The end of 'more'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, May 22, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought this was interesting, especially considering the source.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-mcgovern22may22,0,5962975.story

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wow, queue up some MacBook Pros, .. hell appears to have frozen over. An op/ed piece in the LA Times that doesn't make me want to yack? :eek:

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I dropped out of my local union after finding out they were spending quite a bit of "our" money without consulting the members.

I just don't trust the leadership any more.

This was after more than 20 years of membership and thousands in paid dues.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This only works if the businesses update their vison of the workers as the enemy at the same time. Otherwise you get two groups of people, each pointing a finger at the other and demanding that the other unilateraly disarm first.

But yes, workers need to recognize the reality of competing in a global marketplace.

6. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

The fact that George McGovern has addressed and accepted this important economic reality is an impressive step forward in poltical journalism. I hope this sparks off some truely honest dialogue among businesses, unions, & politicians about how to address the economic problems in the US (it's not like we don't have any). The only way America can solve national problems is by talking about what's really happening and how to fix them, instead of demonizing everybody who disagrees with an expressed approach. Unfortunately, that's the most proven way to win elections, @ every level of leadership.

And there's no King Arthur out there either, all our leaders are guilty of going along to get along, be they polticians, businessmen, or union leaders. They're all in it up to their eyeballs.

7. FatTony macrumors regular

This was the point of my health care debate thread awhile back. Universal healthcare would be a boon for business and individual workers.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, and I think it should be made clear that McGovern believes that this "new deal" doesn't work without taking health care out of the union-management conflict, and without progressive taxation.