The F Word Will Be Socially Acceptable In 20 Years

Discussion in 'Community' started by deanbo, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanbo macrumors regular

Or so I'm told. Just thought I'd bring it up. Mind you this was a little while ago. (18 years and six months perhaps?)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For those who don't know:

The F word is the word new switchers use when they realise that the F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys don't do anything on Macs. :(

3. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Um... a little elaboration please?

I'm a tolerant person, but this place is getting to me.

andy.

4. mpw Guest

I guess it depends in which social circles you move in, in some it's been acceptable for 20years.

I assume you mean in 20years we'll be seeing "Please ***** vote George X Bush for President 2025"

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It seems to me to have become *less* socially acceptable over the past 20 years.... Or maybe it's just the social circles I move in now compared to then....

6. deanbo thread starter macrumors regular

Saw it on the tele!

God bless TV. The amount of useless but still entertaining information you can get out of it is simply god send.

But some guy on the tele, can't remember who he was, reckoned this word would be socially acceptable in 20 years. It was on the 6 o'clock news.

7. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Ah....

Well in the social circles I move in, it's acceptable. But then I'm 18.

andy.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's all kind of irrelevant because actions speak louder than words. ;)

9. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Actually aren't F9-11 the default keys for Exposé?

Do we blame Working Title productions and Hugh Grant for this? Or is that just bugger? :confused: :rolleyes:

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Socially acceptable in 20 years? I don't [expletive deleted] believe it...

11. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I think it will be sooner than 20 years. Maybe 10 years at the least. The problem is that Americans are sooooooo desensitized that nothing phases us. I believe that it was South Park that was the first show that was allowed to say "a$$hole" for the first time without being bleeped out.

I think the "F" word will probably be socially acceptable on TV and in other places where you wouldn't get in trouble. But, I have a major problem with that. If it's just another word to throw around, it'll most likely lose it's meaning and effect. If I tell someone to go "F" themself today, it has strong meaning and they can probably sense that I am angry or joking. If I said that someone 10 years from now, they'll probably say, "Oh, that guy is such a character." If you're a parent and you have little kids, would you like them saying, "This is some goof ***** meatloaf mom"? I don't think so.

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Two kids 5 and 8 decided that they were going to swear for the first time and be like grown ups. The 8 year old was going to say hell and the 5 year old was going to say @$$. They go downstairs and their mom asks them what they want for breakfast.

The 8 year old said "Ah hell mom, give me some cheerios." Well the mother lit into him something fierce and spanked him hard. She turned to his younger brother and asked him what he wanted.

The 5 year old responded "I don't know, but you can bet your @$$ its not cheerios."

... end brain fart 1 ...

All I said is that these beans are good enough for Jehovah...

... end brain fart 2 ...

My grandfather used to say "Profanity is the attempt of a simple mind to express itself forcefully"

... end brain fart 3 ...

Profanity is a crutch for inarticulate m*****f******s

... end brain fart 4...

.. end message ...

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I think it already is somewhat socially acceptable. Well at least in my school it is. Obviously with my friends it is but even with some teachers. The other day I asked my english teacher the minimum amount of lines for our essay. He said "It doesn't matter cuz I'm gonna fail your sorry ass anyways" :p

I don't really see how a word without a meaning can be so offensive. when someone says 'f' you, literarily what does that mean? sex you??? is that offensive?

14. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

The late Rae Ellis would definitely disagree but swearing is just a natural progression of the English language. Once a word passes critical mass then it must be included as part of the language.

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Swearing seems to be more commonplace nowadays, no question. And although they are "just words", I think that the connotations of these words themselves, and what their use implies, is more what the issue is. Is the N-word a bad word? It's just a word! But look at the implications and impressions it has and the reactions it causes when it is used.

I think with swearing, part of it is a "respect" issue, and a notion that, rightly or wrongly, swearing is more crude, immature and crass - more uncivilized - and unnecessary. And, that people should speak more "properly", respectfully and "intelligently" without having to resort to that type of language.

Oh, and I'm not agreeing with that opinion myself btw, I'm just throwing it out there, as I believe a lot of people see things that way.

16. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Good, so I wont have to apologise anymore for using the F word at work.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Meaning is in people, not words. It's a post modern phenom thing.
    I tried this one out on my older brother of about 11 years when I was like 17. His response: "No ****!" :D
    X

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

South Park is on cable so it's not put to the same standards that over-the-air broadcasts are. Many, many things on cable used "@sshole" before South Park.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear "fsck" on over-the-air channels in less than 20 years. Hell, I think 20 years ago just saying "hell" on TV raised eyebrows.

Lethal

19. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

**** yeah! that's [expletive deleted] awesome!

20. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

well doesn't that just take the fun out of saying it. :(

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

It's already accepted in Canada. [expletive deleted] eh.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Its been socially acceptable in Britland for at least 35 years.[expletive deleted] right. :p

23. twgibson macrumors newbie

24. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I just feel bad for the mods that have to edit this thread. :p

25. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.