The Euro 2004 Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaty, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Zaty macrumors 65816

Only one week to go until Euro 2004 kicks off. To all the football (soccer) fans out there, who do you think will win the cup in Portugal? My favourites are France but Holland and Italy will probably also have their say on that. Of course, I also hope that my Swiss will play well.

2. iGav macrumors G3

France will win it... ;)

And I'm not entirely convinced that England will go through... :eek: I'm thinking Croatia might just edge us. :eek: ;)

From what I've seen of England, we're not playing at all well, even though we thrashed Iceland today, I'm thinking that France would have put a good 10 past them. :eek:

2 questions, what are England playing calamity in goal?? he's total and utter ****e, and (at risk of upsetting Liverpool fans on here) WTF is Owen doing there as well?? :confused: :rolleyes:

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

My bet goes to Spain. Portugal has a good chance, too, because they play at home. Of course, France is one of the favorites.

I'm wondering what the Germans will do. They have a hard group with the Netherlands and Czech Republic. I hope they make it to the semifinals at least.

4. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

lol, I thought this was about the currency...Market predictions for 2004 or something...Geez...I'm such a loser.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Gav, Owen's there because of the possibilities he represents. Sure, he's not looking at his best right now, but it doesn't take a second to score, and when he starts he won't stop. He has produced the goods on the big stage, and I'd back him to do it again. It depends on how Beckham and Gerrard play, and which version of Scholes turns up on the day.

If Rooney can stay on the park it could be interesting.

Jesse James, one shot and you're dead, he's a vampire y'know.... hates crosses....

I got a million of em...

I'd go for France too, although the defence is looking a bit old now, but a team with Henri and trezugey up front and Viera and Zidane in the midfield will always fugure.

I quite fancy Italy too.

England will make the quarter-finals, maybe.

7. Steradian macrumors 6502

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My money's on France. I don't think Italy can do it, nor Portugal. Spain may, but I doubt it. England is my second pick, but only because I want them to win!! :D

And Owen is crap the majority of time. He'll play bad "because he's injured", but then he played well for a second, and now he sucks again. And I hope England isn't relying on Rooney to do anything. He's decent, but if England is relying on these 2 strikers, they're in trouble. World-Cup-2002 Owen was bad.

Also, England seems to keep the same players on the team every tournament because of sentimental reasons of something. There are a few players on that team who don't deserve to be on the team based on their performance over the past year or two, but they're playing anyway.

I'm trying to give an objective opinion, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to win!

Hope Owen and Rooney are terrific!

9. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    they have a tough group

holland, czech republic

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

it is going to be interesting whoever wins. i love it when there is football on tv every day of the week (i dont hav sky!) as for england, who knows how they will do, i would love for them to win though.my guess either france or portugal

12. iGav macrumors G3

Owens been poor the last handful of England games he's played in. He was nowhere yesterday even with a couple of tasty chances.

He's had a poor season, admitedly he's been injured for alot of it, but he simply isn't in form and he shouldn't have been picked... it's no good playing him hoping that he might stumble upon his form because if he doesn't, he's dead wood and when you're playing teams with the strength of France, Portugal, Spain and Italy you need a striker that can put the ball in the back of the net, and if Owen can't even get on a 6-1 scoresheet against the likes of Iceland, then he's unlikely to against say France or Portugal. The opposition has sussed his game and can mark him out of it, and this is been done relatively consistantly now.

Sven should have tried to convince Shearer back for a one off tournament, he's still by far and away the most effective English hitman and can play out of position as and when required, something that Owen isn't especially effective at doing.

This is a recurring problem with England managers throughout the last couple of decades. :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely convinced by Sven as a manager, he does abit too much experimentation for my likely and as such the team never looks settled. He also has a habit of completely ignoring in form players, like you said deciding to pick players on past credit as opposed to current form. Although that doesn't explain what Calamity is doing guarding the net. :rolleyes:

13. the future macrumors 6502a

#1 Favourite

France. They have the best individual players and work together strongly as a team. They'll only have a problem if Zidane doesn't play very well (and the decline of Real Madrid over the last couple of weeks may have hurt his confidence...)

The Other Favourites

Italy. Great defense (as always), and Totti is probably the best player in Europe at the moment. Their problem is coach Trapatoni who's strategy is always just too defensive, eternally trying to defend that precious, precious 1-0. In Japan/South Corea it didn't work...

Portugal. It's the last chance of the "golden generation" (Figo, Rui Costa et al.) to win anything, and in front of a home crowd. Problem: nerves.

Czech Republic. Amazing midfielders (Nedved and Rosicky), great strikers (Koller and Baros), solid defense. Great team spirit (probably). Problem: the team is quite young and the Czechs haven't had much success over the last couple of years. Maybe not quite in the shape they were in a year ago.

Considerable Forces

England. Some great individual players, lots of competition within the team, probably good team spirit. Problem: maybe lacking some creativity. Oh, and just knowing they'll screw up one way or the other, like they have for almost 40 years now...

Germany. Maybe the first team to become european champions without a single goal from a striker! Horrible, horrible strikers. Great midfielders, though (Ballack, Schneider, Hamann), and probably a solid defense. And they're able to focus on a tournament like no-one else. Problem: them strikers...

