The end of Ferrari as we know it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 7, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Yey... my old Uni has been choosen to help Ferrari out in a quest for a new design language! :D

About time though, apart from the Enzo (which although not 'classically' beautiful, is undeniably purposeful and business like) the rest of Ferrari's range are lacking that... that something, that a Ferrari should always possess.

Obviously the cars work though... the Enzo monsters all comers, the 612 has just been called the greatest GT on the planet by Autocar magazine, the F430 is pulling in the reviews as being better than an F40... it's just the aesthetic that is cause for concern, much like Porsche I suppose.

Personally I'd like to see them revisit the beautifully classic lines of the '60's, much like how Alfa have with the 8C Competizione for their GT range, and push the technical and performance envelope witha more radical models like the Enzo that push road car performance with existing technology and materials to their ultimate conclusion.

Rinky dink link

Thoughts?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

interesting article, matter of taste i suppose. i'd like to see them move away from the 80's looking designs myself... definitely agree with you that the old-school look was more appealing.

3. mpw Guest

I read, briefly, this article in Autocar last week and my understanding at the time was that they’re asking for more than just an aesthetic brainstorm.

I thought they were looking for more far-reaching ideas like whether they should be looking at a diesel / SUV / hybrid etc.

Now calm down iGav, deep breath, I’m not suggesting they should just that they’re looking to move into new areas. Right now I can’t think of an automotive area they should be looking at which is why they’ve asked someone else.

I think we’ve almost reached the pinnacle for road cars in as far as power and speed are concerned future advances are going to be in safety, fuel economy, affordability etc. none of which are really Ferrari trademarks or aspirations. Which is why they trying to find a new niche to exploit.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I read that too.... the Super Enzo!!! :D

I can't imagine a Ferrari SUV, one only has to consider the failure of Porsche to know that that is a bad idea, but I'm down with a hybrid/diesel suggestion.

Maybe a cheapish (by Ferrari standards of course) trackday car, much like a Radical that would be easily affordable to the club racer.

I'm still chuffed that my old Uni has been asked to be involved, luckily I still know my old lecturers so it might be worth paying them a visit sometime soon! :D

5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

cool news, I have a friend who's currently studying at coventry uni. Doing transport design, I'll give him a call and see if hes designing a new super car! I nearly did car design like he's doing, cool area of work. I bet there are some real petrol heads on his course!

6. mpw Guest

Weren't Maserati working on an SUV? I think it'd make more sense to preserve Ferrari's heritage to have Maserati continue to broaden it's range with an SUV & mid-size saloon to compete with 5's & E's etc. but to brand these Maserati's in some way with the Ferrari 'halo'. Kinda' like the old Lancia saloon with the F328's engine (Thema 328?)

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah they were.. actually I'm thinking that was Alfa? who were working with Audi for the 4WD expertise? and Maserati with VW for the diesel tech? damn... now that's got me thinking.

I can well imagine Ferrari releasing a diesel GT though, when you think about it a high capacity diesel would be ideal for cross-continental performance without having to tank it up every 200 miles, indeed imagine a V12 diesel 612, a lot of the 'chatter' of a diesel engine can be all but tuned out and masked with a naughty exhaust note (my lady works for Audi UK and had an A8 V8 TDi) and that doesn't sound like a diesel at all.

As for the Thema 8.32 (8 cylinders 32 valves) :D

8. zuffen macrumors member

"one only has to consider the failure of Porsche to know that that is a bad idea, but I'm down with a hybrid/diesel suggestion."

What failure?

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

The Cayenne... so unpopular they were almost tempted to give them away with every Happy Meal.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They're selling like hotcakes at my local Porsche dealer, but then again this is America... :rolleyes:

I have to admit that Ferrari's latest designs don't have the visceral appeal that many of their cars have typically had - though today's designs are still a far cry stylistically from eyesores like the 412 (although I'd rather have one than a Cayenne).

They need a new design for their front-engine line to replace the 550/575etc. series, which was never quite right I think.

But to be honest, I never got tired of the 456...beautiful.

And for God's sake Ferarri, DON'T build an SUV. :mad:

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Things must have changed, last thing I read about the Cayenne in the U.S. was that Porsche couldn't even give them away, with supply far outstripping demand and big discounts to be had on the S version, not to mention the near vertical depreciation that had buyers mouths resembling that grill. :eek: :p

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Maybe the discounts are having a positive effect on sales, since I stopped by the dealership the other day to dream and their entire stock consisted of the Cayenne S. Or maybe my local dealer has just had more luck than most. I was paying more attention to the '89 930 they had on the used lot... it's black too, my favorite...<sigh>

All I can say about the Cayenne is why?