Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Not sure if I understand what you're saying, so I'll have to ask questions. :)

Are you saying the "mystery" of Clara (which during Season 7 revolved around her "multiple lives") wasn't (fully) revealed in "The Name of the Doctor" episode? Or are you saying there is another major (Clara) plot point yet to be revealed?

He posted a leading question and a bunch of wiki info in order to then have a reason to respond with his own theory about Clara.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I honestly have a hard time picturing River Song with Capaldi's Doctor.
I have a hard time believing that otters would put up with him for a month, too. And I don't want to even begin to try and work out how and when Twelve and River could be known to one another.

I've absolutely no idea where they're going with this series. Twelve is grouchy and lacking in empathy, and Clara is becoming increasingly irritating and schoolmistressy. I have no interest in the Clara/Pink storyline. All will be resolved, obviously, but on balance I've found the first seven episodes to be individually rather weak and collectively rather disjointed.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I have a hard time believing that otters would put up with him for a month, too. And I don't want to even begin to try and work out how and when Twelve and River could be known to one another.

I've absolutely no idea where they're going with this series. Twelve is grouchy and lacking in empathy, and Clara is becoming increasingly irritating and schoolmistressy. I have no interest in the Clara/Pink storyline. All will be resolved, obviously, but on balance I've found the first seven episodes to be individually rather weak and collectively rather disjointed.

The otter incident Doc 12 mentioned could have been something that he remembered from his previous incarnation, that's how I took it anyway.

I also disagree about this series, it has been great overall, and "Listen" is already on my list of best ever episodes.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
The otter incident Doc 12 mentioned could have been something that he remembered from his previous incarnation, that's how I took it anyway.
It simply didn't occur to me that The Doctor was referring to anything other than his Twelfth self, which I think is my fundamental problem with this series to date. The Nine>Ten>Eleven transitions were a trend of increased youthfulness and (overall) decreased angst, and I find it difficult to adjust to the jarring leap to Capaldi. He really does seem like a new man.

The wibbly wobbly vacillations of the parent/child, teacher/pupil relationship are hopefully coming to an end following Clara's blow-up at the end of the latest episode but we've obviously got a lot of the Danny Pink Story to come, which doesn't fill me with joyful anticipation!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Depending on how this series concludes, this could be the best one since series 5. Although I must admit, I'm getting a little sick of these time loops Moffat seems to love so much.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Depending on how this series concludes, this could be the best one since series 5. Although I must admit, I'm getting a little sick of these time loops Moffat seems to love so much.

I'm sick of them only using the Master in the new series (even if she's now "The Mistress"). Couldn't they bring back The Rani or even The Monk?

Last edited:

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I don't think that's the last we'll see of Clara...

I think if it were, there'd be a press release/event to announce the new companion/s, and/or confirming Jenna's departure.

Notice, Saint Nick says it's no way to end things... or some such.

Yes, the Rani would have been - well, better than the Master... I HATE the decision to re-gender the Master. It just makes a mockery of 40-odd years of the character.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I want the next series/season to be Doctor Who and not Doctor Clara. Peter Capaldi is wonderful and dark, and he has not been allowed the spotlight.

Meanwhile, they just dropped Clara's original "impossible girl" storyline. I expected her to die each episode.

Maybe we need some fresh blood in the writing team.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
It seems like every other season finally switches between The Doctor's two greatest enemies: The Daleks and The Master. Also, I wonder if Clara comes back for the christmas episode and wishes for Danny back from the afterlife? Maybe that is how Clara's storyline continues and how we get Orson Pink...

I really liked Capaldi, but I wish he would be a little more energetic. I know he is supposed to have that "I'm old now and I hate everyone" attitude, but he should be more like eleven in sprit, since he still remembers events from that regeneration more fondly than the others.

Overall I have no idea where the show will go or do next (besides the Christmas special), so I am kind of excited personally!

PS- If Moffat kills off this Doctor at Christmas time like he does every other Doctor, then we have proof that Moffat hates Christmas!

----------

Does SciFi carry the latest episodes of the Doctor? or are we behind? (In the US)

Six years later, AND THIS STILL HASN'T HAPPENED! C'MON SciFi!!:mad:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
It seems like every other season finally switches between The Doctor's two greatest enemies: The Daleks and The Master. Also, I wonder if Clara comes back for the christmas episode and wishes for Danny back from the afterlife? Maybe that is how Clara's storyline continues and how we get Orson Pink...

I really liked Capaldi, but I wish he would be a little more energetic. I know he is supposed to have that "I'm old now and I hate everyone" attitude, but he should be more like eleven in sprit, since he still remembers events from that regeneration more fondly than the others.

Overall I have no idea where the show will go or do next (besides the Christmas special), so I am kind of excited personally!

PS- If Moffat kills off this Doctor at Christmas time like he does every other Doctor, then we have proof that Moffat hates Christmas!

----------

Six years later, AND THIS STILL HASN'T HAPPENED! C'MON SciFi!!:mad:

Dude, did you just quote me from 6 years ago? :eek:

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006

1996's theme tune, as originally premiered at Manopticon 1996.

This is slightly different (and IMO better) than the aired version.

Last edited:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
No Doctor Who theme music could ever be more amazing and magical than the original 1963 theme, largely because it was produced during a time long before music synthesizers had even been invented.

Delia Derbyshire, assisted by Dick Mills, created the theme (composed by Ron Grainer) in the of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, by cutting and splicing, and speeding up and slowing down pieces of analog tape on which recordings of test-tone oscillators (used for calibrating equipment and rooms) together with a recordings of a single plucked string had been made. Multitrack tape machines didn't yet exist either, so several different tapes were placed on multiple tape decks that were then started manually to produce a mix-down tape of the final result.

Few of today's electronic musicians would be crazy enough to even attempt to pull off something like this nowadays!

The Wikipedia article on Doctor Who theme music gives a more complete description of the process of creating the original theme soundtrack, along with details of the themes that followed it.

Video: The original full-length theme music

Last edited:

Geekazoid

Suspended
Sep 20, 2012
image.jpg

Hi guys!

Just thought I'd start a Doctor Who thread to see if there are any fans here of the newer series. I for one am a huge fan of the show and can't wait for series 9 to start in September of this year.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the show I'd like to invite you to leave a comment down below.

Cheers,
Geekazoid

Last edited:

Geekazoid

Suspended
Sep 20, 2012
Been a fan since the very first episode - way back last century. However, if the characters get any weirder than the last couple of Doctors, I shall pack it in. (I want aliens splattered all over the screen - not social comment).

Ah nice! Well I've seen the older series, but I just can't get passed the bad effects way back then. Whilst they were good for back then, by today's standards they look quite ridiculous, IMHO. My favourite Doctor of the new series so far would have to be David Tennant, although Matt Smith was pretty darn good, in my humble opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.