The European Mac users thread...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MOFS, Jun 11, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

MOFS

Ok - here are the rules for this thread:
    1. Do not talk about Fight Club...

Oh, wrong thread. OK, basically this thread is sort of a meeting place for all European users of Macs on Mac Rumours, ok? I'll allow anyone who was born in Europe but moved elsewhere (eg the guy with the Liver bird as his avatar), but NOT anyone who moved from elsewhere TO Europe. I have ways of telling, involving a fiendishly difficult quiz, that only someone from Europe would know, geddit? So introduce yourself, tell us why you got a Mac in the first place (since we all know Apple's impressive heh heh track record in advertising in Europe and introducing new services:p ).

Here goes...

I'm Mike, a medical student studying in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK. I currently own an iBook, my first computer. I was first introduced to Macs by a friend of my parents who bought my family a Performa 5200! Great computer, loved it to bit, so thats why I use Macs.

See, that wasn't too hard!;)

2. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Im Tiago, from Lisbon, Portugal. I was introduced to macs in 1984 and I currently own a PowerMac G4 DP 1GHz and a Powerbook G4 550Mhz. I love them both and i couldnt live without them.

BTW, we should make a Macrumors European Geekfest! Problem is to arrange a place for us all... Maybe a beach in Portugal, so we could all be geeks while having our feet wet on the ocean! :D

3. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Enforcement will be an issue as to the lack of mod powers ;)

But as one who was born in Johannesburg, South Africa can I be the honorary mod?

D :D

4. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hi, I'm Boris from Elmshorn, Germany (near Hamburg). I bought my first mac, an iMac DV SE, three years ago and still use it to write these lines. Of course, I'm waiting to buy a new one...

I switched, because when I made my military service, I got to know someone who told me everything about it and how superior macs are and so on. Well, so I bought one and never looked back.

I studied maths and now work for an insurance company, being responsible for parts of their software working right.

@Tiauguinho: Well, as soon as the Euro Cup is there in 2004, it would be a good occasion, wouldn't it?

5. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

It would be an excelent ocasion, so you can see Portugal winning the Euro and make our geekfest, while celebrating with beer! :D

6. macrumors regular

Evening all...

I'm Al. Live in London, although spiritual home is Edinburgh. Student. Pismo. First Apple was an LCII, then Performa (which both still work despite the monitor flicker).

Europe Geekfest... interesting! Got to be in London, though! ...capital of 'new' Europe.... Or Paris Apple expo thingy!

So, feelings on the Euro then?

- Al

7. macrumors 68000

Veldek

@Tiauguinho: Well, you will laugh, but Portugal is one of my favourites for this cup. But I really hope for a final Portugal vs. Germany, of course.
    Being in Portugal in summer, watching football and having a beer? Sounds great!

@pinks: Yeah, what about the British people not wanting the Euro? I like the idea very much and am happy to have it.

8. macrumors 6502

Greetings all.
    My names Aidan and i'm a medical student(just finished 1st year) at UCC in Cork,Ireland.
    I'm writing this on 667MHZ powerbook G4.Got my mac last august before college started.I had an interest in macs for a while but spent about a year buying magazines and visiting forums like this to suss out the platform. I'm delighted that i switched.
    I'm about to buy a digital camera so now my mac will be more integral in my life than before.

9. macrumors 68000

Veldek

I also think about getting a video camera, so I can film interesting occasions and burn them on DVD. Not before I bought the new mac, of course...;)

10. macrumors 6502

Has anyone here been to Cork or Ireland for that matter? If so what did you think?

Places in Europe i've visited include:
    Portugal(Algarve)
    Italy(Florence,Venice,Milan)
    Wales and England.

11. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Never been to Ireland, but know someone who was. Just heard things like "wonderful" and so on. I bet, you love your home.

I've been to Denmark, Netherlands, Czech, Austria, Italy and Hungary, but that's all ages ago, at least if I can trust my memory...

12. macrumors 601

zimv20

hi i was born in the US and still live here and really have no business on this thread but -- i'd like to take the quiz!

13. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

To Boris: :) Glad to know that you count us as favorites. I surely hope that Figo will be in good health! We gonna need him a lot! As for beer and football... those are a perfect match, but even better if we gather them with Macs, while on a caffee on the beach!

To Angelus: nice to hear that you have been to Algarve. I surely hope that you were able to see the typical and isolated parts of it, cause now, algarve is turning into a place for mass tourism and is loosing its quality. Now its rare to find a cool and isolated beach( if you go there again I recommend you to stay here: http://www.saorafael.com/ It's very calm and isolated and the beach is almost private, its perfect for a relaxed vacations)

14. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Although I'm not the one who said there would be a quiz, how about this one? It's quite old, but perhaps it gains a laugh or two.

So, what is wrong on this picture?

[​IMG]

15. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's czech republic, not switzerland... eh? ;)

16. macrumors newbie

hehe

I'm from the Netherlands, but I'm living in Switzerland (damn...I'll leave this country when I will have finished school..at least I hope so..I really don't like Europe..Europe sucks..Japan or Africa..that'd be nice..but Europe..:()

I bought a PowerMac G4 800 Dual with L3 in April 2002..I switched from Windows..thank god I did..just upgraded to 832 MB RAM..now I like my mac even more :)

@Veldek: Well I live in switzerland, but not in the Czech Rep. :)

17. macrumors 68000

Veldek

You're right, of course. Isn't it scary, how CNN didn't get this right. And I know another one which is even worse. There was Germany labelled as Iraq, which isn't even near...

Well, I think MOFS' quiz will be much harder.

18. macrumors newbie

well...CNN..it's one of those stupid (sorry, but that's the way it is..compare CNN to a serious tv station) news tv stations..

damn watch CNN..it just sucks lol..it's more entertainment than news :)

19. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm an american..... thusly, i had to check a map to see what was wrong. :)

but, at least i'm resourceful! :)

20. macrumors 68000

Veldek

That's what makes a quiz real hard for proofing one is from Europe. They can always search the internet to find the answer.
    Anyway, I'm going to bed. But I hope this thread will stay.

21. macrumors newbie

well another quiz then..how are The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg called together?

:D

22. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

23. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

The BeNeLux countries

24. macrumors 603

shadowfax

oooohhh, Euro Quiz. i want in! (i'm a stinking american, but i should have been born in Denmark... my middle name is åge, last name Lundgård).

25. Guest

caveman_uk

Hi my name's caveman_uk (Steve)...and I'm a mac user...

It's so good talking to other addicts:D Anyway, I live in the UK and I'm a European - even though a lot of my countrymen seem to think we're actually just below Iceland in the mid-Atlantic. I first bought a mac (my ibook 'nomad') 'cos I was looking for a Unix laptop and was initially looking at running Linux on a laptop but as it looked like being hit by a car would be more fun than getting Linux to work 100% on a laptop I looked around and find OSX and Apple. I bought 'nomad' in December. In March it was joined by my 1GHz DP MDD powermac (unimaginatively called 'powermac':( ) and they are both very happy. I am now x86 free:D

OK a question. Capital of Lichtenstein? No cheating!