Holland. Fantastic strikers (Van Nistelrooy and Makaay), strong, yet sometimes strangely uninspired midfielders, mediocre defense. Problems: hilariously bad team spirit, boring coach, a history of screwing up that is only matched by England.

Spain. They're always, like, good, but never really good enough, are they? They will have a promising start and then unexplicably fail. Problem: a curse maybe?

Dark Horses

Sweden. Sometimes they go far. But probably not this time. Watch out for: Ibrahimovic.

Denmark. Sometimes they... you can guess the rest. Watch out for: Tomasson.

Bulgaria. Some very interesting players. If their defense is any good, they will reach the quarter finals. Watch out for: Berbatov.

Greece. Lots of enthusiam as they qualified for the first time for a big tournament in ages. Beat Spain in the qualifiers. Watch out for: err...

Also Present

Russia.
    Switzerland.
    Croatia.
    Latvia.

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Though you're not so far off, I think one striker is a very good one and in a very good shape at the moment: Kevin Kuranyi. Fredi Bobic and Miroslav Klose are not too bad, but their actual shape is horrible. Brdaric could become a surprise, but only if he'll play...

And then there's Lukas Podolski. I don't think anyone not from Germany knows him, but he made 10 goals in 19 games and he's just 18. I think he won't play, too, but he could become Germany's striker of the future if he doesn't share the fate of Sebastian Deisler.

15. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess by "also present" you mean no chance to be successful but there are two things to keep in mind:

Switzerland & Croatia play in the same group and will face each other in the first game next Sunday. So, the team who wins that game has a chance to qualify for the second round if France beat England b/c England will then be forced to beat the winner of the match between Switzerland and Croatia to make sure they don't have to fly home after the group stage. As for Russia, never underestimate them as they have the pontial to upset Spain and/or Portugal as well as Greece. As for Lativa, I think they're the only team without a realstic chance to go through to the quarterfinals even though they beat Turkey.

16. the future macrumors 6502a

You're probably right that Switzerland, Croatia and Russia do have a chance to go to the quarter finals... but I had to name someone besides Latvia, hadn't I? And who knows - Latvia did beat Turkey after all... :eek:

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess this time it's a hard question about favourites...

germany played like always rather uninspired before the tournament but they always get better during the tournament (and don't forget their unbelievable luck)

france is perhaps the most balanced team at the moment ... high winning changes but everything depends on zidane..

italy: hands down best defense ... if their strikers are in a good mood they can beat everybody

england: i don't know in what situation their team is but they are always one of the favourites ...

chez republic:very young, talented and most important a 'hungry' team with good team spirit .. i see them going far...

spain: sloppy defense but their offense can compensate it ..if they are in the mood ... can turn around a gun within a few minutes...Raul is perhaps one of the best strikers of the world

holland: lot of problems with team spirit in the last years but if they get their things together then they are perhaps one of the best teams on offense... could make a surprise..

portugal: advantage of playing at home but i doubt they are going far this time...but the team is very experienced....

denmark: could be a surprise but i think they are missing a young michael/brian laudrup

sweden/greece/switzerland/bulgaria/latvia/croatia: some team could surprise but they are rather average

russia:i think they are sometimes underrated..they have a balanced team and some real good players in midfield ...and they are relying on fast counter attacks which could be a real threat for 'bigger' teams ..watch out for titov

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Nice :)

To be honest, I don't expect too much (at least judging by the way we are playing the last couple of weeks)....
    The Germans are ALLWAYS a threat, and we have lost to the Czech Republic a couple of times already!
    I just hope we survive our first round matches :rolleyes:

My favorites:
    France (best team)
    Portugal (good team, and are the host nation.... 'nuff said)

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Gr8 summary, and totally agree!

Just wanted to highlight the Holland one.

Our screw-up rate must be higher than the English. The way we miss penalties.... OMG. Unbelievable (remember Italy last time...?).
    Many in Holland believe we should win, because of the combined income of all our football stars. They seem to play gr8 overseas (at their own clubs), but once they wear the orange shirt, they just seem to get so uninspired.

Pretty frustrating to watch....

Germany should wake 'em up. That's a classic!

20. the future macrumors 6502a

OMG! I had almost forgotten that match! That was truly unbelievable and quite hilarious/sad (depending on which team you rooted for)! Holland was so much better than Italy, it was almost like they were too bored and/or arrogant to score against those lousy Italians (well, lousy on that day) – and in the end they lost a match that was almost impossible to lose. On home turf as well!

You're probably right about your screw-up rate as well because over the last, say, 20 years Holland always had a better team than England and still screwed up (except 1988, of course...).

But if you don't beat Germany this time, it will probably be getting more difficult again in the years to come with their own world cup hype and all...

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

How right you are. And Germany has quite a young team which will get better, so they'll be there next time round. But our "stars" will be long gone in a couple of years.... and not much new talent coming either.

I just hope this Holland side really wants to win.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well about the world cup 2006 (which i'm going to visit if i don't have any exams ;) )...the oh so nice FIFA gave Anheuser-Bush an exclusive contract...in 2006 only the 'american budweiser' *cough*soft drink *cough* is going to get sold in german football stadiums....

i hope the guys who decided this have to drink budweiser for the rest of their life.....arghhhhhhhhhh

23. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Really? Eewww. Plörre ;)

But I thought in German stadiums they only sell alcohol-free beer since one or two years ago? Did the FIFA change this?

24. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

you got it, bro