The Dream Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Billicus, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Well, the title says it all...this thread is all about dreams. How often do you dream? What do you dream about? Do you remember your dreams? Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them? Any other ideas? :confused:

2. dreamlance macrumors regular

I dream pretty regularly, mostly just your normally weird dreams but the occasional nightmare or interpretable one. Here's a question - does anyone else interpret their dreams? How do you know which to interpret and which not or do you just do them all?

I had a dream last night about an avalanche that narrowly missed my friends and I. That's the most recent one I can remember. Because I've been sick, my dreams have been quite stressful since I just want to get better.

Another question - do you dream in color?

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well generally, I don't remem ber my dreams. Then again, I don't really want to know what I dream about, so I guess that's a good thing. This is going to sound like a stupid dream, but I swear I dreamed it. When I was like 5 I dreamed that I was kidnapped by OJ Simpson. He was taking me somewhere and along the way, he picked up a really cute Olympic Gymnastics girl. Pretty wierd, huh? BTW, this OJ simpson dream was while the OJ trial was going on.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes, indeed. I do dream in color. That's how I knew it was an olympic athlete from the US. (Red, White, and Blue.) And I never interprit my dreams. I don't even remember alot of them.. Or maybe I jsut don't have them that often.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't know if I'm dreaming in color or black and white. I even don't know what my dreams are about, as I seldom remember.

I only know that as a child I had this one dream over and over again, where I looked out of the window to the moon, then got a ladder and put it on the moon to walk up there.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Dreams have become a very sybolic thing for me the older I've gotten. I tend not to remember my dreams, unless I'm going through a stressful time or something significant is taking place in my life.

examples: relationships, work related things, trips, big events

I do find, that I have a tendency not to let things bother me...but it does build up a bit. What happens is I dream about those situations, and my subconscious makes me face them. They aren't always direct in the approach, but are dead on with painting an abstract picture of what's going on. I have gotten pretty good at picking out what things mean, and it's helped me out so much in dealing with the problems I don't let affect me while conscious. ;)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When I was younger my dreams were scarey, of a plane crashing in the basement. I would feel trapped in my room and could not get out. What was weird was I would get up and puch my table in front of the door, so that I was physically trapped.

Another theme was of falling, would wake up just when I hit the ground and feel a jump on my bed.

For the last ten years it has been about work, they are in color. The dream is very vivid.

8. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I too have trouble remembering my dreams but when I do it usually means something or has a sybolic meaning, if I can figure it out. I rarely have nightmares, most of my dreams are pretty cool. I do dream in color. The other night I dreamed my dad rolled one of our vans because he was driving cross-country with it and the incline got too steep. Luckily we were only a short distance from home so one of our neighbors invited us in for lunch...:D Weird huh? :eek:

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i know what you mean, it happens to me every night, i cant prevent it, i just close my eyes and then react quickly like im falling, i think it happens to most people. i believe one of my teachers explained to me thats how "falling" asleep got its name.

iJon

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Also too, I have a tendency to sometimes have my memory jogged at some point during the day...something very random will spark a memory of whatever I dreamed about the night previously.

I used to have this reoccuring dream that I was trying to run but everytime I took a step, it was like I was in slow motion in space or something...just couldn't get going. I also have issues with not being able to yell in my dreams. I eventually figured out it meant I felt like something was holding me back in life...the bad relationship I was in at the time.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah that happens to me too. ill dream, wake up and know that i dreamed but never know what i dremed about. i will think and think and think and nothing will ever come to mind. then later on in the day, bam, eveything i dreamed about is there.

iJon

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

do any of u feel deja-vu is something related to dreams, future telling or past live experience?

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh all the time, ill be driving with someone and look out the window and get the strangest feeling that i had seen that exact scene i just saw happen, it happens to me all the time. my girlfriend gets the same way, but she takes it a little more seriously, which is why i didnt let her watch final destination 1 and 2 which i recently bought.

iJon

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

haha...good call... ;)

I don't do it often, but I've found it's happened more in the workplace than anywhere else.

