The European GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, May 29, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So then... after the NASCAR style race in Monaco last week, we find ourselves somewhat spoiled with back to back races, and this time at the legendary Nürburgring (well whats left of it that is :eek: :p ).

After final qualifying, it appears as though normal service has been resumed for Schumi, chalking up his 60th Pole (only 5 behind equalling Senna's long standing record, that should fall this season) with an absolutely supreme lap over half a second quicker than Sato in 2nd place, and really looking smooth.

Bridgestones are rumoured to be running a harder race tyre that although lacking in ultimate one lap pace, is supposed to be exceptional over a stint, where as the Michelins drop 2-3 seconds according to Brundle.

I'm guessing that both the Renaults and BAR are running 1-2 laps lighter than Schumi, Shell are rumoured to have fuel that is substantially lighter than its competition and allowing the Ferrari's to run 1-2 laps more fuel at the same weight to other teams.

I don't think Schu is running light, his lap was smooth and pretty awesome, and he never looked like he was wringing the neck for the last tenth. Rubens has to be on a different strat, he's way behind, so I'm figuring that he's got maybe 2-3 more in than Schu, but should be looking good after the 2nd set of stops.

Button was a major disappointment, people were raving about his 2nd place in Monaco, but he was somewhat flattered there by running seriously light in quali, and lucking in with 2 drivers ahead of him going out. Being whooped by Sato is less than impressive so I'll be looking for a strong run from him tomorrow, but I think he'll be compromised somewhat by his strat.

So for my predictions for the race... (as long as he's not taken out) Schu will win (although I think he'll only take the lead after the 1st set of stops, as Trulli is running way light, and that Renault can out drag anything from a standing start). Rubens 2nd, Trulli 3rd, Button 4th. Sato will blow up as will Kimi. R Schumacher 5th, Montoya 6th.

What are people thinking to the new proposed qualifying??

2 20 minute sessions with no fuel restrictions, and the final time is aggregated over the 2 sessions, meaning that you'll have to go balls out over 2 sessions when track conditions could change substantially. And after quali, cars can be filled up for the race.

It sounds better than the current format, but I'm not entirely convinced. I like Brundles suggestion of returning to the old 1 hour format, with 12 laps, but you have to do one run every 15 minutes, and must use all your tyres, any sets that aren't used are written off, and cannot be used for the race.

Also the Safety Car rules could well be changed, meaning that as soon as a SC is deployed, the pits are closed, and thus not allowing teams to take cheeky pit stops, also that the SC won't switch it's lights off as early on it's last lap to stop incidents like last week occuring, I'm not sure about that as tyre and brake temps won't be up to scratch, thus increasing the likely hood of a incident on the first lap of green flag racing.

Thoughts?

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah sadly they turned both german racing tracks into "lady-tracks"
    well i can understand the decision to leave out the legendary nordschleife because it's dangerous with all it's corners and it's a bit too long
    but hockenheim ? the old hockenhei mtrack was always exiting because it was the absolute highspeed course which take engines,brakes and drivers to it's limits and now ? completly boring ..what's next ? skipping the famous Eau Rouge in Spa ?

i think the suggested qualifying wil be a lot more exiting than the current one i'm glad they coming back to the refilling after qualifying... that opens a lot of doors for different tactics like some driving 1 pit stop strategy and others 3 stop strategy in the same race...
    with the current it looks like everybody is either driving 3 stops or everybody driving 2 stops ....
    i have no idea about the old one..might be good too

and i can't wait to see some overtaking again in a race outside of the first lap (bring on the SLICKS)

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

How about when they skip Spa altogether?

And have a race in some rich guy's backyard in Mongolia instead.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Incredible. The FIA really needs to shake up the rules. But can he be stopped?

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Its not the FIA, its the other teams that need to do a better job. Look at BAR - they are doing a fantastic job this year. Where is McLaren and BMW ?

Cheers

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    schumi is just in a class of his own, shaking up the rules cant change that, because he will just find a way to dominate

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Montoya is the most stupid driver ever

Montoya is the most stupid driver ever. He kicked out Ralf in the first corner. That unbelievable. One Schumi every weekend.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

man mclaren-mercedes has serious problems.... 2 blown up engines :rolleyes:

as for the montoya-ralf thing....at the moment i would try to avoid both at the moment....both are a little bit to often involved in accidents the last time....

gladly there were quite a few overtakings ... not too boring race

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

13. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

That's a shame, you misssed some tight racing further down the field, especially between Sato and Rubens, Button and DC and Montoya working his way back through the field.

