The Dixie Chicks Ad NBC Doesn’t Want You To See

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 27, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

liberal media!

the video is available on that page.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Freedom of the press is obviously quite dead. How ridiculous. Where's the liberal media? It's a myth. Can you imagine the indignity amongst conservatives if this were Clinton? :rolleyes:

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

they fear retribution from the FCC, much as CBS did after the Janet Jackson thing. They're probably right to be afraid...

I would also guess that they don't want to risk losing their deal with NASCAR, though I wouldn't mind seeing them lose Notre Dame :D

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Now we're getting somewhere. ;)

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They should just go to the sundance channel. Lets face it people the giant megaCorporations own the TV. A liberal press is just more spin from the otherside because someone wasnt goosestepping to the corporations tunes. They own the media,the press, and our Congress & President. 5 years to even start on border security after 911 tells that story. We need another Hippie generation.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

are they whores because they're not afraid of you or because you're intimidated by strong women?

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

9. Queso macrumors G4

They're very big in Ireland. My partner loves them.

And here in Europe, you can say as many bad things about the good ol' boy in the White House as you like. I think it's actually becoming mandatory :)

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't get it. What is "whores" a typo for? :confused:

11. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Texans

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Please tell me you forgot the ;).

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

god damn pinko commie America hating unpatriotic liberals?

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I suppose it's a lot quicker to type.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Although I know what you are trying to say, this has nothing to do w/freedom of the press. If Dateline did a story about the Dixie Chicks, but it got canned because things were said that might be "disparaging to President Bush" then I would agree that it's a 1st Amendment issue.

Like I mentioned in the "Net Neutrality" thread, this is what happens when a handful of people control so many media outlets.

Lethal

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good night & Good Luck, seems we have seen this one before. History repeating itself only now instead of a loony tune in Congress we have one in the Whitehouse. I wish he would have caught the guy who did 911.:mad:

17. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's curious. The Dixie Chicks had a long segment on Hardball last night. GE's been making some strange decisions lately.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

NBC will not get any airtime in my home..period. If this pisses you off, then have conviction and do the same. I have enlisted 11 others in this boycott. This has to stop. Why not start here?

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

While I commend your action, it's not really the most appropriate step. In order to get NBC to change it's policy, you need to attack them where it hurts...advertising. If you want to make a difference, contact their advertisers and tell them that you'll boycott their products.;)

20. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Absolutely. There and with their wall street stock analysts. Nothing worse that a group of nervous major shareholders. We are going to get bumper stickers made, print a flyer, and try to get some interest. If you can get even a small identifiable block of people, then you can make some direct points with advertisers. In the '60's people actually DID things. Nowadays, people talk and hide.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

no theyre whores, cuz they suck.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

With all respect, Lethal, I don't know how that's not a First Amendment issue. Control of the media in fewer and fewer hands with a narrower and narrower spectrum of views deemed to be acceptable, seems to strike at the heart of the First Amendment. What kind of right is it to speak your mind if there is absolutely no chance of anyone else hearing what you have to say?

King Yaba and obeygiant, it is seldom I see such a well articulated argument. Amazing, simply amazing.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Suck what?

24. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ah...I'm afraid I must disagree. I saw them on CMT once, just the 3 of them with guitar/banjo/violin. They were damn good. The accompaniment sounded great and the vocals were pitch perfect. It may not be your cup of tea, but from a musical point of view they are extraordinarily talented.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While I believe it's a freedom of information issue and that it doesn't serve the public interest to have so many media outlets owned by so few people, I don't think it's a First Amend issue in that I could take Rupert Murdoch or Sumner Redstone to court for violating the Constitution. If NBC didn't air the add because of pressure (or perceived pressure) from the White House that's one thing, but if NBC didn't air the ad 'cause the guy in charge of clearances has a vanity plate reading, "W 4 EVAR" then that's quite another thing. NBC shouldn't be forced to show the Dixie Chicks ad anymore than they should be forced to not show the ad.

I'd love to see the deregulation caused by the Telecommunications Act of 1996 reversed but that genie is outta the bottle and it's never going back in.

It's late and I have the feeling I'm splitting hares (Looney Tunes reference) over semantics so I'm heading to bed.

Lethal