It's quite interesting. Do a search on google for it and read some of the explanations...neurological mishaps seem to be the biggest factor.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

one of the coolest things that has happened in one of my dreams was when i was in jr high. for some reason i liked to listen to the radio when i went to sleep. i had a dream about going to a funeral and there was a company logo on the grave. when i woke up the people on the radio were talking about how some companies will pay for your funeral if they can put their corporate logo on your grave when you die. it was pretty cool hwo it all happened with me sleeping and all.

iJon

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That happens to me a lot with my alarm clock. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper normally, and have trouble waking from my alarm in the morning...sometimes it's going off for 20 mins before I get up.

Anyway, I've had several times where the sound from my alarm will play into my dream. I'll be doing whatever, and this annoying buzzing noise is going on. Sometimes I can't figure out what's causing it and I get frustrated...then wake up. Once I heard it, somehow got it to go off (I must have hit the snooze), but then it came back & confused the hell out of me as to why it was back. :eek:

Before I used the buzzer, I had the radio waking me up. I'd find myself with songs in my head I didn't hear consciously throughout the day. ;)

17. vniow macrumors G4

I actually took a dreams class in high school, it was more of a symbolism class really..the last dream I can remember was having my eyes taken out and having a big chunk of the middle removed, like a cross section, when they were put back in, I had these anime styled eyes, except they were all black, with no whites anyhere...hmm....

18. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

I just dreamt that i was at a practice game with the Lakers as a starting point guard.

It was all in color, we were scrimmaging against the Clippers wearing red, while we were decked out in Lakers gold.

i was playing pretty well before i woke up. :)

Off to play ball for real now. Gotta work on that jump shot if i'm gonna be a starter.

19. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I had one really scaring experience with a dream (becoming reality). When I was younger I dreamt I was standing in front of the window of my parent's sleeping room. Then I saw somebody outside aiming with a gun on me. He shot and hit me. I became angry and wanted to run after him.

When I woke up the next day we had a small hole in the window like someone threw a little stone in it. Futhermore, there was blood outside of our flat.

Thinking about it today, I would assume that the dream had to be afterwards, but my mind says something else... Just an example of mixing dreams and reality and not being able to tell the difference.

20. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Definately. Two days ago I was at a gaming center with my friends. I had never been at that gaming center, and yet I remembered it, and the exact same situation we were in. I have deja-vu alot.

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

thanks to antidepressants, i do not remember dreams, i have not remembered more than 2-3 dreams in the last year. It kind of saddens me, because i used to have rather profound dreams. But a medication i was on before this one gave me the most vivid, horrific nightmares from the time i went to sleep to the time i woke up. i became afraid to sleep, and paranoid from the sleep deprivation. not exactly a good thing for one's mental health... so there are much worse things than not remembering mine now...

pnw

22. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

This is actually a bothersome issue to me as of late. Usually I don't dream, at least I don't remember them and normally, nothing 'jogs' my memory to recall dreams. I go to bed and I wake up.. its seamless, I drag nothing from that session into my day... but lately, I've been having awefull nightmares. Several a night and I wake up in the morning miserable and its been hurting my functionality.. just this morning it took me quite a while to shake that feeling and even now I don't feel like myself.

I had a dream last night that I was locked in my dead grandfather's house with someone i didn't know, who had several knives and was trying to stab me. I had to escape by jumping through the glass in the front room door.. and when I did so my parents scorned me.

23. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Yikes...:eek:

I used to have a dream as a kid about flying cards all heading towards a huge Toilet in the sky. It was scary at first when I had the dream, but then I liked it...I wish I could remember more about it because I came to the conclusion that it meant something...:mad:

A couple weeks ago I had a dream about my signature here on Macrumors...I dreamed there was a quote in it that I hadn't put there and that no matter what I did, the quote wouldn't leave. The first thing I did when I got up was to make sure that it wasn't there. It kind of freaked my out. Why? I don't know...:(

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, my deja-vu moments of my dreams are of the past. It's a recurrent theme now of the past 10 years. Somtimes its worse than others.

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha i know what you mean. its always a hard day at work defusing the bombs in my brain.

iJon