The End of Firewire?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by The Lamprey, Jul 27, 2005.

1. The Lamprey macrumors newbie

With talk about the new Bios(EFI) and the eventual move to Intel chips, what would be the outcome of Firewire? No more FW booting, Startup disk choices or FW Target mode, Is Firewire being kicked to the back seat with the move to intel? or is Apple going to modify the new systems to be compliant with FW? this would be a big problem with exisitng users.

Please post comments.

2. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I certaintly hope not. Firewire disk mode is one of the reasons I love the mac. It makes backups and file transfers a breeze. I don't think apple will get rid of firewire. They did help to invent that standard you know.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Where did the notion of EFI = no Firewire Target Mode come from? One of the great things about EFI is that it's even more customizable than BIOS, and manufacturers can write additional features they need into it. I guarantee you, if EFI doesn't have Firewire target mode booting built in, Apple will write it in.

If they're using EFI at all. Nobody knows what firmware they will use in the MacTels.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Please don't kill FW booting!! I'm sure Apple will find a way to allow for the same FW functionality on the new Intel Macs. My Windows using friends envy me for my ability to use Firewire drives with such ease. Its so nice to have an extra drive to boot off of when I have an HD issue.

I don't think there is a need to worry, Apple will make things right.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is my understanding that Intel is incorporating FireWire support into its chipsets. As for the general notion that FireWire is ending, it is a fantasy of silly fanboys who have no concept of a world outside their parents' basement. USB has no use beyond connecting low data rate devices to computers. FireWire connects high data rate devices, but it does not require a computer in the loop. It is the standard of connectivity for digital video including virtually every HDTV-compatible cable settop box. As we make the transition to HDTV, FireWire will eventually find a place in nearly every home with a TV set. We must not forget that FireWire has been the standard transport protocol for professional digital still-imaging. That was back when professional digicams had resolutions of 5 Mpixels. They now have up to 21 Mpixel resolution.

6. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Losing FW boot mode would be a real bummer. That is one very useful feature I have loved about the Macs. When it came out it was like, "Duh!? Why didn't we have this all along!" By extension all the resources of the slave machine could even become available to the master.