Either way not the greatest of races from a spectacle point of view, I was surprised that Schu was running 1 lap lighter than Kimi, and multiple laps less than Sato, I think that somewhat demonstrates the one lap superiority of the Michelin's over the one quali lap. It was interesting what Brundle said before the start that Schu could have run atleast another 4 laps worth of fuel and still been on pole, hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

In the race though Schu monstered everyone, coming in at a solid 8 tenths faster than the next fastest lap, and we should consider that usually during the races this year, Schu has been able to match his quali time in each race, so this demonstrates that he had about a second more in his pocket should he have needed it.... that really is quite astounding when you think about it. :eek:

Again we see Montoya driving into someone, and taking them out of the race, this isn't just a coincidence now, it's twice in 2 races, and both times he was the car behind. I really think something has to be done about him as he's beginnng to ruin peoples championships through his total lack of respect of his other competitors. I get the impression that his 'best overtaker in F1' tag relies more on him over commiting to a move, and hoping the other driver gives way, and when they don't and he's forced to back off, he cries like girl, calling the other driver names.

This is after all the guy who called Schu 'blind or stupid' after he tried to overtake on the outside in Imola (literally an impossible move) yet in 2 consecutive races he takes out 2 drivers, and this isn't the only time. In the U.S. GP last year he took Rubens out (and he moaned about that then saying how it had ruined his championship) either way I'd like to see the odd's on both Schumachers putting him in the wall this season as payback. ;) and I really hope that happens. :eek:

I was most impressed with Sato's drive, he had a superb start retaking 2nd from Trulli, and was second only to Schu in the speed stakes. His lack of experience showed though with his 'attempted' overtaking move on Rubens, and that brings back some memories of him in 2002 crashing out every race and for that I have to disagree with Brundles 'Best Driver of the Day Award'. He's very, very fast though, and I really do like what I'm seeing from his driving, and he seems like a top bloke too.

Again a pretty non-descript drive from Button, not only was he heavily out qualified by Sato, he was also half a second a lap slower in the race. Either way, I'm beginning to think that Button is way over hyped, second race in a row he's lucked in, but luck will only get you so far. He really does need to up his speed, because Sato is looking mightily impressive and at the moment Sato is making much greater strides than Button in his driving performance.

McLaren are still no where to be found. I'd now suggest that they're about the 8th best team in F1 at the moment, above only Minardi and Jordan, and even then atleast Jordan are finishing races. Along with Williams, McLaren are lacking about 2 seconds a lap to the Ferrari's (and that could be nearer 3 had Schu actually nailed it), either way I think that gap is tooooooo big for either team to recover during the season through developments alone. And I'm not entirely convinced that they'll be able to make that up during the off season either.

On to Canada next... should suit the Ferrari just dandy. ;) Either way, Schu and Ferrari are looking way more dominant than they were in 2002.

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

STOP with that sh*t!

I've said before and will hold my statement, it's not your fault actually ... it's the newspaper, radio, TV... GOD! Since Montoya became a rival to "Schumi" (Brazil GP 2001, overtaken after safety car), the german media has been more than hard with the Colombian guy and it has been the monster here in Germany since then, whatever happens in a GP , it's Monty's fault... forget it! The media just want to destroy whoever comes near shumacher, they don't care about barrichello, of course Shumi has been a good driver and has good results for his fans, but stop the SH*T! , German media should go often to USA races... there is real action and where is Monty has learned...

BILD Zeitung... Grrr! :mad:

About what happened today ... research a bit before posting... Barrichello braked earlier than normal and panis on the other side sent Montoya to Ralf, it could have been another driver, Montoya is not behind whoever has the name schumacher...

I hate the media... and YES! I live in Germany, I like this country , but it's lost time trying to talk about such a figure like schumi is... :mad:

16. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Hopefully Sato will have some better luck, although he obviously was a bit reckless causing the contact with Rubens and ruining his chance at the podium.

Meanwhile back in Indianapolis...it's raining again. The commentators are discussing the merits of rain tires on an oval suggesting the speeds are too high to run them. I kind of like the concept of a combination drifting contest/race though. :p

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not really. Schumi himself said he probably wouldn't have been able to challenge Button in Monaco had he not DNF'd.

18. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well that was an exciting race, yawn.

i think the only person who is more boring than schumi is barichello.

you have to laugh at mclaren though. oh and ralph.

19. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

He lucked in... had it not been for the second SC period Button would have been no where near Schu. Remember Schu was ahead after the 1st set of stops and was much fastesr. Had the SC not had to come out again, Button would have been 4th, as it would have been Trulli, Alonso, Schu, and then Button.

What we were robbed of, is a really spectacular race after that 2nd SC period when Schu had 17 laps of fuel to pull out a 18 second lead (and we should consider that Schu had the fastest car on the day) and we all know what Schu is capable of in these situations. Hungary 1998 is a prime example. He also broke the lap record several times in a row at Monaco before he was taken out.

