The End

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peyton, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Here I sit, my LAST project in college is due tomorrow and I have NOOOOO motivation to do it. Its due at 12 noon EST. I have gone through college in 3 years and earned two degrees, English and communication, and here, on the last day, I confess I am burned out.

Last year (2005) I earned 60 credits towards my degrees. I got all As.

This year, I am earning another 24 in this semester alone, I thought I was unstoppable, well, here at the finishline, I am broken and cannot motivate myself to do anything.

Btw, since I'm a bit chatty, I have maintained 7 jobs during this time, and I'm 20 years old. (birthday in october). I don't want praise, but MOTIVATION! Anyone have any tips? advice?

THANKS!

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You know i have to motivate you...GET off ya arse and do it!....how was that.:)

Bless

3. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

well. kind friend. I have to stay on my 'arse' to type it all up! so try again...:eek:

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What grade do you feel you need in that class? How well do you need to do to get that grade?

5. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

well if I don't do C level work, she said she would fail us. So I have to put at least some effort into it. It should be so simple JUST DO IT! but I feel like doing anything else right now ANYTHING

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Oh man, I need some major motivation and a ban from MR. I've got 4 assignments due next week totaling about 5000 words + calculations and that sort of thing, and I haven't even started! I feel a few all-nighters coming on.
    It's just so hard to sit down and get started. Once I do I'm usually fine.

Peyton, I felt the same way at the end of High School and the thing that got me through was the thought that I would never have to do anything like it again!

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The best motivation is seeing that you've made some progress in a project, and that an end is in sight. Sit your butt down and hack out a bit of the project...and the rest will come easily.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, it's been 17 years since my last college project. I had to determine launch vectors and course corrections including some using gravitational assists to get a probe in orbit around a moon of Jupiter. I needed a 'C' to get an 'A' in the class. I could have blown it off a bit, but I remember thinking "this is the last thing I'll ever need to do in college - I might as well do it right." I got 100% on it. I clearly remember the whole situation. I don't remember the math, but, hey, no one uses math in real life, right? ;)

I'm not saying that, 17 years from now, it will matter - at all - how you did in this class. But odds are you'll remember the last thing you did at college, and, if I were you, I'd rather spend the next 12 hours doing one last project right than spend however many years wondering why you got so close and then screwed up at the very end.

But that's just me.

9. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

or possibly writing incessantly on MR? I'm with max, a ban for the next several hours would probably do it ;)

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Try disconnecting from the internet, and then turning everything else off.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sure that one of the mods would happily ban you for a day or so if you'd just ask.

So.... what's the project you're avoiding?

12. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

thanks jsw, you're backhanded friendliness is coming off strong :p

Anyway, its a 50 page :eek: research paper (full blown 'create your own measures, gather statistical data, go off of theories previously existing, explain results, reconceptualization' project.

I have probably 8-10 pages to go, but could go with 6 if I wanted.

btw, your opinion does make sense, I want to do my best deep down, its just this momment is hard to get me out of...

U2 - stuck in a momment...

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

you can do it Peyton..just focus on the prize and get it cracking...once you start it will come natural.

Bless

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'll reply to that - if and when you finish your project. ;)

15. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Similar fate here although at High School, my final year have very little motivation. Tired of school really.

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

17. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I feel your pain... I'm graduating high school in a month, and tomorrow I have an English paper due. (Hopefully) the last English paper I'll ever have to do, if I understand my college's requirement correctly. However, English is most definitely NOT my thing, and there honestly isn't anything to say about Romeo and Juliet that hasn't been said a million times before... so yea. No motivation. I definitely see where you're comiing from.

18. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Finish it, don't finish it, either way you'll fail.

Now go prove me wrong...

19. angelneo macrumors 68000

20. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

Thanks but I just contributed to the site, I don't think they'll ban me for at least a couple days :)

7 pages and counting friends!

21. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I didn't realise such a thing existed. :confused:

22. angelneo macrumors 68000

Why are you still posting here?...........

23. angelneo macrumors 68000

courtesy and copyright from edesignuk

[​IMG]

24. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

What a cutey! I don't really think I'd like to meet him though.

PS Congrats on your ascension Peyton, you took MJs hints very literally. ;)

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hmm. I have 5 pages to go on a 10 pages paper, due in seven hours. And I'm procrastinating reading a thread about someone else procrastinating.

Ah, the beauty of the internet!