The dumbest person in the history of the world

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, May 3, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's no accounting for taste. I have to agree that the whole Tillman thing is being overblown. 700+ others died; they gave the same sacrifice.

Just because he gave up a life of fame and money we seem to hold his sacrifice above those who simply gave up a life.

I blame the conservative media.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

couldn't get further than the first two paragraphs

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ah, the comfortable isolation and naivete of academics...seriously, does anyone know anything more about the author...he looks to be in his mid 20's and from Puerto Rico, but politics? Something else to give this context? To me, his article seems disrespectful...and sad...and most of all, ironic...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as in, *he's* gonna get what's coming to him?

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, let me say this. Yes, over 700+ other fighters have died. But Tillman is different. He is someone that did give up fame, fortune, and celebrity for what? 16,000$ a year, and his death? Why? The authors conention that it was because he is a want-a-be rambo is disgusting. The arguement that he got what he desevered because he was looking for the fight.

Unreal. This guy is an idiot to the highest level. And frankly, I would love to get my hands on the guy. Reality. Tillman does deserve to be known because he is what this country should be. If we were a country of Pat Tillman's, the world would be a better place.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Amazing what you can find with Google these days...

How about some early pictures of Rene Gonzalez.

Attached Files:

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Yes...and the fact that he is as (or more) naive and prone to simplistic thinking than Tillman and others he purports to to be fufilling "Rambo" fantasies and other naive assumptions...(does that make sense? I'm tired...)

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I read it... way to complicated to get into understanding what he is saying... I will say that no one deserves to die... that works for all sides...

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I guess it's unpolitic to point out that Tillman died in defense of a lie. His motivation may have been sincere, but the circumstances behind the war itself are not as pure. This guy rightly points out that 50% of Americans still think Saddam had something to do with 9-11. Does anyone on this board still believe that? Did anyone *ever* believe that? Tillman may have thought he was defending his country, but really he was invading Iraq. This guy just pointed it out in the bluntest manner possible. His mistake was questioning Tillman's honor when he should have been questioning Bush's. I'm sorry Tillman died but the guy's right, it's dumb to idolize someone who died fighting for a president's lies.

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Pat Tillman was remembered Monday as an honorable man who overachieved on the football field then became a war hero when he died in Afghanistan after walking away from a multimillion-dollar contract to join the U.S. Army.

Yup... he died in Afghanistan, not Iraq. I was confused so I did a search :eek:

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Perhaps I am better off for not reading this article, but the page won't load for me. Says that it can't find the server.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're not missing much. The page loaded for me, but I can't find the point.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Talk about misguided... Seriously, feel however you want about the war and the people in charge who make the decisions surrounding it, but don't take it out on the soldiers who fight it.

I'm sure that same kid wouldn't like to see someone write a column that said Matthew Sheppard got what he deserved. Putting yourself on the opposite side of an issue for a second helps keep your perspective.

15. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

The same character test that Bush may have failed by figuring out a way to join the NG and stay out of Vietnam.
    The same character test that Clinton may have failed by being a draft dodger.
    Is the one Tillman passed.

Those who would put down those who side step service should not also put down Tillman for facing his service head on.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

though the op/ed piece is leftist, i feel that the hateful content is reminiscent of what i hear from so many right-wing commentators. and sometimes from the bush administration, too.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That isn't what Tillman did. Tillman signed up. I haven't seen any quotes from him about why he decided to sign up so I don't know if the commentary is accurate or if the guy is projectiong.

There is a difference in signing up to go to war and being drafted. The first is a choice, the second is requirement.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why is he different? The only thing separating him from the others is fame, fortune and celebrity. Does that make his sacrifice more significant? I contend that it does not. I'd contend that someone who's children are now fatherless has sacrificed more.

Um, if we were a country of Pat Tillmans, we'd all be dead.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - General George S. Patton

20. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

His sacrifice of his life for his country is not different than anyone elses just because he has money.
    Had he lived he would've been sacrificing his fortune something most people would never do. Thus he did make a sacrifice most people wouldn't even think of doing. Some might even call him crazy but maybe he just had that much character and cared about his country and our goals that much.

21. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Not you Sun Baked, but the guy that drew this. Idiot.

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

No. It plays into why the author of the letter from UMass said what he did. Tillman signed up to go play war, possilby. His intentions may have been honorable or he may have wanted to "go kill him some A-rabs." I don't know the man personally and I haven't seen any quotes about *why* he went.

good quote.

My own personal quote: If you want to serve your country become a teacher or a mentor.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Stillman shunned the publicity that it's said the Army wanted. From what little he said, he was affected by 9/11 and saw it as his duty to this country to enlist, train and serve in what he took for granted would be just retribution.

A point made by his life and death is that there are indeed people for whom money is not the be-all and end-all in life. What they see as a duty to their society is more important.

What's brought out by this brouhaha is that cretins like Gonzalez and Rall are terminally clueless about people and their motivations...

'Rat