The Exorcism of Emily Rose (Annaleis Michel)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PaRaGoNViCtiM, Aug 30, 2005.

1. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Hey, I'm just curious if anyone is planning to see the movie, and or what your opinions are on it. I am very undecided as of yet.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The trailer looks VERY creepy. I'm just so jaded from horror movies not living up to their promise that I can't get too enthusiastic about it yet, though.

3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Definitely want to see it if it gets good reviews...
    Looks like it could be really good, but to echo pervious statements, horror movies havent been living up to the hype recently, so Im def not going to be the first in line at the theater.

4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I know! I saw the Ring 1 and I thought it was fair. But if you watch it at your own house it's horrible. I saw the Ring 2 and it sucked. It wasn't scary. It was just a bunch of deer running into a car (everyone in the theater was laughing like crazy) and the lady fighting the girl and the kid had hypothermia, etc. I amazingly spent $10 to see Boogyman with a couple friends of mine, and we laughed through the WHOLE thing. We were the only people there and at one point in the movie I shut my eyes because it was so dull.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Ever since the first Spider Man movie came out and I wasted my money on that I've made a point of not seeing movies in theaters. After weeks of my friends offering to go see Sin City again because it was good enough they'd come see it again I finnally went and saw it. Now that was worth it, but 999 out of every thousand movies released are BRUTAL.

Ok maby that's a bit much but in all honesty there's only about 2 movies that come out every year that I think are worth seeing.

6. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Nope, not seeing it, not even when on dvd.
    I am not religious, so no problem with being scared about this movie.
    I refuse to waste energy by going into a chrisitian bashing rant.
    I hate 99.5% of hollywood movies on top of that.
    Burn Hollywood BURN!

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Funny how the scarriest movies I always see are rated PG-13. This is, The Ring and The Grudge were. All rated the same as a Harry Potter movie. :p

8. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Exorcist rip-off BS; see Land of the Dead instead

Emily Rose looks like an Exorcist rip-off that justifies itself by being based on a 'real' story. BS! Demonic possession is no more real than alien abductions. I am not surprised that there are people out there who take this chit seriously; I guess it is the flip-side of calling every second lucky escape on the news a 'miracle'. If you accept that miracles happen then logically things like curses, ghosts and evil spirits are also a part of your world.

If you want to see a good horror movie go and see Land Of The Dead. No 'real' stories inspired that and no explanations are given for why the dead would walk. The movie just works because half the fun was watching zombies get blown apart or watching zombies take the living apart.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

For some odd reason, I can't be scared by horror films. I suppose that's why I don't watch them all that much. On a side note, funny story:

A couple years ago, the girl I was seeing at the time and I rented Ringu (for those of you who don't know, it's the original Japanese film that inspired the more popular version). Long story short, it scared her to death. She went to bed about five minutes after I did that night, and at the time, I had a television in the bedroom that was plugged in but wasn't hooked up to cable. I had the remote hidden under a pillow, and after about five minutes of talking in the dark, I discreetly hit the power button. ;) I got a good laugh out of it.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Which just goes to show that movies don't have to have a lot of gore, or nudity, or foul language to be scary. At age 35, I acknowledge that I'm an old geezer (by MacRumors standards, anyways); but I've seen a lot of scary movies, and some of the scariest (or at least most suspenseful) ones were made years ago. "Wait Until Dark" comes to mind, as well as several of Hitchcock's movies.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Looks way too lame for my liking. It's a shame because they could have done so much, but it seems instead they chose to go down the "mimic The Exorcist" route. :(

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Haha, the real story is based on is the Exorcist movie. The movie was made, so it is a real story in the movie.

Has anyone seen "Dark Water". I saw trailers for it at the theater and I didn't understand how it was going to be scary. I mean seriously, to me it looked like there was a leak coming from the apartment upstairs, so she goes upstairs and there is dirty water everywhere. AND OMG how could the door be open and water be everywhere, no one has lived there in 30 years or w/e.

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

When I first heard of the movie I thought it was somehow related the Exorcist movies (like a sequel or prequel or something).

No plans to see it though.

14. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did some research and the consensus seems to be that the real story line is about the lawyer; struggling with depression and her career. It doesn't seem to focus on the exorcism, but on the fact that the priest is being charged with murder, and the lawyer defending him. So I don't know...

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that's because they don't use gore or swearing to get to people... they use psychological creepiness, which is far worse in my opinion.

The Grudge was not as bad as i thought it would be but it gave me the creeps none the less. (mind you my near narcoleptic husband is never awake so i am almost always seeing these things alone in my house)

The Ring scared the crap out of me, i still don't know why, it just did. The Ring 2 was good, but only because it gives some closure and i was less freaked out. ("i'm not your ***** mommy!" yeah, you tell that soggy little brat!!! :D)

this new movie looks creepy too, but it will probably not hold up to the Exorcist, but who knows. seems people are in a race to freak out the world with their movies these days.

16. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it probably won't hold up to the Exorcist!

17. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I to me the moive doesnt look good so I think I will probobly wait untill some reviews come out. On a side note... my sisters name is Emily Rose and she cant stand (/ she freaks out when watching any of the exorcism movies). What a crazy coincidence! :eek: Needless to say when she first saw the trailer she started screaming

18. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hmmm... I thought this was a made-for-TV movie. Guess I was wrong.

The reviews seem to be good and it's enjoying a very healthy B.O intake. So I guess we know who's going to see it now. :D