the dock and closing programs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GigaWire, Sep 22, 2002.

Dragging active icons off of the dock to close the program?

1. Stupid idea

7 vote(s)
  2. Hella Cool

7 vote(s)
  1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    Tonight, while working on my mac, I found myself wishing i could close programs by dragging the active program off of the dock. What do you guys think, stupid idea or functional genius?
  2. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Cool, although I think right click to get to the menu isnt that much different. Though this would help if you only use a 1-button mouse...
  3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I choose not to vote, because either of the two options are at opposite extremes.

However, I will voice my opinion.

I think the general idea is great, but the thought is poorly executed. I find it rather common to misclick and have my mouse shift upon this sheet of paper its gliding on, in which I may execute such an action and cause an app to be removed from the dock accidently. Considering I have avg. accuracy with my mouse anyways, and speaking from someone with poor kinetic skills, this idea may not suit everyone. I feel this particular operation works best for those with appropriate accuracy and precision with their mouse.
  4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    sometimes when i'm in a hurry i accidently open the wrong program...but i do like the idea!
  5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    so maybe make it an option that is able to be deactivated or something? don't make it default....?

it's a good idea... could be worked i think.
  6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    I don't see why command-Q is so hard? It's much easier/quicker than mousing an app closed.
  7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    You can't have that kind of behavior because dragging an icon off the Dock already has an effect: Removing that app from the Dock. Very intuitive and straightforward the way it is, IMO. If you were to drag an open app that has a shortcut in your Dock off the Dock to close it, what would happen? It would disappear in a puff of smoke and then just reappear in the Dock like magic? That's too weird, and could be confusing to some people. Drag-off-the-Dock-to-close would also barely save any time over simply holding the mouse button down and going to Quit, and it would mean just as much if not more mouse effort. So, it's a nice thought, but... no. :)
  8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I always use command-Q to close a program. Why use the mouse when you can do things much quicker with the keyboard.
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I right-click to quit applications frequently when I have related applications open and want to close them all quickly. This is also something I found useful when using Windows and wanted to close something other than the frontmost application without the carousel through most or all of them.

Dragging them out of the dock to quit them might be okay if there was another way to keep them in the dock but inactive.