The Draft? Yes, if Bush gets a second term!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PalmHarborTchr, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

The draft is coming back per Sen. Hagel. senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq (news - web sites) may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

Sorry you "young republicans" you cannot use an iPod under your
    helmet....but Bush said it would be okay if you wanted to be laid to
    rest with the ipod in the govt. coffin.

Latest headlines:

·
    Bush Says Forces in Iraq Strong Despite Pullouts
    Reuters - 22 minutes ago

·
    U.S. Works to Limit Iraq Troop Withdrawals
    Reuters - 24 minutes ago

·
    Iraq Police, Families Return to Fallujah
    AP - 33 minutes ago

Special Coverage

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."
    :eek:

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't see the point of worrying about a Draft. All they gotta do is raise the numbers cap on the size of the Army; it was reduced--or at least the overall numbers for all forces were reduced--during Clinton's time.

Another potential is to raise the enlistment bonus. And, forces now in places like Germany could be re-assigned. (I'm agin NATO, anyway. :) )

Weren't Rangel and Conyers the last to introduce bills to reinstate the Draft? I've read that Rangel did so, after voting against funding of Selective Service.

'Rat

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

'Rat, yeah, I think you're right about this. Rangel was pissed off about things and decided to make a point -- I doubt he is really for the draft.

But the way, can we lock this one up so we can stay on thread, so to speak.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

All they gotta do! You say that as if it's as easy as snapping your fingers 'Rat. All they gotta do is come up with $99,000 per soldier. How many would you like? 1000? 20,000? Put 5 zeros after your chosen number.

Besides, hasn't Rummy skirted the cap already while opposing raising it so as not to incur the wrath of the budget hawks?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hell, if the draft comes back, you'll see another Vietnam parallel: thousands of young people marching and shouting, "Hell no, we won't go!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.