The Engineering Soul

Discussion in 'Community' started by MongoTheGeek, Apr 17, 2004.

1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I have been having issues with my garage door opener. After attempting to sort out the tribological issues I realized that the pulley in the system was off its axis and was rubbing on the bearings.

I took off the pulley and attempted to fix it to no avail. Then I went back to my engineering roots and beat the crap out of the pulley with a hammer. The pulley is fixed and the door works.

WooHoo!

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ah, indeed. hammers are good. as an engineer myself i must say (something fimiliar i have heard various versions of) if a hammer doesnt fix it. . . get a bigger hammer!

but. . . the real engineering side of me would recomend you go to the hardware store and get a new replacement pully. . . it will last longer than breaking out the hammer every couple of months.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MongoTheGeek, please forgive me if I don't ask for your help next time I have to fix a computer.

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, that should depend on what kind of engineer he is, but we already know his skils with beating stuff with hammers, so that might help your computer. ;)

P-Worm

5. MongoTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I have a soldering iron for computers. :)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It does seem that if all else fails use a hammer and beat on the problem. Glad to hear of your success.

My father was good at fixing just about anything. I found that it isn't inherited. I would get frustrated and quit. Always knew that my father would be home. He would lose his temper with me. With age I have gotten better with some things. Still better at taking things apart than putting them back together. :eek:

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

hammers rock but sledgehammers are the ****.
    i got to bust one out at work while trying to disassemble a metal rack that was built into a sloping crawlspace...im sure the customers directly below the crawlspace were disconcerted to hear BAM BAM ****, BAM BAM ****, every few minutes.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

some might say that application of brute force is directly proportional to IQ :D

I know I've had my share of hammering things into place - although, it doesn't always work. Its sometimes best to apply subtlety instead - that or just replacing the offending part :p

D

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i think it flips back and forth each generation...

my father couldn't fix anything and somehow i became a self-taught handyman.

and i'm not above swinging a hammer on an uncooperative appliance. this week i've been using a friend's electric jackhammer...talk about pure destructive satisfaction.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've found that a good threat sometimes works with equipment too. If I say "Listen, toaster, if you burn this one you're going out with the trash", and I mean it, the toaster invariably behaves itself. For the same reason, maybe just carrying a hammer into the room will fix a computer that thinks you might use it.

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I've found talking to the gauge on the gas tank works well, too :D