the emac fan saga continues

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by emacnewbie, Feb 17, 2004.

1. emacnewbie macrumors newbie

Does this sound familiar? 1. Decide to purchase emac. 2. Visit Apple retailer and closely(with ear to the machine) listen for the fan noise others have described. Hear barely a whisper in a quiet store on a Sunday morning with little activity. 3. Purchase emac. 4. Get home, set it up and when power is applied the emac fan can be heard from across the room. I must say this is a great computer for our purposes and the noise is at least constant and with itunes set to The Spirit of Jazz I'm ok with it. I'm just puzzled a bit in the difference from store to home. I swear the place was close to dead quiet. Can they tweak them fans? The store models were on the swivel stands but I can't believe they would help that much. Thanks in advance, Mike
    :confused:

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It may be that the ambient noise in even a quiet store is more significant than you think. I guess the only way to know for sure is to take some kind of sound meter to the store and check that way.

Noise depends SO much on context. I was thinking of repurposing an old CRT iMac as an audio server in my living room, but it turned out to be MUCH too loud for that--but in the context of our office (where it continues to sit), it's fine--seems whisper-quiet.