The Earth

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Texas04, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

We need a graphic of the earth rotating in space for an Intro to our newscast at our school. We have one now but its very old... very old... I was wondering if anyone knew a place where we could find one. We would be willing to pay for it if it was part of a package. (An animation probably) but we would like it to look a little Ligit.. lol. Anyone know where I might be able to find one?

2. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I was just doing this the other day. I aimed my XL-1 at google earth and let it spin for a while. Worked like a charm.

Be sure to use the universal version of Earth, I think its beta 4.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The globe in the 3D atlas bundled with macs in the past is also pretty nice. I suppose you could use a video screen capture program to record it.

Here's the 3d atlas software:http://www.mackiev.com/3d_globe.html
    ...but check the macs around your school, one of them is bound to have it.

4. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Check out creativecommons.org's video archives, there is an option on the left for Open Source movies and access to the internet archive. Not sure if they will have what you but could be a good source for things to come. Be sure to read the licensing policies for they are different for each clip. There is also an audio data base on here too, which I frequently use.

5. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Would we be in violation of copyright laws if we did that w/ Google Earth? Its a good idea, but... :-/

Thanks for the other ideas im looking into them! :)

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Google's terms of service, which I would guess would be similar to licensing, says this:

"The Google Services are made available for your personal, non-commercial use only. You may not use the Google Services to sell a product or service, or to increase traffic to your Web site for commercial reasons, such as advertising sales. You may not take the results from a Google search and reformat and display them, or mirror the Google home page or results pages on your Web site. You may not "meta-search" Google. If you want to make commercial use of the Google Services, you must enter into an agreement with Google to do so in advance. Please contact us for more information."

http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html

Not sure how that applies to uses other then web specific but I would assume that like with any content, you would need to get approval for commercial use. What level of school are you in? How will it broadcasted? This sounds like a fun project for someone who is into 3D.

7. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Digital Juice makes great stock animations. There's a whole volume (Jump Backs #22) called "Global Impact" that is nothing but globe animations.

www.digitaljuice.com

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Nasa's WindWorld would be better than Google Earth because they have a built in recording facility and Nasa's earth looks more realistic than the one in Google.

Although I think it only runs on PCs at the moment.