The Effect of Middle East on November Elections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FFTT, Jul 16, 2006.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm not sure how many people have noticed the curious timing of the Israel-Lebanon conflict.

We all know that the majority of PNAC members have very close ties to The Israel Lobby.

Israel has it's own right wing extremists who will stop at nothing to secure the continuation of U.S. military funding.

We also know that Israel depends on strong support of a sympathetic U.S. Congress.

The Bush administration knows that Republican control of Congress is essential to their agenda and provides a buffer for any attempt to impeach the administration.

We know that the Democratic Party's primary goal is to upset the Republican's Control of Congress and until now that has been a strong possibilty.

Until last week, the Democratic Party has been structuring their campaign around anti- war sentiment and some plan to reduce U.S. troop involvement in the Middle East.
    Obviously, any such plan is now virtually impossible.
    In effect, these new hostilities have derailed the Democrat's strongest running platform.

Israel's attack on Lebanon has now galvanized Islamic extremists to an all time frenzy insuring years of terrorist reprisals against Israel and it's allies.

This administration's only strong running point continues to be anti-terrorism and national security.

With the November Congressional elections only months away, this new threat will provide Republican candidates with a renewed fear platform to continue their agenda and give them a much better chance of holding on to their seats in Congress.

That's the way I see it.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

The Middle East is not affecting my decision.

I am voting out all incumbents.

3. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

Me too, but I think the situation in Israel will be used to fire up the voters
    who support Israel.

They will support the candidates most likely to protect their interests.

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I thought it was obvious that this is a plot by Howard Dean and DNC to destabilize the region and promote DNC ideals before the election. Gosh I thought that this conspiracy was already in the open! After all it magically co-incides with the demise of Lieberman, strange how this is working out, I'll bet that Dean calls for Israeli restraint while pulling the strings for Iran!!:rolleyes:

Give it a break how'bout it.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

In other words, the Jewish lobby and the rapture-is-upon-us Christians. A little something on both sides of the aisle. Interesting.

Strange bedfellows indeed.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is about Israel's decision not to support Hamas. Had Hamas not been voted in, it's likely that the situation wouldn never have arisen.

Your doomsday and conspiracy scenarios are getting a little stale.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

WTF? You are saying that this conflict was a carefully orchestrated plan by the Republicans (not the Democrats) to win in the November elections?

You've lost it.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory by the neocons (I would hope not) but I certainly think they are going to play this up. You'd think people would be tired of it and elect Dems if for no other reason than to send a message to those who've helped to make things worse and continue to support those who do. And that would include certain other Dems. But people are still fooled, still think our current "plans" (and I use the term loosely) are working, and that any deviation from that would lead to disaster. As if we aren't already headed that way.

I'm not going to blame us for what's going on, but we certainly haven't helped. I'd even say we made things worse. And now they think we'll be there to back them up. Which we probably will.

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If you mean push out incumbents, fine, but electing Dems as a response to war, Besides Johnson and Carter (OMG), please read my last post in the "is W too dumb" thread concerning intelligent Dem Presidents.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd rather vote for the corpse, even if the corpse is an independent.

11. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

It must be all this fresh country air up here in the mountains, tends to make 'me keep an open mind.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, just electing "the other guy". Didn't say it was rational. As I said in another thread, it not so much that I like the Dems, I'm just really sick of the neocons. Apparently, most of America feels the same way.

Of course, we just don't know if that will translate into actual votes.