Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Well I switched in November of 2006 and whenever I log in to a Windows machine, I find it not as easy to use as it once was. By this, I mean that I am not as used to it, so it seems clumsy by comparison; also I have been a PC user longer than I have a Mac user. However I do not, for a second, regret switching. It's probably the best thing I've done in a long time, not to mention most wise.

Heck, even my Mum is considering it and she isn't exactly tech savvy.

I love my Mac and I just see why Mac users love their machines as well.:cool:

*Hugs 24" iMac* :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
my mum has exactly the same problem. Her work gave her a (quite shoddy) Toshiba PC, and after she has been using the MBP for a while, she starts using Mac shortcuts in XP, and then remembering that XP uses a more complex method to get the same thing done.

She's currently having trouble burning CDs. Apparently there is a setting which needs to be changed when reading/writing CDs after reading/writing a DVD. Even the IT pros (i use the term 'pro' very loosely here) there can't give a straight explanation on how to do it.

Windows makes you appreciate just how great Mac OS X is :)

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
My experience has been the same, the longer I use OSX, the Windows interface seems to get harder to navigate.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I was the same, as a savy windows xp user I moved to Mac osx and didn't go on a windows xp machine for a year. when I went back to windows xp I was awful, very clumsy and forgot everything, but it came back to me after a while.

dale.albiston

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
biggest effect os x has had with me is that for some reason I no longer accept the a product is naff quality 'because it just is'.

e.g. my satnav crashed almost daily, according to manufacturer its made on 'pocket pc' technology, so i just have to accept this. back in box and back to shop, got a refund eventually.

sick of stuff that frankly doesn't work, or only works after spending two hours on the net grabbing drivers and learning how to hack the config files.

os x basically 'just works', as it should.

hoop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2007
Bath, yookay.
I've been using both formats for years - and OS X exclusively for 5, but Windows still feels like 'home' for me. I don't know the latest versions very well at all, but I find them very intuiative. Funny that this isn't because of the design so much, but because they're built upon the design of 95/98/NT. I really want to try Vista though, I'm not going to judge an OS without using it first, as a lot of Mac users I know seem to do.

I do find that I'm used to stuff working though. My parents have no end of problems on Windows, and just accept it as part of the package.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
I'm with you there. You don't realize how often you use a feature until it's not there.

That's where Entbloess comes in :p

I get tired of my PC at work freezing on me whenever I connect to a VPN. The nature of my work requires me to connect to client networks via VPN quite frequently. We have to use Windows at work because it is the required platform for the software that we customised and resell, plus the head of our IT dept is a Windows/SCO OpenServer fan (that says it all, however, we've managed to get him to like linux too).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.