The EU is improving our enviroment from 5000 miles away.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, May 16, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

There is more. Interesting story, but just further evidence that business is put before society here.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The EU in regards to environmental causes is definitely the new California.

It makes sense for them where the governement is responsible for the majority of health care. It's too bad that US business isn't held responsible anymore for their collective products of death. I've always maintained that the LD50 or toxicity of any particular chemical is a sham. Who lives in a world where they will only be exposed to one chemical? It's the cumulative effect of all these chemicals that is extremely worrrying to me. Yet business in the US continues to hide behind the maxim of "Don't look at me, my chemical is safe at this dosage."

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I would personally like to thank the EU Parliament for forcing US business to clean up its act. Since my own government is unwilling to protect my health, I have to rely on my European counterparts to force the market on these issues. Thank you.

4. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're very welcome
    :D

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, it seems that local government in the US is interested in the matter, not least due to health issues. Mayor Nickels of Seattle has brought together a group of mayors from across the nation and from both parties to support Kyoto. These are the men and women who are on the firing line when the air isn't clean, and the water is poisonous. Wanna bet that bushco will find a way to make it illegal for them to enact laws that surpass what congress has written? LA and Houston have already tried this and have run into massive headwinds coming from DC. How can it be illegal to have clean air and water?

Of course, he'll still say he supports states' rights, but we all know the truth about that, only if it's in his best interests and doesn't impact big business.

Link

7. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Bushco is trying to frame this legislation as being a form of trade barrier.

Which is dumb, because it is not exclusive to US manufacturers. And as shown, it does not make it impossible for the US to sell goods in the EU.

But that doesn't mean they won't try something underhanded and dirty eventually.