But basically Button lucked in ;) as he did at the Nurburgring aswell. ;) So I'm not buying into his hype at all at the moment. If he's as good as the hype, he should be nailing Sato, and that just isn't happening, yet Sato is making great strides in his own performance. Unless Button can raise his game, I think he's in a lot of trouble.

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

It was clearly Montoya's fault (Even Montoya's biggest fan, Martin Brundle agreed) Montoya had locked up, and went for a gap that simply wasn't there. But it's not the first time he's done that at the same corner at the same track. Remember when he rammed DC out a couple of seasons ago in the same place, and in a similar manner.

At the moment, Montoya drives into too many people going for spaces that aren't there and relying on the other driver giving way otherwise both will be taken out. (Rubens at Indy last year). Look at all the incidents involving Montoya since he's been in F1. :eek: :p

He's a great driver, that is beyond a doubt, but at the moment he simply hasn't lived up to his hype and still makes far too many errors (I'm thinking he's impatient, and is easily wound up) and is hugly unprofessional on occasions (French GP last season, press conference in Oz this year) and he moans far to much when he's on the receiving end of some hard racing (Imola this year, still moaning about Indy last year).

We'll see how good he is when he goes up against Kimi next season. But my money's on the ice man nailing him. ;)

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

If one did, the other one as well...

Sure, he did lock early, because of RB did as well, he knew Ralf was beside and sure Montoya was not waiting for ralf to take him out, just a touch with panis on the other side and everything went wrong...

of course, it's a pity that he has been involved in those cases recently, actually is part of racing and some fun for the people but what I really want to point is the way you can/may refer to someone, words like "stupid" shouldn't be welcome in any case, just read some articles of the german newspaper "BILD" and ... GOD! they jsut started against Takuma, Kamikazee starts beside schumi, says the BILD, oh, and on the RTL TV channel , the same sad reporter asks: "Who won the last GP, Trulli with the funny hairstyle or Button with the classical hair? " ... Patetic... there is no way people here can be partial... I admire schumi but always try to avoid the schumi blind fans... of course Monty is not perfect and I'm not blind-fan I just enjoy the race and hope for some action and fun on the way... but wishing a good race from Juan Pablo, Kimi, Jenson and now Takuma... Schumi has a lot of supporters behind , and Barrichello.. ummm, his place in formula 1 is really boring, wants to look like the bad guy who can beat schumi and at the end he knows what he must do... :rolleyes: , sad ...

Colombian newspapers never go behind the Schumacher name, they are gentlemen when they write about the sport... Auf Wiedersehen! :mad:

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

That's what annoyed me about Montoya after Imola, when he started his infamous 'blind or stupid' rant about Schu, and then proceeded to pull up an incident he caused (again) last year, and started claiming he was unfairly punished etc etc and how if his name was Schumacher he wouldn't have been punished.

Of course, Montoya had conveniently forgotten about Schu gaining a penalty in Maylasia earlier in the year for driving into another car, much like Montoya did yesterday. Yet, Montoya is now escaping these penalties that Schu gets punished for. Strange that.

Yet after he causes 2 avoidable incidents this year, involving himself taking out 2 other drivers from behind, all of a sudden he goes quiet and says nothing. That makes him a hypocrit and that's only marginally better than being a liar.

I can understand the German press getting behind Schu, it's no different to how the Brit press gets behind our drivers. Just look at Mansell Mania or how they're hyping Jense to the hilt. And then look at their views about Schu, that he's a cheat (taking out Hill in '94, yet completely forgetting about Hill knocking Schu out at Silverstone the following year) boring, lacking emotion etc etc.

Had Schu been British of course, all the British press would be marvelling about him, how he demonstrated perfectly the essence of British grit and determination and the whole British Bulldog attitude, how fantastic, and amazing and everything he is.

But because he's German, and the fact that alot of Brits (especially the media) can't stand the Germans, then the issues become even more prominent and hateful. But to a fair it's no different to how the French and Brazilian media behaved during the height of the Prost/Senna feud. With Brazillian press causing a stink in 1989 claiming that the Head of FIA (who happened to be French) had penalised Senna and sided with Prost (also French) after the Suzuka incident handing Prost the championship.

Either way... I love Montoya's attack at all cost attitude, but he's never going to win the WDC unless he learns that he needs to calm himself down in certain situations and see the bigger picture of the championship as a whole and not as the 1 race. And that's where I think he's going to run into problems with Kimi next season. Kimi is ice cold, much like Schu, and I think that's going to seriously rattle Montoya.