The extremities of some fanboys/girls.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ChazUK, Sep 19, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

ChazUK

I just read this post on Google+ by Ashley Esqueda.

https://plus.google.com/+AshleyEsqueda/posts/92SDQYNx5Rq

This part struck me the most:

Now, I enjoy the general back and forth over which platform is better than the next and I especially enjoy reading why people like the platforms they use but this kind of extreme passion over something as stupid as a phone is way, way overboard.

I can't stand simple name calling (fandroid, iTard, Wintard for example) but to wish harm on people for giving another platform a whirl (and a good one at that) makes me ashamed to be interested in tech. I do understand there is an element of pure trolling in some of the reaction to Ashley getting an iPhone 5 but I can't help but feel that some of that reaction may have been genuine.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this extreme fanboy/grilism?

2. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I blame the companies. They started to appeal to emotions when they began their "evangelism" programs. Hype marketing and brand building have fueled the flames of emotion and appealed to our tribal instincts. They have made you feel that you are part of the ecosystem you bought into. Its sad.

3. macrumors 68000

Oohara

I'll repost what I wrote in another thread:

Some more input in this thread btw:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1437140&page=3

4. thread starter macrumors 603

ChazUK

Fantastic responses already. A little faith is being restored by those, thank you.

I am dumbstruck by how far all this goes and I've seen plenty of this vs that over the years but this seems way beyond anything I've seen before. Good thing we aren't at football hooliganism levels yet but now long will it be before we see the first fanboy tech brawl?

5. macrumors 68000

Calidude

You neglected the part where she acts like a drama queen and says:
    I mean really. To think that somebody would batter her over it is just ridiculous. She needs to get a life as much as the guys who physically threatened her.

She is kinda hot though. If anything she should worry about being hit on by nerds.

6. macrumors 604

cynics

Sounds like BS. She's not opening that to comments because someone would burst her drama queen bubble.

"I'm so scared I'm not going to attend things. I've gotten threats!!! Instead of getting help I'm going to blog about it!!"

Gimme a break....

7. macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Ashley who?

8. macrumors 601

Technarchy

I think her assesment of both camps is dead on. She isn't disabling comments to avoid iOS and Mac users.