.....try clicking the mouse on the desktop or selecting some other file.....basically, you're doing this to de-select the disk....then click on the stubborn disk to reselect it and try ejecting it.........this seems to take care of the problem when it's happened to me

7. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

I found a solution that works only in some cases:

I've noticed that this happens when I've used Retrospect to access the CD. It's like Retrospect doesn't remember to tell the OS that it's finished with a disk when Retrospect quits. I found that in these cases, relauncing Retrospect, doing absolutely nothing that has anything to do with the CD, and then quitting Retrospect again solves the problem.

8. schmunzelmon macrumors newbie