The Disposable Mac mini

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 20, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

James Philp

Rubbish! this general discussion has been done over so many times,
    A Mac mini will last you 15 years if:
    i) You're happy with 10.4
    ii) You're happy with the speed and all your apps etc etc. right now.

They're not disposable, they're just superseded by software *shock horror* - this has been the game played by computers since conception.

3. macrumors 6502

I just have 1 problem with the article:

"Without anything but a RAM upgrade, a Mac mini should be able to remain fairly current for 3-4 years, so you're certainly getting value for your money, if not the fastest or most upgradeable machine in the world."

The fastest or most upgradeable machine?!?! Try an iMac, or a PowerMac, or an Xserve! Anyways...

4. macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's what he wanted to say. Perhaps stick an 'even' after 'money,'.

5. macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

6. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Reread as:

"It's not the fastest or most upgradeable machine in the world, but you're certainly getting value for your money"

7. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    you rarely use it and save your hard drive from wearing out. I thought the average HD these days only had a life expectancy of about 5 years.

8. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I found myself looking for a page two of the article, because he hadn't said anything by the time I got to the bottom of page one.

9. macrumors 68040

shamino

Not a terribly interesting article, but he makes one interesting point that I would tend to disagree with:
    His claim that a computer selling for 1/4 the price should last for 1/4 of the time assumes that the total cost for replacement is the price of the new device.

While this true for most consumer goods (like kitchen appliances, TV's, stereos, etc.) it is not true for computers.

When you replace a computer, you have to transfer/install your apps and documents. This can be very time consuming. Especially if you don't have a backup of the old system handy. (A direct computer-computer transfer may be impossible of the old system is dead or has a fried hard drive.)

The cost of transferring the data can easily be more than the cost of the computer if we're talking about inexpensive equipment.