The Doom 3 Expansion Pack...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Mar 18, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    on April 1st, the Doom 3 Expansion pack is released on the PC.

Now I know the game just came out a couple days ago for the Mac, but does anyone know if this expansion will be released soon after for the mac, or are they going to wait? I wouldnt think it would take long to release since the game is already recomplied to run on a Mac... unless there are some drastic code edits or something...

...anyway, im just curious, since im having fun with Doom 3 (cant believe it runs well on my PB!!). :D
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I didn't think expansion packs had anything to do with changes to the game engine itself. Aren't they just wad files (or the equivalent for the new D3 engine)?
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I don't think it'll be that simple. They're supposed to add a gravity gun (like Half Life 2), so I suspect there will be some physics-related patching up to do.

Anyhow, I suspect an expansion pack for the Mac is down the road. I doubt Doom 3 will sell fast enough to warrant a port as soon as the PC version is released, but if Tiger really does speed things up, there probably will be new interest for Doom 3 and an expansion won't be farfetched.
  4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    It all depends on the popularity of the game. If Doom 3 is a hit, I bet we will see an expansion pack soon. Take Call of Duty for example, it was such a hit on the Mac that the expansion pack, United Offensive, came to the mac just a little more then two months.
  5. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

This is a really interesting angle for Macs...if they have been able to use the new OS to pull Mac gaming speeds up to where PC speeds are then most of the resistance to switching I encounter will fade as long as the games then start to come out around the same time...and with the XBox 360 using the G5 chip set I think that is a real possibility...
  6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Tiger IS supposed to be a big update for OS X...
  7. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    If we're lucky, you'll be able to use the Windows/Linux expansions with the Mac game (like you could with Neverwinter Nights). That new physics code could be a problem though.
  8. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I might be wrong, but I think the "new" physics for the gravity gun is actually based on the physics already in the engine. They just fiddled with the physics to allow you to control it with the gravity gun. Nothing new added to the engine. (Sort of like adjusting the physics to allow space-jump in cheats and such).
  9. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Yeah, I do think it might be really that simple. But, who knows if they refined it for their gravity gun? Anyways, it's more of a question about how well Doom 3 sells on the Mac. It really probably won't be a big deal. I suspect it'll take about 2-3 months (like most expansions) for coding and testing and finally hitting gold master.